jordi1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I want to do the spa managent course abd buxton campus is the only uni in the uk that do that course but I have heard it is a quiet place and I wanted to go to a lively uni with good places to go for drinks with uni friends. Can anyone help me please? Is buxton a boring uni to be at?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jordi1995)
Hi I want to do the spa managent course abd buxton campus is the only uni in the uk that do that course but I have heard it is a quiet place and I wanted to go to a lively uni with good places to go for drinks with uni friends. Can anyone help me please? Is buxton a boring uni to be at?
I'd recommend you visit a few before deciding.

but yeah probably in the top 10 quiet campuses
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need to think carefully about what you want from university.

If you are wanting a three year long party, Buxton isn't the place for you.

My guess is that you have not been "top of the class" material throughout your school career. If you go to Buxton to read spa management you are going to be with the keenies. This is the course for people who want to get on in the spa/beauty treatment business regardless of their prior academic performance.
theateam121
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've studied a part time course at Derby previously and my OH currently studies his masters there and we really enjoy it.

The Derby campus is brilliant whilst the Buxton campus may be a little far out of the way but the surroundings of it are beautiful. Buxton does not have a lot of night life so if stumbling home at 3am is your primary concern it's definitely not the one for you. However, if you don't mind having a great night and travelling home at the end of it we've had some brilliant nights out in Derby and even better ones in Manchester as it's so close.

The University itself isn't ranked highly but it's a very small and very friendly university, the lecturers are always willing to go out of their way to help you and you'll meet a great circle of people. It will be quieter than going to a massive campus inner city but I enjoyed the quieter one.

I would honestly hold out though and see who else brings you an offer, if you have to end up in Derby you'll have a great time but that offer also isn't going anywhere so be patient and see who else comes knocking.
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi jordi1995,

Many apologies for my late response.

Although Buxton is a smaller location than Derby City, it has a number of pubs and venues for students and excellent transport links to larger cities such as Manchester, Derby and Nottingham. Buxton is a great place for a lot of other student activities such as outdoor sports and exploration. Find out more at http://www.derby.ac.uk/buxton/campus/buxton-life/

As you already know, the University of Derby is the only higher education institution to offer Spa Management courses at undergraduate level, and you'll benefit from studying in our University-owned Spa, and you'll learn in real world learning facilities.

Personally, I would recommend that you take a look around at an open day to get a feel for the Buxton Campus and the location. Our next open day is on Saturday 15 March - you can book your place at www.derby.ac.uk/opendays

If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch with me directly by emailing [email protected] or by calling 01332 592592.

Best wishes,
Joe Parker, Marketing Assistant
PeterDDewhurst
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Buxton was shortlisted for Great Town of the Year in 2013 and hosts a series of major festivals both within the town and close by (eg the YNOT music festival). Live music is available every night of the week, there are plenty of pubs and some excellent venues and clubs. The University of Derby Buxton has a number of very active student societies and Buxton's students also travel to Manchester by train and Sheffield by car for nights out. However, before you make your decision, why not visit Buxton and meet the staff and students. Our next open day is this Saturday (March 15th), go to www.derby.ac.uk/buxton for further information.

Best wishes

Dr. Peter Dewhurst
Dean of Faculty
Universityof Derby Buxton
Em Lou
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello,

I went to the open yesterday and I really liked, even tho its a town, there was loads of people around and there was loads of pubs around. I hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Undergraduate Open Day - Derby Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Derby
    Undergraduate Open Day - Buxton Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Derby
    Undergraduate Open Day - Chesterfield Undergraduate
    Sat, 9 Nov '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads