The Student Room Group

Would I need a degree to work in marketing and advertising?

If I started at an entry level job would I need a degree, or could I work my way up in the business from the bottom?

Thanks
Reply 1
Bump :biggrin:
don't think so
we had a guess at skl today that did genetic and is working for advertising in the fashion industry
Reply 3
Hi Tilly-Elizabeth. You will absolutely need a degree, preferably in Marketing, and essentially work experience through summer internships or a placement year. Marketing requires numerical, presentation and creative skills which can all be learnt at a good university with help from live work experience. Also, whether rightly or wrongly, the best employers value higher education. With the sheer amount of students in the UK with a degree in relevant subjects, not having one would go against you, just as lack of experience would.

I really hope this helps you make an informed decision. I know some people will disagree with what I've said, but I've been there and done it - it's the brutal truth. In the current market place, it's common for those without a degree experience the 'glass ceiling' in the best jobs in business. Of course there are the few exceptional employees who we don't here about, but to give yourself the best opportunity at achieving what you want from your career, higher education would be a good decision.
Reply 4
Original post by as15633
Hi Tilly-Elizabeth. You will absolutely need a degree, preferably in Marketing, and essentially work experience through summer internships or a placement year. Marketing requires numerical, presentation and creative skills which can all be learnt at a good university with help from live work experience. Also, whether rightly or wrongly, the best employers value higher education. With the sheer amount of students in the UK with a degree in relevant subjects, not having one would go against you, just as lack of experience would.

I really hope this helps you make an informed decision. I know some people will disagree with what I've said, but I've been there and done it - it's the brutal truth. In the current market place, it's common for those without a degree experience the 'glass ceiling' in the best jobs in business. Of course there are the few exceptional employees who we don't here about, but to give yourself the best opportunity at achieving what you want from your career, higher education would be a good decision.

B.S

Its more than possible to work your way up into a marketing company, its all just about getting your foot in the door. I would recommend looking at getting yourself into a marketing company that's willing to pay for your CIM qualification.

I would say CIM + experience > Marketing degree and little experience.

http://www.cim.co.uk/Learn/Qualifications/MarketingQualifications.aspx?Type=profdip

I'm just saying that there is another option out there, unlike what the person above me said. By all means a degree will help but you'd be competing against thousands and thousands of people.
Reply 5
Actually a lot of degrees include the CIM qualification.

If you are up against thousands of people with both of these qualifications surely not being on the same level will not go in your favour? Not saying experience is not important but a lot of grads have BOTH these days through placements in marketing management.

In fact many places require a degree or studying towards one in order to even get your foot in the door. Then again, only from the experience of myself and many others who work for large international corporations
My dad was an aid to two other people helping launch 2 multi million £ business', so no, you don't need a degree.

As for me. I'm broke and useless... Hehe
Reply 7
Original post by as15633
Actually a lot of degrees include the CIM qualification.

If you are up against thousands of people with both of these qualifications surely not being on the same level will not go in your favour? Not saying experience is not important but a lot of grads have BOTH these days through placements in marketing management.

In fact many places require a degree or studying towards one in order to even get your foot in the door. Then again, only from the experience of myself and many others who work for large international corporations

I'm not turning this into a uni vs not going uni debate. I'm just arguing that your answer to the OP's question is wrong; "Would I need a degree to work in marketing?'

The answer is no.
Reply 8
Original post by 7M33R

The answer is no.

You need the whole package. It would be very naive to expect to have an equal chance as someone who has the whole package, which many do these days.But the I guess it depends what you consider to be marketing. You probably could get a job making leaflets for a local double glazing company without one by why not aim as high as possible to to work somewhere really cool and get paid a lot more for the pleasure!

Okay, it's not impossible to work in marketing without a degree but why not want to give your career the best opportunity and do a degree? It really will open so many more doors. Having been through the process many times and now on the other side of the table interviewing, top companies will very rarely consider employing someone who has no degree and experience over a candidate with a relevant degree and experience. Whether right or wrong, or whether you like it or not - that is what's happening. They can afford to be picky and they are.

This may not have applied to the older generation therefore allowing them to build a wealth of experience from employment and hence qualify for more senior position in Marketing. Sadly this isn't the case in entry-level jobs. In order to build up experience in a good company, sometimes you may even need to be working towards a degree to get your foot in the door!

By all means the best of luck to anyone and belive what you want to believe - just some brutal yet honest advice from the industry that if you want to give yourself the best opportunity, go to a good uni, do a placement year and summer internships, get your CIMs and keep up to date with the industry
Reply 9
Original post by as15633

You need the whole package. It would be very naive to expect to have an equal chance as someone who has the whole package, which many do these days.But the I guess it depends what you consider to be marketing. You probably could get a job making leaflets for a local double glazing company without one by why not aim as high as possible to to work somewhere really cool and get paid a lot more for the pleasure!

Okay, it's not impossible to work in marketing without a degree but why not want to give your career the best opportunity and do a degree? It really will open so many more doors. Having been through the process many times and now on the other side of the table interviewing, top companies will very rarely consider employing someone who has no degree and experience over a candidate with a relevant degree and experience. Whether right or wrong, or whether you like it or not - that is what's happening. They can afford to be picky and they are.

This may not have applied to the older generation therefore allowing them to build a wealth of experience from employment and hence qualify for more senior position in Marketing. Sadly this isn't the case in entry-level jobs. In order to build up experience in a good company, sometimes you may even need to be working towards a degree to get your foot in the door!

By all means the best of luck to anyone and belive what you want to believe - just some brutal yet honest advice from the industry that if you want to give yourself the best opportunity, go to a good uni, do a placement year and summer internships, get your CIMs and keep up to date with the industry

That is very patronising, and very insulting to people who don't have degrees, but whatever.

I agree, it does open a load of doors and is a very good thing to have. It is all about getting your foot in the door though, and when that happens it really is up to the person.

I was simply advising the OP that no he/she does not have to go to uni, they could look at getting experience in working in a smaller firm (Yes maybe that does mean making leaflets for a double glazing company :rolleyes:) then with a few years of experience and maybe a CIM level 3 they could apply to a larger company as an experienced hire, and they'll probably be a similar age as most grads but with 3-4 years more experience.

I'm not trying to say either route is better, I'm just saying that there are two routes. Going to Uni doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a job, its a war out there, companies are slowly starting to look at experience more and more because every Tom, Dick and Harry has a degree.

Uni + Experience is awesome but you make it sound so easy, like everyone that goes to uni just jumps on a placement with a big firm. A degree does not get you a job, it gets you an interview, I think a lot of people forget that tbh.
Reply 10
I do still read this thread and your ideas are all great - thanks. :smile:

Original post by 7M33R
Uni + Experience is awesome but you make it sound so easy, like everyone that goes to uni just jumps on a placement with a big firm. A degree does not get you a job, it gets you an interview, I think a lot of people forget that tbh.

Yeah I know people who've never had a job, and they apply to uni, get all their offers and spend 3 years at uni with no job either. then at the age of 21/22 they get their interview for a great job, but they've never in their life had an interview before, and that's where it all goes wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending