What way do you brush your teeth? Watch

Jokerjon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Do you brush your teeth before you eat breakfast? Or do you brush your teeth after you've eaten breakfast?
MidnightDream
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before I eat breakfast

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
After breakfast myself
Annie72
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
After breakfast. Bit pointless doing them before.
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Annie72)
After breakfast. Bit pointless doing them before.
I clean mine after breakfast too. But apparently it is more beneficial to do it before. 'Cause it'll kill all dem bacteria before you give them food.

AND, if your breakfast has sugar - (including fruit and fruit juice), then brushing your teeth afterwards will destroy your enamel
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I brush them before breakfast because my dentist told me brushing them after is pretty bad because of something to do with the acid or whatever. I don't remember or understand the exact reason though.
Nabihah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before breakfast
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jamerson)
I clean mine after breakfast too. But apparently it is more beneficial to do it before. 'Cause it'll kill all dem bacteria before you give them food.

AND, if your breakfast has sugar - (including fruit and fruit juice), then brushing your teeth afterwards will destroy your enamel
So basically it's whether you want enamel problems or cavities.

If you brush before, all the food is just sitting in your teeth for the whole day causing cavities. But if you brush after people talk about enamel problems.

I brush after and I haven't got any problems with my teeth nor enamel problems (my grandpa is a retired dentist).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bloxorus)

If you brush before, all the food is just sitting in your teeth for the whole day causing cavities. But if you brush after people talk about enamel problems.

I brush after and I haven't got any problems with my teeth nor enamel problems (my grandpa is a retired dentist).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think if you brush after eating sugary or acidic foods, it only takes 20 minutes after eating for your enamel to harden back up so you can brush. But of course that's not always practical when you're rushing to get ready!

But, realistically, you could brush before eating, then use mouth wash after breakfast, and use chewing gum or something to help get rid o' dat food. The possibilities are endless
SpaceMon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
After, I rinse my mouth with mouthwash before though.
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
But you don't brush your teeth after every meal. Your lunch would also be stuck in your teeth most of the day too yet we don't brush after lunch.

I don't think either way makes a difference really.

I used to brush after my breakfast but now I brush before as soon as I get up in case I don't have time to have breakfast in the house.
katehlouise
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One of the first things I do when I wake up. Always brush before eating in the morning.
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This questions is guaranteed to split a room!

The NHS advice itself is maddeningly contradictory: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhea...ningguide.aspx

You need to concentrate on the nooks and crannies to make sure you remove as much plaque and leftover bits of food as possible.
But if you brush last thing at night and then first thing in the morning, there won't be any more leftover bits of food (unless you sleep-eat a midnight feast). There might be some plaque to remove, but that will soon be replaced by your leftover breakfast. And if you brush after eating it's only another 10 minutes or whatever before it gets cleaned off anyway.

wait an hour after a meal before brushing your teeth to give your saliva chance to neutralise the acid
The only consistent solution is therefore to eat breakfast, wait and hour, then brush. Ridiculous.
cantankerouscrab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've always thought it's better to brush them after breakfast but I feel kinda gross eating without having brushed my teeth first so sometimes I do both before and after. If not, I just brush them after.
kumon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before don't want bacterois.
Sheldor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by chazwomaq)
This questions is guaranteed to split a room!

The NHS advice itself is maddeningly contradictory: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhea...ningguide.aspx

But if you brush last thing at night and then first thing in the morning, there won't be any more leftover bits of food (unless you sleep-eat a midnight feast). There might be some plaque to remove, but that will soon be replaced by your leftover breakfast. And if you brush after eating it's only another 10 minutes or whatever before it gets cleaned off anyway.

The only consistent solution is therefore to eat breakfast, wait and hour, then brush. Ridiculous.
Surely the only "fully correct" way would therefore be to brush both before AND after? (although most people don't have the luxury of time)

Posted from TSR Mobile
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brushing straight after damages your enamel though. Especially if you drink orange juice in the morning too.

Always before.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
In my experience, I find brushes to be eroding my teeth outright, the paste seems to just add a scent (depending on what it is but usually it's mint, and I hate mint), listerine mouthwash is alright but I found it burns my tongue and makes it susceptible to hot drinks or food. You might think i'm mad but I can't remember the last time I did brush my teeth, all I know is it's caused more problems than it has helped.

I've used all sorts of brushes from rigid to soft, none seem to work. I heard your saliva helps in the prevention of plaque build-up and essentially cleans your teeth for you. Although not brushing for months I see no difference, no tooth/gum pain, where in the past when I did brush my teeth, I had a root canal treatment done, several fillings and the brushing left me with holes in many places.

Overall, I don't brush because the benefits outweigh the risks, thus far have had no gum disease, and not everyone can have a completely white set of teeth.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on what I am having for breakfast and whether I am in a rush to be honest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
8.14%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (313)
36.91%
No, I am unable to (212)
25%
No, I chose not to (231)
27.24%