The Student Room Group

Labour Party to offer EU Referendum

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Labour are in a bit of a pickle. Party policy is generally warm towards EU integration, but not to the extent of the Lib Dems. Yet the core Labour voters are against our continued membership in the EU and the open borders policy. Obviously very few Labour MPs want to leave the EU or offer a referendum, but by doing so they can gain back the support of voters who have lost faith in an out of touch party. And if they don't offer a referendum, it could very well be political suicide.
Reply 21
Now confirmed by Labour they will be offering In/OUT referendum but only when power is transferred, like we haven't heard that before

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26538420

More details to come on Wednesday, lets hope the public do not fall for empty EU election promises from Labour again, Lisbon anyone
Reply 22
Original post by Ace123
Now confirmed by Labour they will be offering In/OUT referendum but only when power is transferred, like we haven't heard that before

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26538420

More details to come on Wednesday, lets hope the public do not fall for empty EU election promises from Labour again, Lisbon anyone

They've basically agreed to extend the Lib Dem statute now which calls for a referendum if we become part of the EU defense force and if we were to join the Euro. As such, there would be no referendum under Labour.
Too little too late you lying bunch of devious sh1ts.
You wouldnt know the truth if it sat next to you on a bus.
Reply 24
It's obviously a mirage to persuade the sheeple that will believe it.
I'll believe it when I see it. I trust Labour about as much as I trust the rest.
What they're actually offering is to not repeal the existing statute that says there must be a referendum to agree a new treaty. The BBC has misrepresented this offer as a promise of a referendum in the event of any transfer of powers, which is nonsense because new treaties are not the only means of transferring powers.
Didn't the conservatives promise a referendum? I wouldn't trust Labour who are even more pro-EU than the cons.I don't like the EU, does look a lot like the soviet union and we know how much suffering they inflicted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending