The Student Room Group

I have chosen the wrong AS levels, please help me! (Sociology giving me grief)

I originally took Chemistry but i was struggling so much so swapped it for Sociology.... BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE.

The majority of A level sociology students took it at GCSE too but I didn't so went into as level completely cluless, everyone has had two or more years practise than me and althought I have been taught the stuff well, I CAN't do it!!!

I fail all my mock exams, tests and I cannot link the theories together at all. I do not do my hmk because I have no idea how to!

The exam is in less than 3 months and I need to start revising for it, but I hate hate it and have no idea what to do in the subject. I don't want to fail...please help me, what do i do?!
Do you need to pass it?
What other subjects do you do?
Reply 2
Original post by thatitootoo
Do you need to pass it?
What other subjects do you do?

I do Psychology, Biology and English Lang, but if you see me other thread, I am a MAJOR perfectionist and the thought of failing literally makes me want to die.
Original post by sophieemay97
I do Psychology, Biology and English Lang, but if you see me other thread, I am a MAJOR perfectionist and the thought of failing literally makes me want to die.

Is there no way they'll allow you to drop it?
I'm guessing you've already been entered for the exams.
1. Stop thinking about if you may fail or not and stop thinking that a bad grade is the end of the world. It's unhealthy and will be detrimental to your progress. It's perfectly normal to get a bad grade or a grade you weren't expecting and is all part of the learning process.

2. Go speak to your teacher about how you're feeling and what help the school or your teacher can offer you if you're struggling with your work and think like that.

You still have time to do well in your exams and it isn't the end of the world if you don't do as well as you hope, but that's only if you go and ask for the help you need.
Reply 5
Is there no way they'll allow you to drop it?
I'm guessing you've already been entered for the exams.

I can still drop it, but isn't that like failing? It's giving up isn't it? :frown:
I can still drop it, but isn't that like failing? It's giving up isn't it? :frown:

Nope. It means that you'll have more time to spend on your other 3 subjects, so you're more likely to do well in those. And more importantly, you'll NEVER have to make a reference to a sociologist again. It sounds all good to me :tongue:
Reply 7
Nope. It means that you'll have more time to spend on your other 3 subjects, so you're more likely to do well in those. And more importantly, you'll NEVER have to make a reference to a sociologist again. It sounds all good to me :tongue:

Haha, that would be nice. I'm completely sick of these damn sociologists :tongue: I think I am going to speak to someone in my school about how I'm feeling because it doesn't feel right and sometimes I don't feel safe with my thoughts and have thought about you know...ending life if I DO fail. Thanks for answering my thread it helped to speak to someone :smile:
Reply 8
Sometimes ditching a subject at this stage will make you better off. Quite a few of my yearmates regretted not dropping a failing subject (funnily enough they were all biology :redface:), since quite a few of them got a U and essentially wasted time revising for it.

As long as you maintain a strong grade in 3 subjects, university wise the majority are very much open to you.
Haha, that would be nice. I'm completely sick of these damn sociologists :tongue: I think I am going to speak to someone in my school about how I'm feeling because it doesn't feel right and sometimes I don't feel safe with my thoughts and have thought about you know...ending life if I DO fail. Thanks for answering my thread it helped to speak to someone :smile:

Oh this is what A-levels can do to the best of us! ^^ Just hang in there and don't let Sociology strangle you! lol

I wish you all the best with whatever you decide is the best option for you. 3 A-levels is all you need to get into a BA at plenty of good universities!

Good luck :h:

Quick Reply

Latest