Combined pill vs. mini-pill

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was put on the combined pill (Rigevidon) three and a half weeks ago but for the last three days since I've come off it I've had a constant headache (I'll go to sleep with it and wake up from it - never experienced anything like it!).

I've just been to see the nurse to see what she thinks. Most unhelpful woman in the world but she gave me the mini-pill/progesterone only pill instead (Cerelle). I've been googling it and it looks like it could be worse then the combined pill - it looks awful! Periods that don't stop for weeks, irregular, heavy bleeds, terrible acne, painful periods.

I don't know if I should try and persevere with the combined pill despite the constant headache and see if my body settles down or start with the mini-pill but I'm absolutely dreading the affects of it.

Advice? This is the first time I've tried the pill - would be good to hear others experiences with both. So bored of generic NHS leaflets, it would be good to hear some real experiences with the affects and if you think it's likely they'll settle down within three months??
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Although headaches are a known side-effect for some women, it's possible the headache is not related to the Rigevidon. If it is, and it only happens when you're having the week-long break, one option would be to not have that break.

Similarly, not everyone gets the side-effects of Cerelle.

Given the unhelpfulness, I'd be looking for somewhere else to talk about this and your contraceptive options.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Was this nurse at your GP practice? If so I suggest you go to a Family Planning or Brook clinic, theyre usually more helpful. I was prescribed a different brand of the mini pill a few years ago but I ended up not taking it in the end so cant share my experience sorry. VaginaPagina on livejournal is useful to find out other women's real life experiences on contraception in my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (134)
66.34%
No (46)
22.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.89%

Watched Threads