CONFUSED.Social policy masters or a social research methods masters?

Watch
sonisonn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, I'm an undergraduate in Sociology and I wanted to do a masters after I finish my degree this year. I wanted to work in the government/policy sector and wasn't sure which masters would provide me with the best access to a higher paid job.

I was wondering whether anyone had done any social policy masters or any social research masters and if so, what kind of jobs do you have now?

Which masters would people recommend for someone that wants to work in maybe the civil service or as a policy analyst.. or something along those lines.

Which masters is likely to get me a higher paid job? A social research method masters or a social policy masters? (any one have any experience regarding this )

Thankss
sonisonn
Rep:
?
bump
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sonisonn)
bump
I've moved this to the postgrad section now

Posted from TSR Mobile
sonisonn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
I've moved this to the postgrad section now

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks
Productoflabour
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I'm an undergraduate in Sociology and I wanted to do a masters after I finish my degree this year. I wanted to work in the government/policy sector and wasn't sure which masters would provide me with the best access to a higher paid job.

I was wondering whether anyone had done any social policy masters or any social research masters and if so, what kind of jobs do you have now?

Which masters would people recommend for someone that wants to work in maybe the civil service or as a policy analyst.. or something along those lines.

Which masters is likely to get me a higher paid job? A social research method masters or a social policy masters? (any one have any experience regarding this )

Thankss
I'm not on a masters program but I'm a Social Policy UG on an intergrated masters program and I've also been considering taking the master in Social Research/Policy Research (SR/PR) rather than the intergrated(it would offer me a better balance of Qual and Quant but that's an aside) so I'm fairly well versed in the different offerings and possibilities leading from each option.

The Social Policy MSc gives a good technical offering in Research Methods as well as in depth knowledge in the policy areas that you choose as electives. The SR/PR MSc tends to give enhanced training in both Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods, with the options of taking advanced Qual and/or Quant as well as two topic electives in policy areas.

In terms of working in Government think the SR/PR gives you an edge in terms of research training, particularly if you are looking to apply to the Civil Service Fast Stream GSR scheme. Although this will by no means guarantee you a post it could give you an edge in terms of gaining work/internships/volunteer posts that you can use for compatancy framework questions as well as building your research experience to draw on during the AC exercises.

I honestly couldn't say much about the market in terms of think tank employment. I'm sure there are many internships that could be secured with an SR/PR MSc that could eventually lead to employment. There are also a few firms that do social research such as the Ipsos MORI Social Research Institute although I've heard mixed things in terms of how they treat their employees.

In many cases an SR/PR MSc can qualify you for an ESRC 1+3 (or 3 year award post qualification) award as it will meet the requirements for pre-doctoral training although it depends on your course and proposal etc. which is always something to keep in mind as although it may not be a priority now there may come a time in the future when you want to undertake PhD study.

This is all purely basd on research done online and someone with experience of MSc's may refute much of what I say but as our interest align I thought I would share what I had found.

Good luck with your choice.
curiouslycurious
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thankss
I am in the exact same position as you! I'm currently deciding between a policy course or a policy and research course. My undergrad is sociology with quants. Did you manage to figure it out?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads