The Student Room Group

Random number tables (S3) - can anyone explain this to me

Hi so whilst self-teaching S3 I've run into a problem, its these random number tables I can't seem to understand what to do with them (its probably very simple but still).

Take this question for example part c) of review q13

Using the random number tables in the formulae book, and starting with the top hand corner (8) and working across, 50 random numbers between 1 and 550 inclusive were selected. The first two suitable numbers are 384 and 100

c) find the next two suitable numbers

1) I can't see any 3 digit numbers on this random number table: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/N38210A-GCE-Mathematical-Formulae-Statistical-Tables.pdf

2) what do I do from scratch with a question like this

thanks I really need to understand this
Reply 1
You go by each 3 numbers, so the first number you look at is 861 - which would be rejected as it's not a number in between 1 - 550. The next number is 384 (which is the number they've chosen), then 100 and so on. The next numbers after 100 are 730 (reject), 390, 597 (reject), 968 (reject), 807 (reject), 372.

So the next two suitable numbers would be 390 and 372. Depending on how large the sample is supposed to i.e. in this case you're looking for 3 digit numbers, you look at where their starting point is and work horizontally (unless told otherwise). If the sample was 1 - 99, then you look at only two digit numbers. So it would be 86, 13, 84... etc.
Reply 2
Original post by CTArsenal
You go by each 3 numbers, so the first number you look at is 861 - which would be rejected as it's not a number in between 1 - 550. The next number is 384 (which is the number they've chosen), then 100 and so on. The next numbers after 100 are 730 (reject), 390, 597 (reject), 968 (reject), 807 (reject), 372.

So the next two suitable numbers would be 390 and 372. Depending on how large the sample is supposed to i.e. in this case you're looking for 3 digit numbers, you look at where their starting point is and work horizontally (unless told otherwise). If the sample was 1 - 99, then you look at only two digit numbers. So it would be 86, 13, 84... etc.

Thank you very much for this explanation it helped me understand it fully, does it generally have any twists or turns or is this literally it? this is about as far number tables go in S3?
Reply 3
Original post by Robbie242
Thank you very much for this explanation it helped me understand it fully, does it generally have any twists or turns or is this literally it? this is about as far number tables go in S3?

Yup that's literally it - if they ever ask a question in the exam on it, it'll not be worth more than 2 marks just finding the values. It's a really odd table. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest