Ganhad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well my aunt got diagnosed with schizophrenia and my uncle cant work cause she flips out when ever he leaves the house is there anything he can do for income like a full time carer for his wife or something? if wrong place to post sorry
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ganhad)
Well my aunt got diagnosed with schizophrenia and my uncle cant work cause she flips out when ever he leaves the house is there anything he can do for income like a full time carer for his wife or something? if wrong place to post sorry
Your uncle could grow a backbone and do what he needs to do.
AliJDB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is a carers allowance but it is only £59.75 a week, and you'd have to prove you are eligible. You can apply online.

I think in that situation it sounds more important that your aunt get treatment for her condition so that she becomes stable and your uncle is able to work. She may be entitled to benefits also (Disability Living Allowance).

Hope this helps.
Chihiro95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tehforum)
Your uncle could grow a backbone and do what he needs to do.
****ing hell do you even know how debilitating schizophrenia is? ****ing idiot.
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chihiro95)
****ing hell do you even know how debilitating schizophrenia is? ****ing idiot.
Ah yes. suddenly diagnosed with schizophrenia, which means the ill effects are turned on just like a light switch.

The uncle needs to work, to pay for a carer.
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah yes. suddenly diagnosed with schizophrenia, which means the ill effects are turned on just like a light switch.

You don't know if she's in the throes of the illness (which we can assume she is since she's recently been diagnosed) or if she's better. If she's really ill, it hardly makes sense to leave her on her own. Have you had an empathy bypass?
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't know if she's in the throes of the illness (which we can assume she is since she's recently been diagnosed) or if she's better. If she's really ill, it hardly makes sense to leave her on her own. Have you had an empathy bypass?
That's why I said in my previous post that the uncle could work to pay for a carer.

best of worlds: 1) Money, 2) Care for her.
Ganhad
Rep:
?

no he got suspicious when she started screaming aliens had taken her dad to the moon and that she was president.
balotelli12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ganhad)
Get aunt assessed for PIP the replacement for the now defunct for new applicants DLA and get uncle to apply for carers' allowance.

It will help but will not get day care for her.
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's why I said in my previous post that the uncle could work to pay for a carer.

best of worlds: 1) Money, 2) Care for her.
I have no issue with your pragmatism but you've failed to recognise that this is a tentative situation. What if he's the only one that can calm her down? Who will make sure she takes her medication in the mean time? Who will make sure she doesn't hurt herself or someone else? Getting a carer will take some time and these problems won't be solved by 'growing a backbone'.
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have no issue with your pragmaticism but you've failed to recognise that this is a tentative situation. What if he's the only one that can calm her down? Who will make sure she takes her medication in the mean time? Who will make sure she doesn't hurt herself or someone else? Getting a carer will take some time and these problems won't be solved by 'growing a backbone'.
1) Then that would be problematic, and may have to be overcome. This may be hard in the short-term, but in the long-term, it may be in the best interests of both parties
2) Meanwhile, it would be the uncle. He still has to job hunt
3) Same deal
4) Are carers in such low supply?
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1) Then that would be problematic, and may have to be overcome. This may be hard in the short-term, but in the long-term, it may be in the best interests of both parties
2) Meanwhile, it would be the uncle. He still has to job hunt
3) Same deal
4) Are carers in such low supply?

Ahh for ****'s sake. You really are boneheaded, aren't you? Why the assumption that he's unemployed? He may have taken a short leave of absence. It would take a while to find a carer to begin with and if her awareness has completely gone she can't be left alone for a second. OP, if your uncle can't cope, it may be better for a family member to watch her until the carer's sorted.
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh for ****'s sake. You really are boneheaded, aren't you? Why the assumption that he's unemployed? He may have taken a short leave of absence. It would take a while to find a carer to begin with and if her awareness has completely gone she can't be left alone for a second. OP, if your uncle can't cope, it may be better for a family member to watch her until the carer's sorted.
You make a lot of assumptions without actually directing my points in relation to the OP.
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You make a lot of assumptions without actually directing my points in relation to the OP.
As I said, I have no issues with your points. Your being incredibly insensitive about something quite serious is the problem.
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As I said, I have no issues with your points. Your being incredibly insensitive about something quite serious is the problem.
In emotionally fraught cases like these, a lens of pragmatism and reason is needed to prevent cloudy judgements being manifested.
Ganhad
Rep:
?
In emotionally fraught cases like these, a lens of pragmatism and reason is needed to prevent cloudy judgements being manifested.
his poor and unskilled and is a taxi driver thanks for the assistance guys.
The_Jakal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In this thread some people seem to see money as more important than human relationships...

This world is upside down.
Mus9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Looool this convo ^^ is pure banter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%
No- I want it (120)
26.73%
No- I don't want it (33)
7.35%

Watched Threads