A-level English Watch

sih97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello TSR users.
I'm trying to decide what A-levels I should do next year. I've decided I'm going to do 2 facilitating subjects along with two subjects I'm personally interested. So these two facilitating subjects are either History AND Geography or History AND English Lang or English Lang/Lit.
The problem I'm facing is, I want to do the more rigorous A-level of either English Lang.
So I'm wondering what A-level would be more rigorous? English lit or English lit/Lang combined? I've been told English language by it self is quite useless and uni's don't really see it in a good light. Thanks in advance.
itsConnor_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say English lit. would be more 'rigorous' than lang/lit. - more respected, too.
sih97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I thought English lit/lang would be more rigorous as it's two subjects combined in one? And wouldn't it be more respected if it's two subjects combined?
Sorry for sounding ignorant, I don't know a lot about a-levels.
Meganekko
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English Lang on its own is not "blacklisted" by any university that I know of. English Lit is definitely more "respected", though. I'm not sure what combined Lang/Lit is like, but in my experience Lang is basically Linguistics and based on what I've heard from others, Lit consists of a lot of poetry (and books, obviously).
miaellenx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Quite frankly, it depends what part of English you enjoy the most. I know from my friends that English Literature is mostly analyzing classical literature and poems, for example Wuthering Heights. I chose English Language and Literature and I find it a little more "modern". I don't know what exam board you'd be on, or if more than one offer the course, but I'm studying In Cold Blood and The True History of the Kelly Gang - true crime novels, which I personally find more interesting. We study poems, too, but we also look into non-fiction texts such as newspaper articles and there's a lot more terms in Lang/Lit due to the linguistic side to it. I feel as if Lang/Lit offers more for the creative side of English too; I know that I have a bigger word count than the Lit students. (Always a bonus if you want to unleash the author side of you! xD)

But...it really is up to you.
edgarcats
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Literature is difficult. I actually find it much harder than History. Geography and History are both good subjects and well-respected, so taking Lit/Lang shouldn't do much damage unless you intend to study English at university.
miaellenx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't even let universities affect your decision. I understand that my nearest university accepts English Lit/Lang if you want to study any English course. I haven't looked at any others, but if that one does, I'm sure a few more will.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I do both English A-levels because I am a true English student. English Lit, is more well respected and classed as a traditional subject compared to Lang or Lang/Lit. Studying one English A-level gives you more depth in the subject, but studying the combined course gives you more breadth between the two.

English Lit is waaaay more vigorous than Lang. But it really depends on your preference. I never did either Lang or Lit at GCSE. I just did the single award. But, I prefer Lit of Lang, even though I go a better mark at AS. Lit is harder because of the style and structure of exam essays. Lang is more of a formulaic way of writing for the exams.

However, because my A-level Lit didn't have any set texts other than The Oxford Book of War Poetry, it's hard write your essay on two unseen extracts and your wider reading because you have to remember a lot based on your own reading and not just 1-3 of the same stuff for different novels.

I would say, go with what you prefer studying at GCSE.

Language isn't Linguistics as such - there's Linguistic elements but it's Language - the study of the English Language not what makes up a language (Which is what Linguistics is).

Lit - is just reading, reading, and more reading! You are forever reading and ripping novels, plays and poetry apart until even the best student gets sick of it. You don't READ Lit at A-level, you STUDY literature at A-level. There's a HUGE difference!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed