The Student Room Group

Appearing 'needy'

Hi all,

Ok, been on 2 x dates with someone . .quite like the guy. Contact however has been somewhat hit and miss between us both. He has been busy with work, and I am kinda busy with work and college. This rubbish of HE should contact first, I kinda ignored and just used my initiative and sent him a friendly text, with hope you're ok and etc. Correspondence has been 1 x text a day, or every few days. He has however gone away for a few days; last text I got from him was Tuesday however I haven't responded as he's abroad, so he wouldn't get it until he gets back. However I am sat here debating whether or not to respond to his message . .I mean if I respond, and he turns his phone on when he gets back he may perceive me as being 'needy'? Or will he simply see it as me responding back to his message on Tuesday? Or he could think I was being rude? I don't know what to do really for the best - thoughts?

I do like this guy so I don't want to scare him off, but just see where things go really . . :dontknow:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He may love the interest he's getting off you. I wish the girl I was dating texted me more, it's like drawing blood out a stone sometimes trying to get a response!
Original post by james1211
He may love the interest he's getting off you. I wish the girl I was dating texted me more, it's like drawing blood out a stone sometimes trying to get a response!

I've heard/read so much lately about dating . . . if you leave it, s/he may think you're not interested . . if you 'hound' too much, you may appear needy! :/ :dontknow: . . I honestly don't know what best to do . . . He does apologise when he takes a while to reply, which I honestly don't mind as I know he's busy and etc. We've all got lives to lead which is fair enough. I do feel bad for not responding though . . but I don't want to appear needy :cool::cool:
Reply 3
Yeah just reply ,just put something like talk to you when you get back at the end , so you don't sound like you need constant attention but it shows that you're still interested :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DancinBallerina
I've heard/read so much lately about dating . . . if you leave it, s/he may think you're not interested . . if you 'hound' too much, you may appear needy! :/ :dontknow: . . I honestly don't know what best to do . . . He does apologise when he takes a while to reply, which I honestly don't mind as I know he's busy and etc. We've all got lives to lead which is fair enough. I do feel bad for not responding though . . but I don't want to appear needy :cool::cool:

Well to be honest I would be flattered if a girl kept texting me like that, it shows they're interested. Some guys will be put off by it though. The same with women.

I'd say just do what you feel is right but I will admit I left it a day and a half before asking for a second date because I didn't want to seem too keen (though I now think that was a stupid idea!).
Original post by JackBlack
Yeah just reply ,just put something like talk to you when you get back at the end , so you don't sound like you need constant attention but it shows that you're still interested :smile:

Ok thanks, will write something along those lines. I had written a message but think it's too wordy, lengthy and 'needy'? ie hope you have a good few days, talking about ruby scores last weekend and then I said ''thought I'd reply now as didn't wan to distract/be a nuisance whilst away''.

Original post by james1211
Well to be honest I would be flattered if a girl kept texting me like that, it shows they're interested. Some guys will be put off by it though. The same with women.

I'd say just do what you feel is right but I will admit I left it a day and a half before asking for a second date because I didn't want to seem too keen (though I now think that was a stupid idea!).

That's what I mean it can either be a good thing or go against you! :/ . . :cool:

This guy asked for a 2nd date when I got home from the 1st date . . well he didn't even ask he just said ''Look forward to taking you out for a 2nd date'' . .lol Confident guy, who was confident in my response!
Reply 6
I wouldn't say replying to his text would come across as needy. Now if you sent him text after text after text with no reply that's where things change.
Reply 7
Ok thanks, will write something along those lines. I had written a message but think it's too wordy, lengthy and 'needy'? ie hope you have a good few days, talking about ruby scores last weekend and then I said ''thought I'd reply now as didn't wan to distract/be a nuisance whilst away''.

That sounds fine to me :smile:

Okey dokey, will send it and see what happens :smile:
[QUOTE="JackBlack;46555980"]

I sent my message and he responded saying it was very thoughtful of me to delay the message. Although he wouldn't have minded if I responded earlier. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
[QUOTE="DancinBallerina;46581912"]

I sent my message and he responded saying it was very thoughtful of me to delay the message. Although he wouldn't have minded if I responded earlier. :smile:

Ah so it would've worked out well either way :smile: He seems like a nice guy
Reply 11
The only way you'll appear needy is if he doesn't get back to you for a day and then gets 10 texts the last of which going something along the lines of 'WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME TALK TO ME PLS AAARGH???!!!'

See above. You understand the most important principle behind the worries of being too 'needy', which is their life does not and should not revolvee around you, nor your life around theirs. Trust your instincts on this one :smile:

Ah so it would've worked out well either way :smile: He seems like a nice guy

He's a nice guy, I'm just struggling to read him! Lol He initiated the first two dates so I'm wondering if I should make a suggestion "Fancy doing something this week?".....I don't know if he's testing me or what....I've no idea! lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Riku
The only way you'll appear needy is if he doesn't get back to you for a day and then gets 10 texts the last of which going something along the lines of 'WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME TALK TO ME PLS AAARGH???!!!'

See above. You understand the most important principle behind the worries of being too 'needy', which is their life does not and should not revolvee around you, nor your life around theirs. Trust your instincts on this one :smile:

Yes, that kinda behavior is cringy beyond cringe. Also it's not very adult like behaviour either. It screams desperation!! Lol :/ That's not me at all.

Exactly. I'd hate for a person to revolve their life around me, & vice versa. I see some of my friends do it & I think why??? It's quite sad I think. Think I get this attitude from my mum; she's been married to my dad 27years; she does her thing, he does he's own, & they're both cool with it. :-)
He's a nice guy, I'm just struggling to read him! Lol He initiated the first two dates so I'm wondering if I should make a suggestion "Fancy doing something this week?".....I don't know if he's testing me or what....I've no idea! lol

Haha don't read too much into it ;D If you wanna hang out with him ask him, i'm sure he will say yes considering he initiated the first two and is still replying to your messages :smile: Probably not a test but he might need re-assurance that you're still into him
Reply 15
I would keep doing whatever feels natural, so if you want to text him then text him!

I don't think its needy to get a few texts from someone :dontknow:
Haha don't read too much into it ;D If you wanna hang out with him ask him, i'm sure he will say yes considering he initiated the first two and is still replying to your messages :smile: Probably not a test but he might need re-assurance that you're still into him

Will wait for him to reply to my message and then I'll ask him . .I've got nothing to lose really, so might as well go for it I guess :dontknow: :smile: I like your advice . . you seem to be hitting the nail on the head :smile:

Original post by Robbie242
I would keep doing whatever feels natural, so if you want to text him then text him!

I don't think its needy to get a few texts from someone :dontknow:

When he responds, I respond back albeit giving it a few hours/a day, like he does to me! :smile:

No, not needy to get a few texts, but I didn't want to appear as if I am coming across as needy, constant texting! :dontknow:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Will wait for him to reply to my message and then I'll ask him . .I've got nothing to lose really, so might as well go for it I guess :dontknow: :smile: I like your advice . . you seem to be hitting the nail on the head :smile:

Good idea :smile: Exactly! and thank you so much, that's what i'm here for :smile:

Good idea :smile: Exactly! and thank you so much, that's what i'm here for :smile:

He beat me to it; date no.3 planned!....:-)
He beat me to it; date no.3 planned!....:-)

Yay!! Thats great :biggrin: I'd love to know how it goes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending