The Student Room Group

Why I think casual sex aint no good

So I don't think casual sex is something that someone should practice. Why you say? Well...

When you don't sleep around but only have a handful of partners, you're like a Stately home:

Traditional, sophisticated, timeless; a true classic. It's something everyone can appreciate from the outside, but not everyone is going to be lucky enough to pop in for a quick visit. The upkeep may be higher than normal, but for what you are getting, it seems to be worth it.

On the flip side of it, people who sleep around are more like this:

The brilliant tower block. Common, cheap, many, many occupants over the course of a few years and if you sleep in one, there's a good chance you'll catch something. Plus who knows what state they'll be in a few years from now...

Thoughts?
And to the peep saying "It's none of your business", it's about choosing which you'd want to stay in rather than anything else.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bravo! Bravo!
I disagree. Casual sex doesn't mean you have to be a slut about it, not that there's anything wrong with sluts. I'd rather go with how I want to than abstain simply because of what others may think.
Good analogy! Looks like you spent some valuable time and effort :biggrin:
Reply 4
Well, I'm glad you said "people" rather than just "girls" like most do on these sorts of threads. But anyway, it's none of your business what people do with their genitals.
Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I disagree. Casual sex doesn't mean you have to be a slut about it, not that there's anything wrong with sluts. I'd rather go with how I want to than abstain simply because of what others may think.

It's about self respect - not what others think. Casual sex is a giant contradiction. Sex is something intimate (anyone who wants to argue this can then attempt to explain why rape is such a heinous crime) and so being intimate casually makes little to no sense.

Original post by Philbert
Well, I'm glad you said "people" rather than just "girls" like most do on these sorts of threads. But anyway, it's none of your business what people do with their genitals.

Why isn't it? I'll use it to judge someone's character whether they like it or not, just like the rest of society. And as I said above, it's about self respect rather than "what does Mr and Mrs X think of me?!"
(edited 10 years ago)
Ridiculous thread.
Original post by geoking
It's about self respect - not what others think. Casual sex is a giant contradiction. Sex is something intimate (anyone who wants to argue this can then attempt to explain why rape is such a heinous crime) and so being intimate casually makes little to no sense.

Again I disagree. You can have casual sex whilst being intimate with someone, friends with benefits is an example. It's only the social stigma that's attached to sex which has caused the whole attitude that having too much sex is shameful.
Reply 8
It's none of your business really.

There were references to being 'in' the person though, so women and gay men really.
Yes but that stately home has a lot of bush.
Reply 11
Too many slags and sluts these days anyway, that fantasize about sex to the point they don't do any academic work and cause nuisance on the streets and don't know who their father of their child is.
Reply 12
Original post by minimarshmallow
There were references to being 'in' the person though, so women and gay men really.

Well yes, but I just took that as being part of the metaphor. I know he was probably getting at girls more than guys.
Reply 13
But stately homes are often open to the public, so lots of visitors everyday at the same time, almost orgy-like. The stately home picture you posted is Castle Howard, one of the largest visitor attractions in Yorkshire. That building is a massive slut.
Reply 14
I disagree, stateley homes have a lot more visitors each year than tower blocks on the whole. They are open to the public rather than private property in most cases.

That is castle Howard, it attracts thousands of visitors per year. No tower block has that many people in and out of it.
Reply 15
Original post by geoking

Why isn't it? I'll use it to judge someone's character whether they like it or not, just like the rest of society. And as I said above, it's about self respect rather than "what does Mr and Mrs X think of me?!"

But why can't someone have high self respect and casual sex? Not everyone values sex/intimacy in the same way.
Reply 16
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Again I disagree. You can have casual sex whilst being intimate with someone, friends with benefits is an example. It's only the social stigma that's attached to sex which has caused the whole attitude that having too much sex with different people is shameful.

You missed out a key part. And it is in my view because if you have standards, then you shouldn't be wanting to sleep with anyone and everyone but only a select few. You'd have to have low standards to be able to sleep around.

But why can't someone have high self respect and casual sex? Not everyone values sex/intimacy in the same way.

See above.
Original post by kumon
Too many slags and sluts these days anyway, that fantasize about sex to the point they don't do any academic work and cause nuisance on the streets and don't know who their father of their child is.

These people are problematic. The first is hurting themselves, the second is hurting others and the third (only one that's definitely a woman) is potentially hurting her child.

But seeing as none of these things are synonymous with casual sex, I don't see what the problem is.
Reply 18
Original post by Add!ction
Yes but that stately home has a lot of bush.

It's trimmed neatly though :dontknow:
Reply 19
The council blocks is a lot of western girls, in a nut shell.

Quick Reply

Latest