ihavealifereally
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to take Maths (AQA) , Physics (Edexcel) and Chemistry (Edexcel) at A-level as I am interested in a science course at uni. For my 4th choice I'm stuck between Geography, Business Studies and Biology. My school does AQA geog and bus. studies and SNAB biology, any ideas on what I should take? Is business boring? Should I consider Further Maths? Thanks a lot
didreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With the three subjects you already have, you're pretty set for a science degree! My first instinct would be to take Biology so you have the four main science subjects in case you want to do Biochem or something. Of course, if you want something different for more variation, go for either Business or Geog. I don't take any of these subjects so I have no personal experience, but Business I've heard can get quite Maths-y at A-level if you like that. And Geography is an essay subject so it could be a nice change from your others unless you hate essays in which case, don't take Geography.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to do a physical science at a good university then further maths will be very helpful (and in some cases a de facto requirement).
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on what you are interested in:
Physical Sciences: Go for Further Maths
Business/ finance related: Go for business (or Further Maths)
Biological Sciences: Go for Biology
Don't know: Go for Biology (keeps more options open IMO, although so would Further Maths I guess...)
Want more variety of subjects/ potentially considering Environmental Science/ Geography/ Surveying degrees: Geography
ihavealifereally
Rep:
?
(Original post by didreams)
With the three subjects you already have, you're pretty set for a science degree! My first instinct would be to take Biology so you have the four main science subjects in case you want to do Biochem or something. Of course, if you want something different for more variation, go for either Business or Geog. I don't take any of these subjects so I have no personal experience, but Business I've heard can get quite Maths-y at A-level if you like that. And Geography is an essay subject so it could be a nice change from your others unless you hate essays in which case, don't take Geography.
Thanks a lot
ihavealifereally
Rep:
?
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
It depends on what you are interested in:
Physical Sciences: Go for Further Maths
Business/ finance related: Go for business (or Further Maths)
Biological Sciences: Go for Biology
Don't know: Go for Biology (keeps more options open IMO, although so would Further Maths I guess...)
Want more variety of subjects/ potentially considering Environmental Science/ Geography/ Surveying degrees: Geography
Ah okay, thanks for the help
ihavealifereally
Rep:
?
(Original post by alow)
If you want to do a physical science at a good university then further maths will be very helpful (and in some cases a de facto requirement).
If I get an A at Maths GCSE would I find it okay or is it just meant for those who could easily get an A* at GCSE?
Thanks
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ihavealifereally)
If I get an A at Maths GCSE would I find it okay or is it just meant for those who could easily get an A* at GCSE?
Thanks
You should be okay with AS FM. A2 is where it actually starts to get difficult (depending on the modules you take).
MovesLikeAgger
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology. Biology is meant to be the easiest out of them and you can always drop it after AS. Geography is good to as it's classed as a science. I know someone who's doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Geography. I definitely wouldn't recommend Business as it is a big boring. Further Maths is also a good option, only if you're comfortable with maths. You can easily get sick of maths at A Level.
I would strongly recommend Biology as most sixth forms insists on taking Biology and Chemistry together because they support each other.
username1258931
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ihavealifereally)
I want to take Maths (AQA) , Physics (Edexcel) and Chemistry (Edexcel) at A-level as I am interested in a science course at uni. For my 4th choice I'm stuck between Geography, Business Studies and Biology. My school does AQA geog and bus. studies and SNAB biology, any ideas on what I should take? Is business boring? Should I consider Further Maths? Thanks a lot
If you want to do physics then further maths might be a better option, but if you want to do chemistry then either further maths or biology are good. I do biology, chemistry physics and maths and really enjoy them. Biology is a lot more interesting than at GCSE so don't worry about that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.78%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.85%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.47%

Watched Threads