The Student Room Group

HELP!! foundation algebra anyone please?

I really struggle with maths. I am very good at other things but not maths. I need to master algebra. Please can some one take me through step by step, how to solve equations such as 3x+5=5x+7
Reply 1
so you have 3x+5=5x+7
start by subtracting 3x from both sides so you have 5=2x+7
then subtract 7 from both sides -2=2x
divide both sides by 2 so x=-1

hope this helps x
Original post by lillith
I really struggle with maths. I am very good at other things but not maths. I need to master algebra. Please can some one take me through step by step, how to solve equations such as 3x+5=5x+7

3x+5=5x+7

So first you want to collect all the like terms so all the x's together and all the 'plain' numbers together. Let's put the x's on the left side of the = ans the plain nos on the right side.
So take 5x away from both sides:
3x+5-5x=5x+7-5x
So you get:
-2x+5=7
Now take away 5 from both sides so that there won't be a 5 on the left:
-2x+5-5=7-5
This leaves you with:
-2x=2
Since both sides are divisible by two, divide both sides by two to simplify it:
-2x/2=2/2
So you get:
-x=1
You want to find x not -x so divide both sides by -1 which just means that you put the '-' to the otherwise so you get:
x=-1

I hope I helped and it wasn't too complicated :smile: if any stages need clarifying just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you guys, I appreciate your help and your quick responses. I may just pass this time! My uni offers depend on me getting a C. I have a D at the mo.
Reply 4
3x+5=5x+7

Basically, the end result you want is that x=something. This, in the case of more complicated questions, would help you to solve other things. However, forget about all of that and let's just do basics!

You want to collect like terms. Like terms are things that are the same basically, so 3x and 5x and like times, 5 and 7 are like terms, if you had 265a and 9467a they would still be like terms.

The thing about the equals sign is that if you have something on the left side of it, when moving it to the right side it's sign changes (so from - to + and vice versa). I'm not quite sure why, but yeah :') So know we know all of this, let's see if we can solve it! :smile:

3x+5=5x+7

We first bring the 3x to the right side of the = sign. This mean the positive 3x is now a negative 3x.

5=5x-3x+7

We now want to bring the +7 to the left hand side. This will now be -7.

5-7=5x-3x

Finally, we tidy things up! :') 5-7=-2. 5x-3x=2x.

-2=2x.

Now, we want to find that x=something. So what do we do to get x from 2x? We divide 2x by 2. So what we do to one side, we do to the other side.

-2/2=2x/2

-1=x

x=-1

Hope this helped :smile: good luck xxx
Reply 5
3x+5=5x+7 This is your question.

1st take same family x to one side and only numbers to one side.
5-7=5x-3x
-2 = 2x

Divide both sides by 2

-2 = 2x
--- ---
2 2

2 gets cancelled in both sides.
Finally you are left with your answer -1.

Ask me for more help if needed.
Jokes aside you won't get a C if you are struggling with that. You need to do some serious revision on manipulating equations, quadratics, graphs and so on. I take it you are doing Foundation level? You need to be getting a high mark on that to get a C
Original post by lillith

Post on the Maths forum, you'll get better help from both students and teachers.
Reply 8
Original post by ThatPerson
Post on the Maths forum, you'll get better help from both students and teachers.

I did and they did, thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by sophieshoesmith
Jokes aside you won't get a C if you are struggling with that. You need to do some serious revision on manipulating equations, quadratics, graphs and so on. I take it you are doing Foundation level? You need to be getting a high mark on that to get a C

I didn't say I was struggling with it I was asking for a simple method to solve it. I was given that and I understood it. I did a test in class today which involved harder algebra than is on the foundation paper and passed it without any problems. The amount of algebra on the foundation paper worth about 20 marks altogether and I am very confident with all the other topics we have done. Therefore no, I will not struggle to get a C. Thanks for your concern.[
Original post by lillith
I didn't say I was struggling with it ...

You did actually

Original post by lillith
I really struggle with maths.

I was actually trying to help and make you aware you will need to be able to rearrange more complex equations to ensure a C from Foundation. Questions like solve 5/(3-x) - 2/x = 0 can come up on Foundation.

Quick Reply

Latest