Largeelephant12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm thinking of doing chemistry, biology and English lit at a level next year. What would the workload be like if I took just the three? Would I have much free time left over? Also I need ABB in these a levels if that helps
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Largeelephant12)
I'm thinking of doing chemistry, biology and English lit at a level next year. What would the workload be like if I took just the three? Would I have much free time left over? Also I need ABB in these a levels if that helps
With only 3 you'd have loads of time left over anyway. Looks like you've got a good balance too, English will likely have a lot of essays so quite a high workload however sciences usually have a smaller workload because usually the only extra work you can be given is questions/sheets/exams and sometimes research. The main time consumer in sciences like chemistry and biology is revision if you don't understand something.
Largeelephant12
Rep:
?
(Original post by k4l397)
With only 3 you'd have loads of time left over anyway. Looks like you've got a good balance too, English will likely have a lot of essays so quite a high workload however sciences usually have a smaller workload because usually the only extra work you can be given is questions/sheets/exams and sometimes research. The main time consumer in sciences like chemistry and biology is revision if you don't understand something.
Okay, yeah also English lit will require a lot of reading. Although I have heard that quite a lot of revision is necessary as chemistry and biology contain a lot of content although I'm unsure whether this is the case or not.
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay, yeah also English lit will require a lot of reading. Although I have heard that quite a lot of revision is necessary as chemistry and biology contain a lot of content although I'm unsure whether this is the case or not.
I can confirm that for Chemistry :P Also people that do biology at my sixth form say there is a lot. Chemistry is fairly easy though once you get the hang of it because it's fairly logical, but a lot of the definitions are fairly picky which is why it can be a lot to learn.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
English Lit depends on the exam board. For example WJEC exam board, you study 5 set texts. For AQA A, you have 2-4 set sets. But for the exam, you have to do something called Wider Reading which is reading dramas, poems and novels in your own time on a set thematic link - either; Victorian, WW1 or The Struggle for Modern Identity. It really depends. If I didn't apply for English at uni, I would tell you to take another subject - hate AQA A - SO MUCH READING! I haven't picked up one single book for pleasure in the past 2 years because of it
Largeelephant12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cool_JordH)
English Lit depends on the exam board. For example WJEC exam board, you study 5 set texts. For AQA A, you have 2-4 set sets. But for the exam, you have to do something called Wider Reading which is reading dramas, poems and novels in your own time on a set thematic link - either; Victorian, WW1 or The Struggle for Modern Identity. It really depends. If I didn't apply for English at uni, I would tell you to take another subject - hate AQA A - SO MUCH READING! I haven't picked up one single book for pleasure in the past 2 years because of it
At my college it'd be wjec. Is this good or bad?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At my college it'd be wjec. Is this good or bad?
Personally, it's neither. I've looked at the WJEC. It's bad in terms of it doesn't give students the opportunity to explore drama and poetry at coursework (entire prose study) and it doesn't give students the ample opportunity to study prose in exam style (drama and poetry exam). So it's not very good that way.

AQA in terms of marks are really hard. You have to WORK for them. WJEC, it doesn't seem there's a huge difference. And the AS units compared to the A2 units in WJEC are quite spread out. A2 sounds so much harder and looks harder (I've seen examplar coursework and exam work from both years).
So if your teachers don't prepare you for the gap, you're going to find it very challenging. WJEC depends on the author your school depends to pick for coursework.

I would prefer to study WJEC because it's easier in terms on reading only set texts. For AQA A though, it feels more literature as you HAVE to study and read loads of texts outside school for the Wider Reading of the exam.

WJEC for exam and coursework seem to ask students to write only about certain AOs, which is bad, cause then your answers are way too structured and repetitive when it comes to practising. Whereas AQA A tests you on all AOs, so it's very formal and allows you to demonstrate knowledge from all the AOs.

If I were a student, I would prefer to study from AQA. If I were a teacher however, I would prefer to teach WJEC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (563)
34.12%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (680)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.12%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.55%

Watched Threads