My dream career? Can it happen?

Watch
Bateyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am 21 in a months time and I have been looking to maybe join a university in the future and will go through any access courses or anything needed to do this.

My dream job is to become a professional graphics designer but my problem is I did not do Art at high school and I'm sure that's necessary to get into an Art and Design University.

I was thinking of going to do an Access to computing course this Sept but I don't think that'd be enough to get accepted into a graphics and design course.

I also only have standard grades(3,3,4,4,) as my grades.

Just looking for help.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your best bet is to contact maybe half a dozen unis which run the courses you like the look of, and ask them. For art-based courses, an amazing portfolio might be key - academic qualifications in that specific subject may not be an issue. You will probably be asked to do an Access course or A Levels before you begin anyway, if only to get you ready for uni-level study. However it will depend on the individual uni/course as to which "flavour" of Access course they might prefer.

As a mature student, your school results won't necessarily be a bar to uni study. Each application is judged on its own merits.
Bateyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
Your best bet is to contact maybe half a dozen unis which run the courses you like the look of, and ask them. For art-based courses, an amazing portfolio might be key - academic qualifications in that specific subject may not be an issue. You will probably be asked to do an Access course or A Levels before you begin anyway, if only to get you ready for uni-level study. However it will depend on the individual uni/course as to which "flavour" of Access course they might prefer.

As a mature student, your school results won't necessarily be a bar to uni study. Each application is judged on its own merits.
Thank you for the reply but I not know what to ask my local universitys about this Etc. I do believe you need a portfolio for these courses so I had a look at my local colleges for Graphic Design but you need 4 credit level standard grades or a pass in a relevant course at SCQF level 5.

I need your thoughts on this:

If I did this course for a year: http://www1.ayrshire.ac.uk/courses/3...puting-level-5

Then I done this course for another year: http://www1.ayrshire.ac.uk/courses/3...graphic-design

That should be enough experience to study at University yes? or Is their another way around this?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only way you'll know is to ask the uni - potentially each one will have different criteria for assessing mature applicants. There's no "one size fits all" so there's no way we can know in the kind of detail you need. Even applicants for the same course might be given different entry prerequisites. I was a mature entrant on my course (not related to graphic design) and was accepted without an Access course. The other mature student on the same course was required to to an Access course. So we really can't predict it.

Basically, you just have to email the uni's Admissions Office explaining which course you're interested in, telling them the courses you've already passed elsewhere and asking whether you can apply with those or whether they would want you to do more study. If they ask for a portfolio, ask them what type of thing they'd like to see included.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.72%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (267)
30%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.31%

Watched Threads