Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I get an offer at Manchester for the Science Foundation Year.

I would like to know the detailed syllabus of this year (the courses, the chapters, the required textbooks, and related information). It would be really great if someone can provide me the syllabus of the foundation year. After this year, I plan on taking the bachelor of science in chemistry.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    This is the Chemistry syllabus for Foundation Year:

Maths OB2/OC2 - Functions, Differentiation, Integration, Series
    Maths ON1 - Logic, Sets, Polynomials
    Physics: Matter - Dimensional Analysis, Energy, Thermodynamics, Ideal Gases, Deformation of Solids
    Chemistry 1 - Atomic Structure, Bonding and Molecular Shape, The Periodic Table, Isotopes and Radioactivity, Solid State Chemistry, Quantity Calculus, Electromagnetic Spectrum, Gas Laws and Kinetic Theory of Gases, Phase Diagrams
    Chemistry 2 - Kinetics, Thermodynamics, Hybridsation, Hydrocarbons, Basic Organic Nomenclature, Isomerism, Aromaticity, Inductive Effect and Resonance, Basic Functional Groups
    Chemistry 3 - Advanced Organic Nomenclature, Electrophilic Substitution, Electrochemistry, Polymers
    Maths OB2/OC2 - Complex Numbers, Geometry, Matrices, Further Integration, Further Differentiation
    Maths OF2 - Vectors, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions
    Physics: Waves - Simple Harmonic Oscillation, Travelling Waves, Standing Waves and Harmonics, Electromagnetic Radiation, Spectra, Wave-Particle Duality, Radioactivity, Nuclear Reactions, E=mc2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
    This is the Chemistry syllabus for Foundation Year:

Maths OB2/OC2 - Functions, Differentiation, Integration, Series
    Maths ON1 - Logic, Sets, Polynomials
    Physics: Matter - Dimensional Analysis, Energy, Thermodynamics, Ideal Gases, Deformation of Solids
    Chemistry 1 - Atomic Structure, Bonding and Molecular Shape, The Periodic Table, Isotopes and Radioactivity, Solid State Chemistry, Quantity Calculus, Electromagnetic Spectrum, Gas Laws and Kinetic Theory of Gases, Phase Diagrams
    Chemistry 2 - Kinetics, Thermodynamics, Hybridsation, Hydrocarbons, Basic Organic Nomenclature, Isomerism, Aromaticity, Inductive Effect and Resonance, Basic Functional Groups
    Chemistry 3 - Advanced Organic Nomenclature, Electrophilic Substitution, Electrochemistry, Polymers
    Maths OB2/OC2 - Complex Numbers, Geometry, Matrices, Further Integration, Further Differentiation
    Maths OF2 - Vectors, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions
    Physics: Waves - Simple Harmonic Oscillation, Travelling Waves, Standing Waves and Harmonics, Electromagnetic Radiation, Spectra, Wave-Particle Duality, Radioactivity, Nuclear Reactions, E=mc2
    Thank you very much. This is really helpful. Actually, I give them a call today, and I have been told that I am going to do math diagnosis test, and there is also physical chemistry in the syllabus ! So can you give a source of your information ?

Again thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david.davis)
    Thank you very much. This is really helpful. Actually, I give them a call today, and I have been told that I am going to do math diagnosis test, and there is also physical chemistry in the syllabus ! So can you give a source of your information ?

Again thank you.
    The maths diagnosis test just decides whether you do OB1 and OB2 or OC1 and OC2. The latter go at a slower pace for people who haven't done maths for a while.

The information I posted is from the Foundation Studies website (you need a username and password to access it). I don't know anything about Chemistry unfortunately as I don't do any of those modules so that's all the info I can offer.

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 3, 2014

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.