Can I apply to Oxbridge with these grades?

Watch
BaudelaireLucky
  • Study Helper
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
At AS, I'm achieving AAB, by end of this year I should be getting AAA
At A2 I'm hoping for AAA/A*AA

At GCSE I achieved 3A*, 6A and 2B

Can I realistically apply to Oxbridge with these results?
Or would I need higher GCSE/A Level grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ddtown
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you can't even research their entry requirements how are you going to cope at Uni?
BaudelaireLucky
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by ddtown)
If you can't even research their entry requirements how are you going to cope at Uni?
I researched the entry requirements, what I meant was do they require higher GCSE scores or whatever to get in, as I didn't do exceptionally well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alistair Mac Tir
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely not
jack_twice
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BaudelaireLucky)
I researched the entry requirements, what I meant was do they require higher GCSE scores or whatever to get in, as I didn't do exceptionally well

Posted from TSR Mobile
What subject are you applying for? That matters.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
You very blatantly haven't researched their entry requirements because both explicitly say that they have no GCSE entry requirements (apart from Medicine) and Cambridge specifically says that excellent AS results are vastly more important than your GCSE results.
BaudelaireLucky
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
You very blatantly haven't researched their entry requirements because both explicitly say that they have no GCSE entry requirements (apart from Medicine) and Cambridge specifically says that excellent AS results are vastly more important than your GCSE results.
I have read that, but I know that lots of people who apply with great AS grades but not-so-good GCSE grades don't get in

Posted from TSR Mobile
LeonieEmily
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your grades seem good enough but Oxbridge is so much more than just grades hence why it's so hard to get into even with 4 A* grades. You need to look at the extra curricular side of things, admissions tests etc too
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do you only have 3 AS levels? That could be a problem.

Aside from that, start preparing for the ELAT Your GCSEs shouldn't hold you back too much :nah:
ennahaspatience
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some representative came from Cambridge to our school. They said that they have no entry requirements but realistically the average student in Cambridge has 7A* at GCSE, they may filter out applicants
ennahaspatience
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But in Oxford they really scrutinise the GCSE grades, so if you are applying Cambridge would be a better choice, but you will need high UMS marks in modules in AS
BaudelaireLucky
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Why do you only have 3 AS levels? That could be a problem.

Aside from that, start preparing for the ELAT Your GCSEs shouldn't hold you back too much :nah:
I have 4 AS levels, I just mentioned the ones I intend on taking next year (both Englishes and history) but I also do Spanish
Mr A Smith
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alistair Mac Tir)
Absolutely not
Wrong.

OP, it's a maybe. Get strait As at AS and write a decent personal statement - that'll probably get you an interview. If you get an interview, then you definitely have a chance. Some not-so-impressive GCSEs will not get you rejected in the face of an excellent performance at your interviews.
Matt:)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
To be fair to him, GCSEs do matter; there's just not a minimum required.
Mindless Behavior
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ennahaspatience)
Some representative came from Cambridge to our school. They said that they have no entry requirements but realistically the average student in Cambridge has 7A* at GCSE, they may filter out applicants
If your top 3 AS UMS are very high you're practically guaranteed an interview at Cambridge despite what you achieved at GCSE. I don't think there's a GCSE filter
qr95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ddtown)
Owned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ennahaspatience
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mindless Behavior)
If your top 3 AS UMS are very high you're practically guaranteed an interview at Cambridge despite what you achieved at GCSE. I don't think there's a GCSE filter
The woman said that the average student gets 7a* at GCSE, I am not saying it is certain, i just assumed because the woman from KCL came on afterwards and said they filter out students with less than 5A*
Mindless Behavior
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ennahaspatience)
The woman said that the average student gets 7a* at GCSE, I am not saying it is certain, i just assumed because the woman from KCL came on afterwards and said they filter out students with less than 5A*
Yes but that doesn't mean you cannot get in with less than 7.

KCL =/= Cambridge. Their admission processes are different
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have 4 AS levels, I just mentioned the ones I intend on taking next year (both Englishes and history) but I also do Spanish
You're fine for Oxford, start swotting for the ELAT :cool:
ennahaspatience
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mindless Behavior)
Yes but that doesn't mean you cannot get in with less than 7.

KCL =/= Cambridge. Their admission processes are different
I know. If she/he does really well in AS then it won't be a huge problem. I just assumed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads