kaffee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi...

Im so happy that I got an offer for law from my top choice! But it comes with a condition - must get a 7 in IELTS. Can you help me with this:

a) Do universities mind ielts resitting? If they don't, then I'll get the earliest test date, and just try first.
b) IELTS seems to be the same as LNAT, just that it seems that the former is more science based, and the latter is more humanities based, and a tad longer. If the university asked for a 7 in IELTS, would they accept good LNAT scores as an alternative? Should I just take LNAT, which seems more worthwhile to work on, since I can also use it for other unis in case I need to?
applicant2014
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there! Congrats on your offer!

IELTS seems to be the same as LNAT? LNAT has 42 mcqs and 1 essay only (choose 1 out of 3) while IELTS tests you on different abilities. (speaking, writing, listening...)

I know some unis may accept a good LNAT score as a qualification to prove your proficiency in English, but I personally can't see if there is any discernible correlation between one's proficiency in English and one's LNAT score.

What other unis have you applied to? Did you apply to any LNAT uni?

If you applied to all five non-LNAT unis, I would encourage you to take IELTS instead of LNAT to meet their English requirement. LNAT is not really something you can revise for, since it's called law 'aptitude' test. IELTS would be a better route for you.

Email your unis directly if you have any doubts. No one on here can give you a solid answer but only some rough ideas and brief suggestions.
kaffee
Rep:
?
(Original post by applicant2014)
Hi there! Congrats on your offer!

IELTS seems to be the same as LNAT? LNAT has 42 mcqs and 1 essay only (choose 1 out of 3) while IELTS tests you on different abilities. (speaking, writing, listening...)

I know some unis may accept a good LNAT score as a qualification to prove your proficiency in English, but I personally can't see if there is any discernible correlation between one's proficiency in English and one's LNAT score.

What other unis have you applied to? Did you apply to any LNAT uni?

If you applied to all five non-LNAT unis, I would encourage you to take IELTS instead of LNAT to meet their English requirement. LNAT is not really something you can revise for, since it's called law 'aptitude' test. IELTS would be a better route for you.

Email your unis directly if you have any doubts. No one on here can give you a solid answer but only some rough ideas and brief suggestions.

hihi thanks for ur reply! I haven't applied to any other, but my guess is I shld be able to get Birmingham and Nottingham as well, but that is, if I did LNAT. I'm pretty set on the one I already got, but I thought maybe I should take LNAT just in case something changes.

So do you mean IELTS is easier because it can be revised? Maybe because I did A level law, LNAT seems not so different than IELTS, and I think thats you meant rite - LNAT only 1 essay. Ok yah maybe this is quite personal - i tried both sample tests and the readings about noctural sleep, and helium in IELTS makes my head spin more than those in LNAT. And the subject matter for IELTS' reading test seems to span across a greater scope. I think maybe my biggest doubt is whether LNAT would require higher standard writing than IELTS, because its like ooooo for law? Sigh it just sucks if I have to do both.

I feel a bit uneasy asking the uni directly. Im afraid it'll find me troublesome and take my offer away. lol.
applicant2014
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oohh, don't feel uneasy to enquire something you don't know...I'm sure the uni would be more than willing to clear up your doubts....they certainly won't withdraw their offer...I kept pushing Oxford to give me feedback too last time. (I was rejected by them)

Yeahh, you can prepare for IELTS as they have plenty of reference books for you and you can even take a tuition to prepare for it. It shouldn't be too difficult as quite a few of my friends whom have taken IELTS before said it was just a piece of cake. They all scored pretty well. I'm planning to take IELTS too.

Maybe you can try some LNAT practice tests available online and see how well you score. If you find it easy, then it won't be a big problem for you. I personally didn't do well on LNAT. :/

I applied to 3 LNAT unis and 2 non-LNAT unis.....cheers! I did A-level law too....just to let you know, LNAT is not really testing you on law-related topics, they will just give you some random articles. The average of LNAT scores this year is 21.1/42 and the highest score I have seen so far is 36/42. You should be very proud of yourself if you score above 30, any scores above 30 is considered quite exceptional.

I'm not sure whether higher standard of writing is required for LNAT essay but the unis do not really look at your vocabulary and grammar. ( of course you can't be too bad or else you will not be leaving a good impression to the admissions tutors ) They just want to see how you articulate and form your analysis and arguments, I guess.

Again, I'd strongly encourage you to email your unis concerned directly to see whether they accept your LNAT score to show your proficiency in English....What uni(s) have you got offer(s) from?
kaffee
Rep:
?
Oohh, don't feel uneasy to enquire something you don't know...I'm sure the uni would be more than willing to clear up your doubts....they certainly won't withdraw their offer...I kept pushing Oxford to give me feedback too last time. (I was rejected by them)

Yeahh, you can prepare for IELTS as they have plenty of reference books for you and you can even take a tuition to prepare for it. It shouldn't be too difficult as quite a few of my friends whom have taken IELTS before said it was just a piece of cake. They all scored pretty well. I'm planning to take IELTS too.

Maybe you can try some LNAT practice tests available online and see how well you score. If you find it easy, then it won't be a big problem for you. I personally didn't do well on LNAT. :/

I applied to 3 LNAT unis and 2 non-LNAT unis.....cheers! I did A-level law too....just to let you know, LNAT is not really testing you on law-related topics, they will just give you some random articles. The average of LNAT scores this year is 21.1/42 and the highest score I have seen so far is 36/42. You should be very proud of yourself if you score above 30, any scores above 30 is considered quite exceptional.

I'm not sure whether higher standard of writing is required for LNAT essay but the unis do not really look at your vocabulary and grammar. ( of course you can't be too bad or else you will not be leaving a good impression to the admissions tutors ) They just want to see how you articulate and form your analysis and arguments, I guess.

Again, I'd strongly encourage you to email your unis concerned directly to see whether they accept your LNAT score to show your proficiency in English....What uni(s) have you got offer(s) from?
I got an offer from Manchester actually....

Hmm.. if I manage to get Nottingham and/or Birmingham as well, which one of the three should I pick? I'm leaning towards Manc because it's more internationally reputable as a university in overall (QS ranking, THE ranking wise), and the city is more exciting, it feels more hip, and its got a publishing house (it feels good when law textbooks commonly read come from my university! lol.). But the league tables......sigh.

Btw, don't mind me asking just one more important question about the ielts (which seems to been missed above)...... do you know whether university will mind if I got the required score in a resit? Becos if not then I'll pick the earliest test date and try for it. But if its a yes then maybe I'll pick next month.. Is there any website about this? I checked the uni's website and it doesnt say.
kaffee
Rep:
?

Hmm.. if I manage to get Nottingham and/or Birmingham as well, which one of the three should I pick? I'm leaning towards Manc because it's more internationally reputable as a university in overall (QS ranking, THE ranking wise), and the city is more exciting, it feels more hip, and its got a publishing house (it feels good when law textbooks commonly read come from my university! lol.). But the league tables......sigh.

Btw, don't mind me asking just one more important question about the ielts (which seems to been missed above)...... do you know whether university will mind if I got the required score in a resit? Becos if not then I'll pick the earliest test date and try for it. But if its a yes then maybe I'll pick next month instead.. Is there any website about this? I checked the uni's website and it doesnt say.
applicant2014
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kaffee)

Btw, don't mind me asking just one more important question about the ielts (which seems to been missed above)...... do you know whether university will mind if I got the required score in a resit? Becos if not then I'll pick the earliest test date and try for it. But if its a yes then maybe I'll pick next month instead.. Is there any website about this? I checked the uni's website and it doesnt say.

That's nice! Congratulations! Manchester is indeed a good uni...

Among Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham, I would encourage you to pick Nottingham. Nott is the best out of these three in terms of prestige and rankings. It's internationally reputable as well. A big caveat here : do not go to a uni simply because of its rankings. Choose the one you like most considering its cost of living, the dynamism and vibe of its surroundings and etc. Choose Manchester if this is the uni that you really want to go.

With regards to your second question, I'm sorry to say that I can't give you an answer. I suppose they will still accept your result since they allow candidates to re-take it.

Just re-take it and see how it goes. Manchester should be more lenient on such matter. What score did you get in your IELTS first sitting, if you don't mind me asking?
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
I've never heard of LNAT.

You can re-take IELTS how many times you want. I don't think they'd know it. I have taken it twice, and have entered the date of my first in the system. It doesn't reflect on the certificate of my second test.

But then, I don't think it'd make that much of a difference - My two tests a year apart sees only an increase of 0.5.
applicant2014
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
I've never heard of LNAT.

You can re-take IELTS how many times you want. I don't think they'd know it. I have taken it twice, and have entered the date of my first in the system. It doesn't reflect on the certificate of my second test.

But then, I don't think it'd make that much of a difference - My two tests a year apart sees only an increase of 0.5.
LNAT is an acronym which stands for 'Law National Aptitude Test'. It is a compulsory test for law applicants to sit for who apply to certain unis. (i.e. Oxbridge, UCL, Nottingham, King's and etc )
El Salvador
Report 7 years ago
LNAT is an acronym which stands for 'Law National Aptitude Test'. It is a compulsory test for law applicants to sit for who apply to certain unis. (i.e. Oxbridge, UCL, Nottingham, King's and etc )
OIC, thank you. In this case, wouldn't it be very different regarding its nature, purpose, level, recognition, and functions from IELTS?
applicant2014
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OIC, thank you. In this case, wouldn't it be very different regarding its nature, purpose, level, recognition, and functions from IELTS?
You're welcome!

Yeaa, much to my surprise, LNAT doesn't test you on any legal knowledge. They do not expect you to have prior legal knowledge, not even in the slightest. It's pretty much like an English test. They mainly test on your analytical skills ( they claimed this, which I disagreed though) which are quite rudimentary for in-depth law pursuit.

LNAT is not widely recognised as an English qualification like IELTS as this test is specifically devised for law applicants only. ( thus only a few unis may accept it as a proof of your English proficiency) LNAT serves as an additional discriminatory devise for*the unis concerned to distinguish between a fairly strong applicant and a very strong one.
El Salvador
Report 7 years ago
You're welcome!

Yeaa, much to my surprise, LNAT doesn't test you on any legal knowledge. They do not expect you to have prior legal knowledge, not even in the slightest. It's pretty much like an English test. They mainly test on your analytical skills ( they claimed this, which I disagreed though) which are quite rudimentary for in-depth law pursuit.

LNAT is not widely recognised as an English qualification like IELTS as this test is specifically devised for law applicants only. ( thus only a few unis may accept it as a proof of your English proficiency) LNAT serves as an additional discriminatory devise for*the unis concerned to distinguish between a fairly strong applicant and a very strong one.
It's for people applying for undergraduate degrees so definitely would not be appropriate to test legal knowledge.
applicant2014
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's for people applying for undergraduate degrees so definitely would not be appropriate to test legal knowledge.
Yeah, I get what you mean. But it just sounds a bit contradictory to me as it's called 'law test' but in fact they do not even test you on any law-related topics.
El Salvador
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I get what you mean. But it just sounds a bit contradictory to me as it's called 'law test' but in fact they do not even test you on any law-related topics.
I think it could still work. Obviously I don't know what it's actually tested so I cannot comment specifically.

But an examination can focus more on the ways to construct an argument, the ability to refute an argument, the ability to write formal English, and possibly some true/false/not given reading comprehension questions.
kaffee
Rep:
?
That's nice! Congratulations! Manchester is indeed a good uni...

Among Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham, I would encourage you to pick Nottingham. Nott is the best out of these three in terms of prestige and rankings. It's internationally reputable as well. A big caveat here : do not go to a uni simply because of its rankings. Choose the one you like most considering its cost of living, the dynamism and vibe of its surroundings and etc. Choose Manchester if this is the uni that you really want to go.

With regards to your second question, I'm sorry to say that I can't give you an answer. I suppose they will still accept your result since they allow candidates to re-take it.

Just re-take it and see how it goes. Manchester should be more lenient on such matter. What score did you get in your IELTS first sitting, if you don't mind me asking?

No no... I haven't taken the ielts yet. What I'm saying is if resits do not matter then I'll won't be afraid to just get the earliest date which is two weeks from now. If resits do matter then I might choose a later date so I'll have more time to prepare.

Hmm.. btw what do you think of Southampton. How do you think it compares to Manc, Notts, and Birm?

You know, actually I've been to all the universities. And although they say Notts campus is very beautiful, I think Birm is the best looking one. I must say Im a huge fan of tall clock towers and castle-like buildings. But I'm largely torn between the QS Ranking and the League Tables. Manc and Birm is like higher than Notts on the QS but its the other way round for the league tables.

At the moment Im leaning towards relying more on the QS, because I've read ppl saying the league tables are not too reliable, because much of it is based on student satisfaction which might vary too much according to the expectations of the students, and also because they change radically each year? And also, what about Nobel prize winners? Its like Manc has many more. So if I were to rank these four in terms of graduate prospects, I would say: Manc > Birm > Notts > Soton. How would you rank them?

I think the sum of the evidence might mean that those higher on the league tables sell in terms of better service/teaching. And those higher on the QS sell in terms of having better reputation or being better known.

Oh btw, I read from somewhere one could find out how many first class or 2.1 do each university give out. Does anybody know where I can find those stats? One thing I would be more wary of is such things.
applicant2014
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No no... I haven't taken the ielts yet. What I'm saying is if resits do not matter then I'll won't be afraid to just get the earliest date which is two weeks from now. If resits do matter then I might choose a later date so I'll have more time to prepare.

Hmm.. btw what do you think of Southampton. How do you think it compares to Manc, Notts, and Birm?

You know, actually I've been to all the universities. And although they say Notts campus is very beautiful, I think Birm is the best looking one. I must say Im a huge fan of tall clock towers and castle-like buildings. But I'm largely torn between the QS Ranking and the League Tables. Manc and Birm is like higher than Notts on the QS but its the other way round for the league tables.

At the moment Im leaning towards relying more on the QS, because I've read ppl saying the league tables are not too reliable, because much of it is based on student satisfaction which might vary too much according to the expectations of the students, and also because they change radically each year? And also, what about Nobel prize winners? Its like Manc has many more. So if I were to rank these four in terms of graduate prospects, I would say: Manc > Birm > Notts > Soton. How would you rank them?

I think the sum of the evidence might mean that those higher on the league tables sell in terms of better service/teaching. And those higher on the QS sell in terms of having better reputation or being better known.

Oh btw, I read from somewhere one could find out how many first class or 2.1 do each university give out. Does anybody know where I can find those stats? One thing I would be more wary of is such things.
Ohh...sorry that I've misunderstood you...if that's the case, I will strongly encourage you to take IELTS at a later date so that you can do more preparation and become more familiarised with its format. There's no point rushing into it and smash yourself with silly mistakes. Is there any factor that is compelling you to take IELTS earlier? If no, you may well just pick a later date and it will do you no harm anyway. Btw, I believe you will do an incredibly well job in IELTS!

*2014 CUG ranking: Nottingham (6th) > Birmingham (12th) > Southampton (22nd) > Manchester (24th)

*http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...rankings?s=law

* 2014 The Guardian ranking : Nottingham (9th) > Birmingham (17th) > Southampton (20th) > Manchester ( 27th)

*http://www.theguardian.com/education...sity-guide-law

*2014 Times ranking :

The 2014 Good University Guide rankings for the top 10 law schools in the United Kingdom are as follows (with last year’s ranking in brackets):

1.Cambridge (2)
2.LSE (3)
3.Oxford (1)
4.Nottingham (5)*
5.Durham (6)
6.*UCL (4)*
7.Glasgow (10)*
8.Queen Mary (8)*
9.Queen’s, Belfast (27)
10.*Kent (24)

All the rankings above have shown that Nott keeps outperforming Manc, South and Birm in terms of rankings. It's a landslide victory for Nott, I would have to say.

If I were you, I would rank Nottingham > Manchester > Birmingham + Southampton. This is just my own suggestion. I may be wrong on this. Rankings shouldn't be the sole factor. Their environments are equally important, I believe.

PM some experienced users here such as Jenkinsear, Nulli tertius, vnupe and etc to ask for their 'professional' advice and ask how they would rank amomg these 4 unis. They would be more than willing to help you. (They are all very helpful on here. ) You can find them on the thread named 'law applicants 2014'.

Birmingham is a 'career suicide' choice from what I've heard. ( This is in no way defamatory. Mere opinion it is. I heard that Birm graduates are harder to find jobs at some top law firms. If you aren't interested in going to top law firms in London, then you shouldn't be worried about this. Are you aiming to work at top law firms after graduating or do you have other plans?)

Regarding your last question, you can include it on your pm. I can't help on that, unfortunately.

Please do tell me about their answers. I'm quite curious as to how they will rank these four unis. Good luck!
applicant2014
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Just for your convenience, I've helped you to double-check their names. Their usernames are 'vnupe', 'jenkinsear' and 'nulli tertius'. There is no capital letter at all.( you just strictly follow the way I write their usernames.) You just go to your 'private message' section and type their usernames there and send your inquiry simultaneously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (97)
27.71%
No (253)
72.29%

Watched Threads