The Student Room Group

English at Birmingham!

I haven't applied to Birmingham university but it looks really appealing now! Do I stand a chance in getting in through clearing/adjustment with Bs? I know somebody that got into warwick with BBC so was just wondering...I know Birmingham is a really good uni and therefore the grades are high, but how leniant are they?
Reply 1
Original post by Naveesha
I haven't applied to Birmingham university but it looks really appealing now! Do I stand a chance in getting in through clearing/adjustment with Bs? I know somebody that got into warwick with BBC so was just wondering...I know Birmingham is a really good uni and therefore the grades are high, but how leniant are they?

I'm on a gap year retaking my A2's and I got BCE last year. I missed the UCAS deadline and sent my application in February and received an offer from Bham two weeks later for AAB. I didn't have a predicted grade for History as I'm doing it intensively. I'd say my personal statement was my biggest strength in helping me obtain that offer. So it's worth a shot!
Reply 2
Original post by Rubyx
I'm on a gap year retaking my A2's and I got BCE last year. I missed the UCAS deadline and sent my application in February and received an offer from Bham two weeks later for AAB. I didn't have a predicted grade for History as I'm doing it intensively. I'd say my personal statement was my biggest strength in helping me obtain that offer. So it's worth a shot!

Oh right! It's good you got an offer :smile: I've had offers from all my university choices but I don't feel like going there anymore, I'd love to get in somewhere better but with my current grades it just doesn't seem possible >_< Debating whether to take a gap year or not!
Reply 3
Original post by Naveesha
Oh right! It's good you got an offer :smile: I've had offers from all my university choices but I don't feel like going there anymore, I'd love to get in somewhere better but with my current grades it just doesn't seem possible >_< Debating whether to take a gap year or not!

That's great! Which Universities? If you're unsure I definitely recommend taking a gap year. I'm currently on a gap year and it's the best decision I made, I'm more sure on what course I want to do and where I want to study.
Reply 4
Original post by Rubyx
That's great! Which Universities? If you're unsure I definitely recommend taking a gap year. I'm currently on a gap year and it's the best decision I made, I'm more sure on what course I want to do and where I want to study.

Essex, Brunel, Conventry, Buckingham and Hertfordshire. Yeah a gap year seems good because I can retake my exams and get into an uni I like but at the same time I'm not sure because I'd prefer to go to uni as soon as possible! It depends on my grades I guess, but they're not looking too good atm :/ How does a gap year work? I go to a sixth form right now, would they let me retake my exams there? Also do you go to a college or somewhere to get help with your studying or do you just revise at home? I'm a little unsure about the details, sorry about all the questions! :P
Reply 5
Original post by Rubyx

That's great you got an offer well done. What other unis did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? :smile: Also i'm guessing you didn't do history during AS and A2 since you're doing it intensively? I'm thinking to take a gap year and do an Alevel in one year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by prettyugly
That's great you got an offer well done. What other unis did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? :smile: Also i'm guessing you didn't do history during AS and A2 since you're doing it intensively? I'm thinking to take a gap year and do an Alevel in one year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks! i applied to southampton, sheffield, liverpool, queen mary also and received offers from all of them :smile: i'ld definitely recommend taking a gap year it's the best decision with doing an intensive a level as now i plan on studying both english and history at university. what a levels are you currently taking and what do you plan on studying at university? oh, and no i didn't study history during AS/A2, im currently retaking economics and doing history intensively on my own lol.
Reply 7
Original post by Rubyx
thanks! i applied to southampton, sheffield, liverpool, queen mary also and received offers from all of them :smile: i'ld definitely recommend taking a gap year it's the best decision with doing an intensive a level as now i plan on studying both english and history at university. what a levels are you currently taking and what do you plan on studying at university? oh, and no i didn't study history during AS/A2, im currently retaking economics and doing history intensively on my own lol.

Oh wow that's great! I've applied for english and law but i'm not so sure anymore (i've firmed and everything) so it's most likely i'll go into clearing to hopefully find a course (maths/accounting) and if not then gap year it is. I do psychology maths and english.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending