Which area of inner london should I move to?

Watch
Davey1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys. I'm trying to make my mind up where to move to and everytime I google a place it just seems to be riddled with crime or people *****ing about youths hanging around the streets and your home getting broken into.

Due to budget reasons smack bang central london is off limits but I can move to places likes poplar, tower hamlets, canary wharf, aldgate ect are all fine but I just don't know where to go.

I want somewhere which is easily within cycling distance from central london. Ideally Westminster, lambeth or southwark but I just don't know what's nice.
fashionistauk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Much cheaper to live further out and use the underground and safer
ManifoldManifest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fashionistauk)
Much cheaper to live further out and use the underground and safer
Live too far out though and what you save on rent you end up spending on travel cards. It's a bit of a balancing act.

OP: Of the places you've listed, I'd say Canary Wharf if you can afford it. It's a nice enough area, and has decent travel.

East London is pretty popular and still fairly affordable, but transport can be an issue since there's not so much tube access outside of the bits that fall on the Central Line.

The Southern end of the Northern line also has some nice places that might be worth looking at. I've lived in Tooting before, which was pleasant enough, and is basically one straight road up through Balham/Clapham/Oval to Waterloo if you want to cycle.
jlondon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi davey1!

I agree with ManifoldManifest on the fact that it is kind of a balancing act if you live out of the centre, but I think it is worth it. It is usually safer and more relaxed.
I also agree that Canary Wharf is a nice area. I have never lived there but it is a growing area and a lot of people are opting to move there.

However, I would recommend you Lambeth, preferably Oval or Stockwell. I live there and it is a calm place with everything you need (supermarkets, shops, parks...) at walking/biking distance. The prices are not bad at all and you can be in (for example) Bank in 8 min with the northern line from Oval, kennington, Stockwell or reach Oxford Circus in 10 min through the Victoria Line from Stockwell. Also, nightlife and entertainment is guaranteed in Clapham (really close by when you head a bit more south) and if you wish to go out in the centre you can reach back home in 25-30 min with a couple of buses from basically any place in the city.

You can have a better look at a review of the areas in these two sites:

- http://goo.gl/eNqBYJ
- http://goo.gl/kEQ9Es

Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.33%
I'm not sure (8)
2.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.33%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed