Guys, would you stay with a girl if you found out she self harmed in the past?

Watch
Throwaway221
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As the title says really.
If you found scars or she told you would it freak you out? What about if she still did it?
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You would be a bit of a tosser if you didn't.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I saw a perspective partner had self harm scars, I might think she was a bit above my emotional level. But with a current partner, of course not.

If she still did it, it would be hard because I really don't think I'm the right person to be a relationship with someone who is mentally ill, my empathy is awful, but I'd feel like a terrible person if I didn't. So dunno.
jay2013
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Throwaway221)
If you found scars or she told you would it freak you out? What about if she still did it?
I would definitely stay if I really liked/loved her. On the plus side, I would feel even more attracted to her as I would feel a sense of being her knight in shining armour so to speak, the guy to protect her, the guy to help her through it (if she still did it).
MovesLikeAgger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My boyfriend knew I self harmed and he's still with me now. It depends on the guy really. Some can't take emotional baggage, others can.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I would
Keyenesian
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nah, cba for a girl who's going to 360 no scope out the balcony, tbh.
Chihiro95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was wondering if this would be a turn off. I have self-harm scars on my forearm from two years ago that won't fade. I make no attempt to cover them as they're only visible when close up. Would this freak people out?
b3kky
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Throwaway221)
The past is the past it can't be changed it can only be accepted and if he's not gonna accept her for who she is then well he needs be shown the door.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No emotional baggage. If she can move on and forget it then that's great but if it's constantly going to come up AND even used as justification for irrational/unreasonable behaviour then she's got to go.

I couldn't stay with someone out of pity, that's just plain wrong and dishonest.
Mockery
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I fear that things could escalate to a level of emotional obscurity that I simply wouldn't be equipped to understand never mind to diffuse and resolve.

What would I do if she self harmed again at any point when we're together? I'd fear that I'd be completely useless and a waste of space.
JustGeorgeJ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course I'd stay with her. Be it in her past or present.
Self harm is nothing to look upon in disgust or anything of the sort.
Self harm is serious and people are brought to it as a means of escape, they are brought to it through many reasons. If you are with the girl, you have accepted them for everything that have been, are and ever will be. So if you found out they had and left, you'd be a complete **** and that girl did not deserve you in any way possible.
Sure, to found out might knock you back and shock you - especially if you've never really experienced self harm up close - but if you just talk to the person, you can get to a point where you understand. It may not be the way you would have handled things, but you can't judge the person you are with, not at all.
If you had found out they used to self harm, then more than anything they deserve your respect, support, care and love and let them know how proud you are because if they are still round and doing better, then that it's good. They manage to overcome the problems in their lives that were bringing them down.
Seriously, I've delt with countless friends and family members that have self harmed, I've watched them do it in crowded rooms, when they are on their own and at various other times and various other reasons. It's all down to the person at hand, leaving them will make them feel alone and make them ten times worse.

You could never do that to a person, especially not to a girl you are with.
I understand that people don't understand self harm and can be scared about it because they feel they may be useless to the person, but more than anything, they need you. You don't have to know what to do, just be there. They just need you to be there. To talk to.
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I saw scars on a girl when we were just starting to go out I would get out of there as soon as possible
kpofsuburbia
  • Study Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My boyfriend saw my scars and he supported my through everything.
001merp
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes I would. It's vital that you support the person, even though that can seem hard and it might seem like there's nothing you can do. Just being there to listen to people can help them in a bigger way than you can know. Walking out would be silly and could make things worse for them...
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone who says no is a ****
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At least the people saying no are being honest.

I would stay with someone if they self-harmed in the past because, whilst never a self-harmer myself, I've been treated for major depressive disorder in the past. So, to that extent it wouldn't affect me if I found out a partner was going through anything like that because I can kinda empathize with them on some level.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lets just say it would be a massive hypcorite if I didn't...

That said I'd need to make them aware of my own situation and that in the past I have found others self-harm triggering in myself and if that happened I would, obviously, have no choice but to end it.
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yea, as long as it wasn't used as an emotional manipulation tool.
awe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My boyfriend, clearly, says yes.
Although it is understood that he would have trouble staying with me if I were to ever self-harm now. And I'm ok with that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (216)
33.8%
No (423)
66.2%

Watched Threads