The Student Room Group

going to uni at 17-what to expect from students?

Ill be doing a business foundation at nottingham trent- what's the class atmosphere etc?

Regarding accommodation, i know what they look like but hows life there and the relationship with people? will they treat me different cause I'm younger?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You might miss out on some things (unless you have, *ahem* methods) especially during freshers, and if anything that'll effect how people treat you more than the actual age difference. When do you turn 18?
Reply 2
Expect the same workload as everyone else.
Reply 3
Original post by Damask-
You might miss out on some things (unless you have, *ahem* methods) especially during freshers, and if anything that'll effect how people treat you more than the actual age difference. When do you turn 18?

I'm turning 17 just before the semester would start- so they'll never see me at 18. True, they can't invite me to go out drinking but if that's what their life revolves around, it's their loss not mine..
Reply 4
Original post by damnation
I'm turning 17 just before the semester would start- so they'll never see me at 18. True, they can't invite me to go out drinking but if that's what their life revolves around, it's their loss not mine..

Wow, that's very young. Did you consider taking a gap year?
Reply 5
Are you really bright and done a-levels 2 years before everyone else?
Reply 6
Original post by Damask-
Wow, that's very young. Did you consider taking a gap year?

I'm doing a foundation, instead of the last year of high school, you can start it at 16 apparently
Reply 7
I'm doing a foundation, instead of the last year of high school, you can start it at 16 apparently

What qualifications have you got right now? You still have to have school leaving qualifications to do a foundation year.
Reply 8
Original post by Damask-
What qualifications have you got right now? You still have to have school leaving qualifications to do a foundation year.

I have my IGCSE's and they want a letter of recommendation. I'll have my 4 AS grades when I start the year
Reply 9
I have my IGCSE's and they want a letter of recommendation. I'll have my 4 AS grades when I start the year

You know foundation years are for people who didn't do as well as they planned at A2, right? They're not an equivalent to getting your A2 grades.
Why are you starting uni so early?
Reply 11
Original post by Damask-
You know foundation years are for people who didn't do as well as they planned at A2, right? They're not an equivalent to getting your A2 grades.

Well no they were originally designed for international students who needed to be qualified to study in that country, or people who wanted to do something in uni that they didn't in A2..
Reply 12
Original post by chelseafan
Why are you starting uni so early?

I know what I want to do and i can study it in depth and then do that course in uni because id have the qualifications to. Plus i can't stay at my school now and need to reside away from my family
Original post by Damask-

No. Theyre primarily for people who got good grades but picked the wrong subjects.
I know what I want to do and i can study it in depth and then do that course in uni because id have the qualifications to. Plus i can't stay at my school now and need to reside away from my family

Finish your education properly first. There is no need to rush going to uni.
Reply 15
Original post by chelseafan
Finish your education properly first. There is no need to rush going to uni.

Not that simple, i just moved to a new school, town and have no friends at all-they don't usually get new people. I can't stay there next year, and the only alternative is boarding school for the last year or uni early.
Could you give us a link to the relevant foundation course? That will help us to give you some better replies, but what other people have said about foundation years is true in most cases. Universities aren't normally in the business of providing alternatives to school for uppity 17 year olds.

Have you actually got an offer from the university? If not, this may all be a moot point.
How exactly are you planning on affording accommodation?
You're only 16 right now.. Why not just wait, theres no rush.

You wouldn't think it but there's quite a difference between you and everyone else that's going to be there. A lot of maturing happens in those two years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by lipslikemorphine
How exactly are you planning on affording accommodation?
You're only 16 right now.. Why not just wait, theres no rush.

You wouldn't think it but there's quite a difference between that and everyone else that's going to be there. A lot of maturing happens in those two years.

I'm pretty sure he's going to afford it the same way as everyone else. Student finance/loan? :P

About the second point. I couldn't agree more
Original post by AR_95
I'm pretty sure he's going to afford it the same way as everyone else. Student finance/loan? :P

About the second point. I couldn't agree more

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought you didn't get funding for foundation year? I thought funding for foundations were only covered if you had to take the foundation year but the whole course was actually 4 years.

edit:

The following courses are not covered.

Access or conversion courses which prepare
students to take a higher education course
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending