Tax back Watch

Stakesby
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm a student working part-time, in this last year I have been taxed quite a lot, and everyone has told me not to worry because I should get it all back at the end of the financial year. I haven't earned the tax threshold which I think is £7000 or £8000, but I have been taxed about £700 or so...
The financial year has ended and I still haven't got it back, does anyone know when I should be getting worried about it? Or when I should be expecting I get it back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sectumsempra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The financial year doesn't end until the end of March so you should get a rebate in April/May

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stakesby
Rep:
?
On may pay slips it said the tax year ended on February 10th, or is that a different thing?
And do I need to phone? Or is it done automatically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sectumsempra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's something different, I'm not sure what but the new tax year most definitely starts on about 6th April. It should get done automatically but if you haven't had anything by the next month or so then best to call them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stakesby
Rep:
?
Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stakesby)
I'm a student working part-time, in this last year I have been taxed quite a lot, and everyone has told me not to worry because I should get it all back at the end of the financial year. I haven't earned the tax threshold which I think is £7000 or £8000, but I have been taxed about £700 or so...
The financial year has ended and I still haven't got it back, does anyone know when I should be getting worried about it? Or when I should be expecting I get it back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like others have said, the financial year ends at the end of march/beginning of april. So you should get it back then. But it might be worth phoning the tax office though, just to make sure. Ive found that the tax man is quick to take money off you when you owe it to them, but can be slow to give it back when its the other way round.
JosephNV
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I called HMRC and the very helpful advisor said I would get everything back on my next pay date - which I did. From then on I didn't get taxed at all.

Beats waiting the whole year...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
16.19%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.2%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (87)
19.29%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (62)
13.75%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
29.93%

Watched Threads