The Commonwealth and young people... should we care?

Watch
N3RO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey TSR!
So with Commonwealth day coming around again in a couple of weeks I feel like it may be a good idea to present an assembly on it. I just want your thoughts on the Commonwealth and particularly young people's importance in it. Why should we care? I want to focus on tolerance and respect as well as the interdependence between commonwealth nations so any ideas to get youngsters to think about their role in society etc. would be much appreciated. I am very interested on what all of you have to say, as generally the TSR community is a very informed bunch of people.

Thanks in advance
~Nero
Lawyer_Up
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thought provoking post OP, here's my two cents.

As Britions, we should be immensely proud of our Commonwealth and its incredible positive impact on our world. As young people, we must never forget the scarifice it has taken our ancestors to create and maintain such a great and unique alliance.

Over two billion people in the world are commonwealth citizens. As the Queen is head of state, the commonwealth is symbolic with freedom and democracy, which can only be seen as positive, especially in countries that are located in unstable regions. Trade in the Commonwealth is at unprecedented levels where commonwealth countries have exporyed over 1.5 trillion of goods in 2011.

I personally love to think of the commonwealth as 'the empire' as it used to be, which we can all be thankful for. The commonwealth should serve to remind us Brits that at one point, we ruled the world and should be proud of our achievements. I firmly believe, especially now with our almost revitalised Royal family, that we can head forward and expand the commonwealth into the 21st century.

I would love to write more on this but its tedious on my phone. Plus its Friday night and I've had a drink. Maybe two. Ok five.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My opinion is that the Commonwealth today exists only as a forum in a similar manner to the UN. There seems little impetus for a free trade zone for example and there are significant differences between it's peoples as a whole. It is to me a historical example of the greatness we achieved and the failure we oversaw in not allowing for its evolution at least to a limited degree.

I suspect when people think of the Commonwealth today they think primarily of those white nations (Australia ect..) and even among this select group there seems little indication that it desires to be anything more, even to the point of a free trade zone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads