The Student Room Group

Had to change one of my A level options, stay at my sixth form and do it or move?

I chose to do Maths, Physics, History and French. But now the option blocks have been made, I can't take both History and Physics as they're in the same block. Therefore I had to change Physics to Chemistry. I don't dislike Chemistry but I certainly don't like it as much as I like Physics. I don't know whether to stay at my sixth form and study chemistry, or move somewhere else so I'm able to do Physics.

I preferably want to stay at my school because for all my other subjects at A level, I have a good relationship with the teachers and am confident I'll do well with them. However if I move and study with teachers I don't know and who don't know me, I don't think I'd do as well.

What would you do? Help :confused:
Original post by Frannoooooooo
I chose to do Maths, Physics, History and French. But now the option blocks have been made, I can't take both History and Physics as they're in the same block. Therefore I had to change Physics to Chemistry. I don't dislike Chemistry but I certainly don't like it as much as I like Physics. I don't know whether to stay at my sixth form and study chemistry, or move somewhere else so I'm able to do Physics.

I preferably want to stay at my school because for all my other subjects at A level, I have a good relationship with the teachers and am confident I'll do well with them. However if I move and study with teachers I don't know and who don't know me, I don't think I'd do as well.

I would move and did move. It was extremely tough at first; settling in etc., but I think that the most important thing is to do what you REALLY want to do.
Original post by Frannoooooooo

I think you should move like the person before said do what you really want to do. I ditched my close friends from my secondary school :/ to go to a college which offered me better courses its worth it in the end and anyways you will be going different ways from your mates some day :P
I think you should move! Oh and beware of if you have the same teachers as you had in GCSE. From past experiences, some teachers are sooo so good at GCSE, but when it comes to A-levels, they are totally awful! Can you confirm that you will be having the same GCSE teachers for A-level?

If you get a "natural high" from studying Physics, you should pick that instead of chemistry! I think moving Sixth Form and stuff, is part of the 'growing up' process. It helps you to become more independent and more confident. When you're in a different sixth form, you get the chance to reinvent yourself. No one knows you or your past and it's weird how you have cliques in Year 11, and you'd judge each other etc but at sixth form no one cares about other people's business' (obvs when something good happens at an 18 or a house party) but that become last week's news.

I would change. I think a new scene might do you some good. Been at my school for almost a decade... As long as some teachers... It's not a nice feeling aha! Can't wait to leave this year though!
School ended up changing the timetable so I could do the options I want haha :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest