The Student Room Group

What Univerisity to pick?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could be of any help please.
Going to be studying adult nursing in September 2014 and having difficultly picking a university.

Anyone currently studying at UWE or the University of Birmingham? or even know much about them ? these are the two i'm struggling to pick between.

Thanking you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by robins12
Going to be studying adult nursing in September 2014 and having difficultly picking a university.

Anyone currently studying at UWE or the University of Birmingham? or even know much about them ? these are the two i'm struggling to pick between.

Have you been to visit either of them? You're going to be living there for the best part of three years so it makes sense to go have a look around and see if you like it.
Reply 2

Birmingham is a much better Uni (Russell Group) It does make a difference.
Anyway I'm biased as I just firmed them. I went to an AVD and loved it, even in torrential rain!
Reply 3
Original post by Cobbler
Birmingham is a much better Uni (Russell Group) It does make a difference.
Anyway I'm biased as I just firmed them. I went to an AVD and loved it, even in torrential rain!

Not with nursing it doesn't. The course content is set by the NMC so that it's similar so there is no disparity in nurses knowledge across the country. As I suggested to the OP, it's best to have a look and see whether you like the place, how they conduct their teaching and so on, the actual reputation doesn't have any bearing on future employment prospects like it may with other courses.
Reply 4
Original post by moonkatt
Not with nursing it doesn't. The course content is set by the NMC so that it's similar so there is no disparity in nurses knowledge across the country. As I suggested to the OP, it's best to have a look and see whether you like the place, how they conduct their teaching and so on, the actual reputation doesn't have any bearing on future employment prospects like it may with other courses.

Thanks for replying.. been to Birmingham uni twice to visit and a number of times to the city itself as my friends live in Birmingham and go to UOB.
Also visited Bristol and UWE.. just so hard to make the right decision. Sometimes having advice of students at the uni's helps as looking into accommodation and things can be stressful. Narrowed my five decisions to these two.. struggling to pick!
Reply 5
Thanks for replying.. been to Birmingham uni twice to visit and a number of times to the city itself as my friends live in Birmingham and go to UOB.
Also visited Bristol and UWE.. just so hard to make the right decision. Sometimes having advice of students at the uni's helps as looking into accommodation and things can be stressful. Narrowed my five decisions to these two.. struggling to pick!

Yeah I get what you mean. I don't really know much about UWE, though Bristol does look like a fun place to live. UoB has a lovely campus and it's on the doorstep of a mahoosive hospital, there's several hospitals around the city you could end up on placement in.
Reply 6
Yeah I get what you mean. I don't really know much about UWE, though Bristol does look like a fun place to live. UoB has a lovely campus and it's on the doorstep of a mahoosive hospital, there's several hospitals around the city you could end up on placement in.

This is what makes it so hard.. i really like both Uni's and cities. Yeah Birmingham has the new Queen Elizabeth hospital but i'm under the impression that its has older nursing facilities at the university. Then UWE has brand new high tech nursing facilities on campus but older hospitals.

I don't know or haven't been able to speak to anyone who studies adult nursing at either of these uni's to get any advice! Ahhhh stressful times
Reply 7
This is what makes it so hard.. i really like both Uni's and cities. Yeah Birmingham has the new Queen Elizabeth hospital but i'm under the impression that its has older nursing facilities at the university. Then UWE has brand new high tech nursing facilities on campus but older hospitals.

I don't know or haven't been able to speak to anyone who studies adult nursing at either of these uni's to get any advice! Ahhhh stressful times

I used to chat to a guy who was doing nursing at UoB. He said the group sizes were smaller, but a lot of the time their lectures were dotted all over the place rather than in the one place on campus. The age of the facilities where you do your clinical skills doesn't really matter, I could teach you how to measure a manual blood pressure on a double decker bus if I had to. It's the quality of the teaching that matters. I know a lot of the staff at the QE go and teach at UoB and BCU.

There's still quite a few hospitals in Bristol including a large major trauma centre so you'd get to experience most specialities there.
Reply 8
I used to chat to a guy who was doing nursing at UoB. He said the group sizes were smaller, but a lot of the time their lectures were dotted all over the place rather than in the one place on campus. The age of the facilities where you do your clinical skills doesn't really matter, I could teach you how to measure a manual blood pressure on a double decker bus if I had to. It's the quality of the teaching that matters. I know a lot of the staff at the QE go and teach at UoB and BCU.

There's still quite a few hospitals in Bristol including a large major trauma centre so you'd get to experience most specialities there.

Very true about the quality of teaching rather than facilities on campus! The UoB uni itself is amazing.. on my first visit i was in complete awe of it. Birmingham seems to have a better range of accommodation too.
I think the main reason i've kept Bristol as my other option is purely because its closer to home for me than Birmingham.
But suppose i shouldn't make a decision based on that! Thanks for your comments though.. major appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending