The Student Room Group

Biology or Further Maths A-Level

Hi, I'm having some problems choosing my A-Levels. So far I'm definitely doing Maths, Chemistry and Physics. However I don't know which of these two to pick as my fourth. I'm currently thinking about doing engineering or medicine at University or possibly natural sciences. Even though I'm better at maths than biology now I think I'm more likely to do better at Biology at A-Level. Also, is further maths REALLY needed for engineering courses. Thanks for any replies.
Original post by Spelly456
Hi, I'm having some problems choosing my A-Levels. So far I'm definitely doing Maths, Chemistry and Physics. However I don't know which of these two to pick as my fourth. I'm currently thinking about doing engineering or medicine at University or possibly natural sciences. Even though I'm better at maths than biology now I think I'm more likely to do better at Biology at A-Level. Also, is further maths REALLY needed for engineering courses. Thanks for any replies.

Tbh I do fmaths and it isnt worth the hassle as a fourth a level
Further Maths and don't do medicine.

Though you could still at certain universities, like Cambridge.
Reply 3
Original post by AlphaNick
Well... until you decide, you can't be sure.

Engineering/Natural Sciences = Further Maths
Medicine = Biology

Really? I thought further maths and biology would be viewed equally for natural sciences.
Do biology, most unis don't require further only the top ones
Reply 5
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Further Maths and don't do medicine.

Though you could still at certain universities, like Cambridge.

Lots of conflicting opinions here! Why not medicine?

I do all Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at A-level - because like you, I'm contemplating either Engineering/ or Dentistry which are both at opposite ends of the science scale. If you can;t do all 5, you really need to think about what you want to do.

If you're not into medicine now, you'll probably not be into it later. You'll need loads of ECs, Volunteering and stuff.

People do medicine for the wrong reasons I think, and you could do NatSci and then do GEM if you really wanted it after.

Or do biology and further maths AS. Shouldn't be too hard but normally medics don't do fm
Reply 8
Original post by jake4198
I do all Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at A-level - because like you, I'm contemplating either Engineering/ or Dentistry which are both at opposite ends of the science scale. If you can;t do all 5, you really need to think about what you want to do.

Wow, I wish I could do five but my school doesn't allow it. How would you compare the difficulty and enjoyment of biology and further maths?
Wow, I wish I could do five but my school doesn't allow it. How would you compare the difficulty and enjoyment of biology and further maths?

If you think logically and are good at Maths, Further Maths is the better option, but it is really difficult and stressful, there's also a lot of work loads (but that might be because I don't have lessons in it, only an hour after school).

Biology is good if you're good at remembering; it's the easiest of all the sciences in my opinion (inc. Maths) and it's quite enjoyable.

So I prefer Bio over FM - but if you choose Bio you really have to prepare to go into the life sciences, if you choose FM, you're going into the physical sciences.

I think I'm going to go for Dentistry so I'm dropping FM for A2, I think if you think academically you're good enough for Medicine - go for it!

Hope I helped
You could always so do AS Further Maths in one year and AS Biology in the other. But for medicine, you need at least AS Biology. Biology is for everyone, it's just a lot of memory work and then applying so it's not TOO difficult. Most schools let you off with FM as a 5th A Level because it's similar to Maths. Try speaking to your school about it? :smile:
Reply 11

OP, I had the same choice as you, and I was thinking about doing either engineering medicine, or nat sci. I chose further maths, and have now got an offer for medicine.
imo, I would do further maths because if you want to go Oxbridge for engineering/nat sci, you'll need further maths, and for medicine it doesn't matter where you go, there are about 6/7 unis you can apply to without bio.
Reply 12
Original post by PARTy
OP, I had the same choice as you, and I was thinking about doing either engineering medicine, or nat sci. I chose further maths, and have now got an offer for medicine.
imo, I would do further maths because if you want to go Oxbridge for engineering/nat sci, you'll need further maths, and for medicine it doesn't matter where you go, there are about 6/7 unis you can apply to without bio.

That's some very interesting information, I think further maths would now seem like the obvious answer. The only issue is whether I could handle it and if It would pull my other grades down. I guess I wouldn't know till I started it :s-smilie:
Reply 13
That's some very interesting information, I think further maths would now seem like the obvious answer. The only issue is whether I could handle it and if It would pull my other grades down. I guess I wouldn't know till I started it :s-smilie:

I think further maths in the first year is do able, it's not much beyond gcse and we did C1-4 first year, and no-one did that badly. If you then hate it and want to do medicine, you could apply and most likely it won't be part of your offer (I need a U in it :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest