suzylemonade
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have two possible options at the moment and I really don't know which to go for:

1) Medicine. Sometimes I'm enthusiastic about this, mostly I'm not. Trying to find work experience is a nightmare. And then there's the added stress of a lot of my friends going for medicine as well and constantly trying to compete with me. The only reason I'm thinking of this is because I could possibly find it quite interesting? Being a doctor could be good? But then at the same time, the prospect of being stuck in a hospital for the rest of my working life terrifies me D: My mum is all for this option.

2) Chemistry. Or natural sciences, or something else along the lines of that. I love chemistry, but the question is whether I'll enjoy it at uni? Also, I don't really want to work in a lab, so I was thinking of finance. But do financial companies employ people who have science degrees? And I've heard it's extremely competitive to get a job in this sector.

So yeah, those are my options at the moment. Thanks to anyone who can give their views on the matter or answer any of my questions above
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Chemistry.

As said above you only need to choose your a level options now. So I'd say the obvious 5 and then dropping whichever one depending on which career you choose but I'd say chem/natsci is more for you tbh.

Always GEM as well.
chemistryislove
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Out of interest, what did you end up doing? I'm in the exact same position atm
annihilate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Medicine is more enjoyable
username638070
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're only thinking you could possibly find medicine quite interesting, don't do it. It's so competitive as it is and definitely vocational. If you don't have your heart set on medicine, you won't like it. It's six years to finish your degree and then you've still got to do your foundation years - being posted basically anywhere in the country. And the pay isn't great to start with either, with ridiculously long shifts too.

Doing chemistry at uni doesn't mean you have to end up in a lab. Finance companies absolutely love anyone with a physical sciences subject because it shows analytical thinking/problem solving skills/all that stuff. It is difficult to get a job in finance, but it's not impossible. Science will help. Besides, chemistry at uni can lead you anywhere. You can do basically anything you want. If you decide half way through that medicine actually is your calling, you can do a graduate degree in medicine which is 4/5 years and qualify as a doctor.

If you're heart isn't set on medicine, definitely take chemistry/natural sciences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (1)
25%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise