The Student Room Group

Work experience in Medicine

Hi, I'm having serious problems finding a medical environment that will let me do work experience or voluntary work but I'd really like to gain the experience. Can anyone help???

Scroll to see replies

It can be very difficult getting something in medicine itself but consider volunteering at a hospital or care home or similar. Either would be a great experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I know how difficult it is to find the work experience as I'm looking myself but all I can say is keep contacting hospitals and GPs in your area, send emails, ring departments etc.

Many universities say it isn't essential to get work experience as they know how difficult it is but you should definitely get some caring experience in a care home or hospice where you would be a volunteer.

Good luck with finding experience!
Reply 3
Join St Johns?
Reply 4
Original post by Happy_Holidays
It can be very difficult getting something in medicine itself but consider volunteering at a hospital or care home or similar. Either would be a great experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks I've tried all of that though but I guess I shouldn't give up
Reply 5
Original post by DMBP
I know how difficult it is to find the work experience as I'm looking myself but all I can say is keep contacting hospitals and GPs in your area, send emails, ring departments etc.

Many universities say it isn't essential to get work experience as they know how difficult it is but you should definitely get some caring experience in a care home or hospice where you would be a volunteer.

Good luck with finding experience!

Thanks a lot I thought I had to do it to get in to do medicine
Reply 6
Original post by Nissie1
Thanks a lot I thought I had to do it to get in to do medicine

It is not specifically asked for like Dentistry etc. so if you can't find anything don't be put off even though it would be brilliant if you could find something :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DMBP
It is not specifically asked for like Dentistry etc. so if you can't find anything don't be put off even though it would be brilliant if you could find something :smile:

Ok. Does it have to be something long term or a range of short placements in many different environments?
Reply 8
Original post by GodAtum
Join St Johns?

I swear you have to be 18 to do that... I'm only 16
Reply 9
Original post by Nissie1
Ok. Does it have to be something long term or a range of short placements in many different environments?

Again, this isn't specified, but what I've been hearing other people talking about is doing about a couple of hours a week for 6 months at the same place as a more long term commitment. If you look at University websites, some may be more specific but this is a good place to start.
Reply 10
Original post by Nissie1

You can be a cadet: http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/young-people/cadets.aspx
Original post by Nissie1

You can join Saint John from the age of 5. At 16 you would be a cadet but would be allowed to attend an adult unit. There would be a slight restriction on what courses and events you could do though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
You can join Saint John from the age of 5. At 16 you would be a cadet but would be allowed to attend an adult unit. There would be a slight restriction on what courses and events you could do though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what exactly would that envolve?
Reply 13
Original post by DMBP
Again, this isn't specified, but what I've been hearing other people talking about is doing about a couple of hours a week for 6 months at the same place as a more long term commitment. If you look at University websites, some may be more specific but this is a good place to start.

Ok I'm still gonna try find a placement then, thanks for your help
Reply 14
Original post by Nissie1
Ok I'm still gonna try find a placement then, thanks for your help

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by DMBP
You're welcome :smile:

:smile:
Original post by Nissie1
what exactly would that envolve?

Basically it's a first aid organisation. If you join up you get put through basic first aid along with some other things like how to use their radios etc. You can the attend a variety of events to provide first aid. It's good experience of providing basic medical care and, more importantly, communicating with people. Especially when you get situations like a small child who's hurt themselves and is upset etc. you can then develop a bit further. Once your 18 you can start doing more like using AEDs, oxygen and entonox, and work your way onto an ambulance if you wanted. They also accommodation student doctors at large events where you can work in conjunction with a registered doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Nissie1

Your age might be part of the reason so many places have been reluctant to give you voluntary work. Just to give you an idea, it took me more than 6 months of CONSTANTLY writing more emails/letters/harassing people if they didn't get back to me before I finally got something. How exactly are you approaching it? Who are you speaking to? What kinds of places etc?
Reply 18
Basically it's a first aid organisation. If you join up you get put through basic first aid along with some other things like how to use their radios etc. You can the attend a variety of events to provide first aid. It's good experience of providing basic medical care and, more importantly, communicating with people. Especially when you get situations like a small child who's hurt themselves and is upset etc. you can then develop a bit further. Once your 18 you can start doing more like using AEDs, oxygen and entonox, and work your way onto an ambulance if you wanted. They also accommodation student doctors at large events where you can work in conjunction with a registered doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I actually might do that you know
Reply 19
Original post by ElinorH
Your age might be part of the reason so many places have been reluctant to give you voluntary work. Just to give you an idea, it took me more than 6 months of CONSTANTLY writing more emails/letters/harassing people if they didn't get back to me before I finally got something. How exactly are you approaching it? Who are you speaking to? What kinds of places etc?

Well I don't think I'm being as persistent as you were. I don't actually know who to speak to. But I've tried GPs, pharmacies and care homes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending