Thoughts on "Love Britain, Vote UKIP" slogan?

Watch
Burridge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
At their recent conference this week UKIP unveiled their new slogan "Love Britain, Vote UKIP".

The only problem is that is was a BNP slogan during their 2010 campaign.

Bizarre slogan if you ask me, especially since UKIP have been accused on the past of being nothing more than BNP-lite and have received criticism for their links to the far-right (both in terms of membership and party affiliations).

A spokesperson for UKIP appeared on The Daily Politics yesterday and couldn't really justify the use of the phrase - the best she could come up with is that "no party has monopolised the use of the English language".

I can only imagine that UKIP were not aware that the BNP had previously used the slogan.

Thoughts on the situation? Should UKIP abandon the phrase? Is it in their interests to keep it? Will it go down well with the electorate?
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Burridge)
At their recent conference this week UKIP unveiled their new slogan "Vote Britain, Vote UKIP".

Bizarre slogan if you ask me, especially since UKIP have been accused on the past of being nothing more than BNP-lite and have received criticism for their links to the far-right (both in terms of membership and party affiliations).

A spokesperson for UKIP appeared on The Daily Politics yesterday and couldn't really justify the use of the phrase - the best she could come up with is that "no party has monopolised the use of the English language".

I can only imagine that UKIP were not aware that the BNP had previously used the slogan.

Thoughts on the situation? Should UKIP abandon the phrase? Is it in their interests to keep it? Will it go down well with the electorate?
Typo... (See bold).

I don't think it would matter if the BNP had used the same slogan. Personally, i'm more interested in UKIPs policy rather than their advertising.

That being said I think the slogan lacks meaning/significance; any party could go around saying ''Love Britain, Vote *Party Name*''.

Also, when they say ''Britain'', are they referring to the place (it's geography, the services that are available, the standard of living, etc) or the 'British Culture' (the flag, the queen, tea, complaining about the weather, small talk, etc)?
Apocrypha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Party slogans are all pretty dull if you ask me.. 'Vote for Change', 'One Nation' etc etc..

Its just something thats catchy.
Burridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Typo... (See bold).

I don't think it would matter if the BNP had used the same slogan. Personally, i'm more interested in UKIPs policy rather than their advertising.

That being said I think the slogan lacks meaning/significance; any party could go around saying ''Love Britain, Vote *Party Name*''.

Also, when they say ''Britain'', are they referring to the place (it's geography, the services that are available, the standard of living, etc) or the 'British Culture' (the flag, the queen, tea, complaining about the weather, small talk, etc)?
Thank you, hadn't noticed that!

I too am more interested in their policies, but having such a slogan certainly doesn't help the parties image.

And I imagine that they are referring to both the place and the culture e.g they aim to 'protect' Britain from the EU and aim to protect our culture, for example, by introducing a compulsory dress code for taxi drivers - I understand that Farage has abandoned his 2010 manifesto, but he has said that UKIP's next one will be "similar in flavour".
ntman2000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your Point on its copying the BNP slogan is correct but most people are able to distinguish between the two.

I think the problem here is that only the UKIP party will go out on the limb and say they want us to choose, the two other parties have let us slide into being even more closely tied into Europe as the years go by with some information coming out that in the early days there was actually a group actively colluding to sleep walk the UK into Europe before we actually realised it. (no I cannot give my citations but I remember reading this info somewhere on the web but I am busy with assignments at mo - Sorry)

Personally I do not have any real issues with Europe as an idea or as a trading group what concerns me is that I have never seen a list of the benefits (we all hear "we are better off being part of Europe" but HOW ?????) set against the costs and then we could easily see the facts - but no one has done this ! so are we really better off?
Snagprophet
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sure a slogan will not be enough to make them adopt BNP policies.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hardly a surprising slogan for them. I doubt there'll face too much of a backlash with regards to the BNP thing - it'll just make their hardcore voters more devoted and alienate the people who already see them as quasi-racist.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think that's remotely a problem. Only a handful of people could've told you that fact.

It's trite, but no more or less so than any other party's slogans.
Burridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by L i b)
I don't think that's remotely a problem. Only a handful of people could've told you that fact.

It's trite, but no more or less so than any other party's slogans.
In the same way that only a handful of people knew that that the Harriet Harman had links to the Peadophile Information Exchange during the 80s (via NCCL).

It is a problem. It's creates a bit of an image crisis. What makes it worse is that the party has received much criticism in the past for being, at times, a little too extreme. Recycling a slogan previous used by perhaps the most far-right party in Britain really doesn't send out the right message.
tk1993
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A slogan is a slogan, and by definition, relatively meaningless unfortunately.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
While we politicos will no doubt question its merit we must remember that Ukip are not aiming to attract the type of floaters that typically decide elections, they are trying to form a coalition of the apathetic, ex Tories and generally those who value sovereignty and immigration above the traditional middle class voting priority, the economy.
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's pretty meaningless, but all slogans are, so it's whatever really
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
UKIP should have done their research. They'd have never used a former BNP slogan if they had known.
hj.Foster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
UKIP should have done their research. They'd have never used a former BNP slogan if they had known.
I don't think they give two schnitzels, they are a neo-fascist party, why wouldn't they want to take ideas and votes from another neo-fascist party?
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The slogan itself is pretty bland and inoffensive. When I first read it I had no idea that it had been a BNP slogan, or even what any BNP slogans are or have been, for that matter.

It shows that the party bureaucracy is not very competent at playing the political game, but a lot of people don't like the political game. That aspect of UKIP actually has some appeal.

(Original post by SHallowvale)
This is the real problem with the slogan, though it's also true of all other party slogans I can remember off the top of my head. Labour's current slogan has been explicitly copied from the Conservatives!
Burridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
I agree. UKIP will never admit it though.

(Original post by hj.Foster)
I don't think they give two schnitzels, they are a neo-fascist party, why wouldn't they want to take ideas and votes from another neo-fascist party?
I don't support UKIP - in fact, I'm probably their political opposite, but I'd never describe them as that. Do you honestly believe that UKIP are fascist?
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Burridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by thesabbath)
I honestly think that it's a little humiliating for UKIP and Farage. They made a mistake. In hindsight, I guarantee they would not have used that slogan.
Joeman560
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Loving ones country is not a requisite for fascism, no matter what the far left tell you.
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I honestly think that it's a little humiliating for UKIP and Farage. They made a mistake. In hindsight, I guarantee they would not have used that slogan.
They've been called the BNP In Blazers by bien pensant Guardian readers since day one. No one normal cares because its just more of the same sneering far left rubbish that they believe functions as an argument.

One thing is for sure, no one could accuse any of the three old parties of Loving Britain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads