Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
During forced oscillation,
-->Amplitude of oscillation - gradually increase (energy transfer is cumulative), why energy is cumlative, are there any other examples proving that energy is cumulative?

-->At equilibrium,
- rate of energy from driving force = rate of energy dissipated by damping force, so amplitude becomes constant

Actually does damping means friction, and in most cases, is air resistance damping?

thank you!!!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)
During forced oscillation,
-->Amplitude of oscillation - gradually increase (energy transfer is cumulative), why energy is cumlative, are there any other examples proving that energy is cumulative?
Forced oscillation means external energy is continually added to the system at every period. Because of the energy conservation laws, if the added energy is not lost, then the kinetic and potential energy of the system must be increasing. i.e. the incoming energy is stored as an increased amplitude of oscillation.

Think of a child on a swing getting higher and higher at every new push.

(Original post by Lamalam)
-->At equilibrium,
- rate of energy from driving force = rate of energy dissipated by damping force, so amplitude becomes constant

Actually does damping means friction, and in most cases, is air resistance damping?
Precisely. In all cases, air resistance is damping.

Damping is often used (but not exclusively) to describe deliberate and controlled friction losses. i.e. the shock absorbers of a car suspension system uses a viscous fluid to apply controlled damping to the road spring supporting the vehicle (4 of them). Road bumps quickly compress the spring (stored energy) which then releases that energy via the damping fluid and thus it dissipates over a longer time before the spring returns to the rest equilibrium postion. The shock absorber suppresses spring oscillation and dissipates energy in a controlled manner to produce a smooth ride.
Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Forced oscillation means external energy is continually added to the system at every period. Because of the energy conservation laws, if the added energy is not lost, then the kinetic and potential energy of the system must be increasing. i.e. the incoming energy is stored as an increased amplitude of oscillation.

Think of a child on a swing getting higher and higher at every new push.

Precisely. In all cases, air resistance is damping.

Damping is often used (but not exclusively) to describe deliberate and controlled friction losses. i.e. the shock absorbers of a car suspension system uses a viscous fluid to apply controlled damping to the road spring supporting the vehicle (4 of them). Road bumps quickly compress the spring (stored energy) which then releases that energy via the damping fluid and thus it dissipates over a longer time before the spring returns to the rest equilibrium postion. The shock absorber suppresses spring oscillation and dissipates energy in a controlled manner to produce a smooth ride.
thank you very much!! completely understand this !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (67)
19.48%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (74)
21.51%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (63)
18.31%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (71)
20.64%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
9.88%
I haven't started researching yet (35)
10.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise