The Student Room Group

I want to start eating more healthily.

I used to be quite wary of the things I eat, but now I've gotten quite lazy and I can see it affecting my weight.
I've been eating starchy, calorific, fatty foods... cakes, ready meals, biscuits, fizzy drinks, sugary juice drinks, white bread etc.

I find that these are the foods I eat because their cheap and easy to get, whether I buy it from the school canteen at lunchtime or in my local Sainsburys after school. So I was thinking that if I buy some food in bulk and prepare them for school lunchtimes or an after school snack.. then that would work as well teach me about putting together food for myself rather than opt for processed foods all the time. What do you think?

So can anyone give me some tips, suggestions on what the best foods that are high in nutrition etc that would be to help get into shape? Specific Foods to avoid/ look for?

Thanks a lot!
(edited 10 years ago)
First thing's first, replace your white bread with wholemeal bread, so for lunch you could make a wholemeal sandwich with chicken and salad in. Add more fruit to your diet, so with lunch have an apple and bring another piece of fruit for snacks. Another idea for lunch is to make up a salad, and throw in some chicken pieces. Chicken is really expensive to buy pre-cooked and sliced, so what I do is buy frozen chicken in bulk. Defrost a couple, season with a tiny bit of salt and pepper then grill them. Let them cool down then slice them to add to your sandwich or salad. Other snacks could be carrot, pepper, cucumber, celery sticks and hummus (an acquired taste I admit, I use to hate the stuff but lately I'm trying to eat healthy and the low fat version ain't tooooo bad). Yogurt is also healthy and good for you if you get the low fat greek version. Add berries for a variety. For dinner, try incorporating lots of veggies, so maybe add two or three to the side. Or even a dinner with a side salad.

I hope this helps a little, it's what I'm trying to do and it is difficult but it is becoming easier. It's all about making the right choices.

Oh also if you want to do all this on the cheap definitely go to you local Aldi store if you have one close by. Their fruit and veg is ridiculously cheap and every two weeks that have a different super 6 that are cheaper then normal.

Again I hope this helps a tad :smile: Good luck, you're attempting to do an awesome thing.
Reply 2
Original post by Emerald Lies
First thing's first, replace your white bread with wholemeal bread, so for lunch you could make a wholemeal sandwich with chicken and salad in. Add more fruit to your diet, so with lunch have an apple and bring another piece of fruit for snacks. Another idea for lunch is to make up a salad, and throw in some chicken pieces. Chicken is really expensive to buy pre-cooked and sliced, so what I do is buy frozen chicken in bulk. Defrost a couple, season with a tiny bit of salt and pepper then grill them. Let them cool down then slice them to add to your sandwich or salad. Other snacks could be carrot, pepper, cucumber, celery sticks and hummus (an acquired taste I admit, I use to hate the stuff but lately I'm trying to eat healthy and the low fat version ain't tooooo bad). Yogurt is also healthy and good for you if you get the low fat greek version. Add berries for a variety. For dinner, try incorporating lots of veggies, so maybe add two or three to the side. Or even a dinner with a side salad.

I hope this helps a little, it's what I'm trying to do and it is difficult but it is becoming easier. It's all about making the right choices.

Oh also if you want to do all this on the cheap definitely go to you local Aldi store if you have one close by. Their fruit and veg is ridiculously cheap and every two weeks that have a different super 6 that are cheaper then normal.

Again I hope this helps a tad :smile: Good luck, you're attempting to do an awesome thing.

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! I will definitely try these! All the best with your healthy eating regime too lool! :jumphug:
Original post by zedaa
I used to be quite wary of the things I eat, but now I've gotten quite lazy and I can see it affecting my weight.
I've been eating starchy, calorific, fatty foods... cakes, ready meals, biscuits, fizzy drinks, sugary juice drinks, white bread etc.

I find that these are the foods I eat because their cheap and easy to get, whether I buy it from the school canteen at lunchtime or in my local Sainsburys after school. So I was thinking that if I buy some food in bulk and prepare them for school lunchtimes or an after school snack.. then that would work as well teach me about putting together food for myself rather than opt for processed foods all the time. What do you think?

So can anyone give me some tips, suggestions on what the best foods that are high in nutrition etc that would be to help get into shape? Specific Foods to avoid/ look for?

Thanks a lot!

Sugar is highly addictive and it sounds like that's your problem, I think you should start making up meals in advance, things like egg fried rice, rice dishes or pasta that will fill you up would be a good start I'd say. Otherwise you'll be tempted to buy a snack.

My other advice would be aim to eat 3 piece of fruit a day, you can smoothie fruit with milk to get in in quickly. If you do this it will help ease sugar cravings and you will probably find you transfer the cravings onto fruit which is much better! If you do feel tempted to snack have a large drink of water and perhaps allow yourself a piece of toast or something, that way you've made it healthier and eventually perhaps can wean off altogether.

Fab meals are stir drys, so may variations and you can make them like 90% vegetables- delicious! Rice or noodles can accompany and leftovers can go in tortillas
Original post by zedaa
Oh my goodness, thank you so much! I will definitely try these! All the best with your healthy eating regime too lool! :jumphug:

You're welcome :smile: Good luck with yours! You can do it! Remember to treat yourself every now and then or you'll go stir crazy!

Quick Reply

Latest