The Student Room Group

University opinion on YR12 retake with Ex. Circumstances?

In June of 2012, a tragic family event occurred. Without explicitly stating on here what is was it deeply affected me. This happened one month before the start of my GCSE examinations, and once year 12 started, the depression really started to take its toll on me. At the start I thought I would be able to put the event behind me and start again and thus everything was fine for Sept. But only one month later, these feelings came back and continued. I'm not lazy I'm a hard working student but this is something which completely took control of the direction of year 12.
As a result anyway, I came out with CEUE.

It was my intention to applying to a top 5 university/Cam/Durham/etc
I'm on route this year for 4As at AS level. I'm also considering re-taking some GCSEs.

Can someone please tell me how much universities will take this into consideration if backed up by doctors/etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
If its back up by doctors then they'll take it seriously and they'll take it into account when they consider you. I have mental health problems and sometimes I spend weeks where I become behind on work, I did terrible on my GCSE's (didn't get a single A) I then took AS and got one B and the rest were U's, I'm now in my third year of college and applying to uni for Sep 2014 entry. I know our situations are different but each university has been very considerate and understanding with me and it sounds like you've been through a lot and that its taken its toll on you, so I think that when explained to the uni's you intend on applying to that they will treat you with the same understanding they've done with me.

edit: my predicted grades are AAAB so like you I brought myself back up after my GCSE's and a bad first try at AS and I re-took my maths GCSE last year as I needed it this year to apply for physics at uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I got BDUU in AS with no real reason behind it, I then retook and got AABC, predicted AAAB in my A2.

It's not caused me an issue, got offers from Nottingham, Liverpool, Cardiff and waiting on two more (come on Edinburgh!). These offers aren't quite Durham and Cambridge, but with a good reason behind your retake, I think you'll be fine!!
Your referee should include this info in your reference, so that they are aware of your situation.

You might also be interested in the Cambridge Special Access Scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You'll have no problems your app will be treated the same as everyone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I'm sure you are aware, top universities aren't keen on repeated years without extenuating circumstances. It will probably depend on the details of your circumstances how much leniency they will give you. Make sure your referee explains the situation fully in your reference. Unfortunately, you will probably have to discuss this fully with them before they submit your reference if they are not already aware of the full circumstances. Just because they accept your mitigating circumstances does not neccessarily mean they will give you an offer- many excellent applicants get rejected every year.

If you manage to achieve AAAA at AS, this will work in your favour.

It may be worth considering 1-2 slighly less competitive universities on you application, especially if you are applying for a very competitive/popular subject like law. Applying to 5 high risk universities is always more likely to result in rejections regardless of circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest