The Student Room Group

What is an access to higher education course?

From what I understand, an access course is an opportunity for people who do not have the required grades to get into university. Am I correct?

Due to medical issues, I failed my GCSE science, which is required for primary school teaching, what I want to do. If I took an access to teaching course, would this mean that I could get onto a PGCE course without science?

Another thing, can you do an access course alongside an undergraduate degree, so for example if I took a degree that did not require GCSE science, could I take the degree which would then hopefully qualify me for the PGCE, which does require science?

One more thing! Does it have to be specifically an access to teaching degree? Could I do an access to social science degree for example?

I hope this makes sense and thank you in advance!
Rebecca :smile:
Access courses are designed for older applicants applying for University who have either been out of formal education for many years and don't have A level or equivalent qualifications. They are not 'top-up' courses for people without the correct GCSEs for teaching.

If you are considering a PGCE course I am assuming you are already doing a degree - if not, then PGCE is not appropriate as its a one year intensive teaching course for graduates. If you are a school leaver wanting to go into teaching then you need to get that GCSE qualification, which you could do that alongside your A levels. If you are a graduate wanting to do a PGCE then clearly an Access course is totally inappropriate - contact the relevant Uni(s) and ask if it is worth you now doing GCSE science as a private candidate for admission for PGCE.

Quick Reply

Latest