harrysdimple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have a controlled assessment on the way language is used to present the themes of hopes/dreams in of mice and men. I'm currently writing a draft essay however I am unsure of how to introduce my essay and how to analyse the language when it comes to Candy's dream. I am predicted an a* however language and analysis are definitely not my strong points so please help!!
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
George shoots Lennie
ChowSultan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by harrysdimple)
I have a controlled assessment on the way language is used to present the themes of hopes/dreams in of mice and men. I'm currently writing a draft essay however I am unsure of how to introduce my essay and how to analyse the language when it comes to Candy's dream. I am predicted an a* however language and analysis are definitely not my strong points so please help!!
I am also doing Of Mice and Men, and my end of year target grade for English is a B, however I have good knowledge on Of Mice and Men.

The Introduction.

To introduce the essay you can talk about the context of the novella.
You could talk about Steinbeck's life a little and why he based the book on hopes and dreams. John Steinbeck was born into one of the wealthy families during The Great Depression and the The Dust Bowl. Steinbeck was interested in the life's of ranch hands and farm men, so he often worked with them and indulged into their private life's to find out more about a ranch hands lifestyle. He has based many of his work on ranch hands and The Great Depression therefore he has in depth knowledge on the subject. Hopes and dreams were a common pattern throughout Steinbeck's findings of the ranch hands. In Of Mice and Men, hopes and dreams are the main themes, however none of the characters dreams are fulfilled. Candy later on adopts George and Lennie's dream of owning their own farm one day, and he is seduced by the idea, so much that he is willing to donate his money towards the dream, which is short lived. As all the other dreams, Candy's dream is broken after Lennie is shot dead by George. Steinbeck uses a wide variety of devices to portray the messages and ideas in the novel.

Analyzing the language.

This part is mainly you. Think about the language and how it influences your view. Steinbeck plays the narrator in the novel, it is a narrative book. He communicates through the descriptions of the surroundings and setting effects. The indication of light and darkness suggests loneliness and brutality. The life of a ranch hand is brutal, and very lonely and solitary. This is shown by the popular game solitaire which they play, which only requires one player, therefore it also indicates solitary.

You should really ask your teacher to help you. I hope I helped.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (104)
5.14%
Uncertainty around my education (304)
15.01%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (215)
10.62%
Lack of purpose or motivation (282)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (91)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.63%
Loneliness (175)
8.64%
Financial worries (74)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (89)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (96)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (111)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (179)
8.84%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (191)
9.43%

Watched Threads