The Student Room Group

Opinions on child leashes.

So I've heard a lot of people complain about parents treating their kids like dogs and how it's disgusting etc. but I really don't see the problem?
It's better than keeping your kid in a pram or carrying them if they want to walk around. And if you're holding their hand constantly then it's not really allowing them much space to do it. Not to mention that having your kid run off around streets and such is not a pleasant idea.
I'd agree that when I see them on some older kids it's ridiculous and restrictive. But when they're at the age when they're just starting to want to walk around on their own I think they're fine.

I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on this. Obviously I've never had to care for a child myself so I'm open to changing my opinion.
??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't really see a problem with it, as long as it's used responsibly. When I was a kid I used to have a little backpack with a leash attached, so it didnt even feel like I was leashed.
It makes more sense than letting little children run free.
I think they are a bit wierd, but if they are needed then it's not too bad.

I had one when I was younger, but that was mainly because I was a little prone to just wondering off to go look at a butterfly or something equally stupid, I once got lost for 25 minutes in a vineyard chasing some geese...
Reply 3
Don't see the problem, it can give the children the confidence to learn how to walk, but the parents are holding a lead to make sure they're ok.

Dogs shouldn't be treated badly anyway.
Original post by Mini-Me
I don't really see a problem with it, as long as it's used responsibly. When I was a kid I used to have a little backpack with a leash attached, so it didnt even feel like I was leashed.
It makes more sense than letting little children run free.

That's even worse, you had to constantly wear a backpack when you went out?
Reply 5
Original post by King Leonidas

No I didn't constantly wear it, and it was only pretty tiny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think as long as the kids aren't too old (as someone said) it's perfectly fine. it can be vital sometimes, like when my mum was travelling across the Atlantic with me and my two younger siblings who were four and six years old at the time -- if she hadn't had leashes on them there's no telling where they would have run off, and it would have been impossible for her to hold on to two young children + the luggage of four people without extra help.
For very young kids, I don't see anything wrong with it at all!
Many parents actually wanted pets but sadly ended up with children. In some cases this can lead to denial, with parents walking their children as they would a dog or large rabbit.
Reply 9
Glad to see everyone else seems to think it's fine.
People were making out like I was horrible for saying it. :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by King Leonidas

So do you think it's wrong then?
Reply 11
It's something to laugh at in the street, so i'm a fan.
Sometimes it's absolutely necessary. Far better than a child wandering off, being kidnapped or hit by a car.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Sometimes it's absolutely necessary. Far better than a child wandering off, being kidnapped or hit by a car.

Agreed :yep:

Although it might look odd, they are very practical especially since young children have the tendency to want to run everywhere when they first start walking :tongue:
Original post by lecornergirl
I think as long as the kids aren't too old (as someone said) it's perfectly fine. it can be vital sometimes, like when my mum was travelling across the Atlantic with me and my two younger siblings who were four and six years old at the time -- if she hadn't had leashes on them there's no telling where they would have run off, and it would have been impossible for her to hold on to two young children + the luggage of four people without extra help.

Gonna be honest here I think 4 and 6 are too old. I have two boys who are 4 and 6 and I would definitely definitely not use a leash on them. They are quite capable of walking sensibly next to me.
For a 2 year old, yes definitely, but 4 and 6?
My 6 year old is in Year 2 at school. You really don't think that's too old for a leash?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Gonna be honest here I think 4 and 6 are too old. I have two boys who are 4 and 6 and I would definitely definitely not use a leash on them. They are quite capable of walking sensibly next to me.
For a 2 year old, yes definitely, but 4 and 6?
My 6 year old is in Year 2 at school. You really don't think that's too old for a leash?

in a general context, yeah -- but at heathrow airport when you have three children and four bags to look after with just the one pair of eyes and hands, i think it's the safer option by far. plus, we made the same trip annually (we were living abroad at the time) so she'd been doing it since the older one started to walk. it was equal parts habit and security by the point i mentioned, as well as the security generated by habit :tongue:

but yeah, i don't remember her using the leashes much outside of airports regardless of my siblings' age.
Reply 16

6?!? That is definitely too old imo. I have friends that use them on toddlers and I think that's normal. Toddlers like to run off any old way possible. If my 6 year old was so badly behaved that they needed reigns to stop them running off, I think I'd be too embarrassed to leave the house...
Original post by alibee
6?!? That is definitely too old imo. I have friends that use them on toddlers and I think that's normal. Toddlers like to run off any old way possible. If my 6 year old was so badly behaved that they needed reigns to stop them running off, I think I'd be too embarrassed to leave the house...

-->

in a general context, yeah -- but at heathrow airport when you have three children and four bags to look after with just the one pair of eyes and hands, i think it's the safer option by far. plus, we made the same trip annually (we were living abroad at the time) so she'd been doing it since the older one started to walk. it was equal parts habit and security by the point i mentioned, as well as the security generated by habit :tongue:

but yeah, i don't remember her using the leashes much outside of airports regardless of my siblings' age.
Reply 18
I am a mum of 5 so an authority on everything about parenting (:wink:). 4 and 6 is too old. There is a time and place to allow your teeny tot to run about freely. That is the park. Not the highstreet. Reins or wrist straps are preferable to squashed or lost toddlers imo.
Reply 19
No I'm sorry, I still think 6 is a ridiculous age for reigns.

Quick Reply