The Student Room Group

Learning with a parent vs with an instructor

Poll

do you prefer learning with a parent or an instructor?

I was wondering, which do you think is better? because I've seen quite a few people in this subforum say instructors are better, but then I've heard that people who learn with a parent are more likely to pass their test on their first try because they get more opportunities to drive and are thus more confident behind the wheel.
so, opinions?
Reply 1
Original post by lecornergirl
I was wondering, which do you think is better? because I've seen quite a few people in this subforum say instructors are better, but then I've heard that people who learn with a parent are more likely to pass their test on their first try because they get more opportunities to drive and are thus more confident behind the wheel.
so, opinions?

Why not both?

Your parents won't have recently passed their test and so might not be able to tell you things that a professional instructor can.

An instructor can give you the correct information and properly structured lessons, then you can take what you have learnt and practice it with your parents.

Make things easy for yourself and have the best of both worlds.
Reply 2
Original post by ryan9900
Why not both?

Your parents won't have recently passed their test and so might not be able to tell you things that a professional instructor can.

An instructor can give you the correct information and properly structured lessons, then you can take what you have learnt and practice it with your parents.

Make things easy for yourself and have the best of both worlds.

idk how it works in the UK exactly, but here in Finland if you want to teach your child to drive you have to take a theory test and get a teaching license, which means you'll be up to date on everything :smile: personally, i'm learning with my dad, and it's going really well so far. it might also be different for different people :tongue: but based on what i've heard from friends, those learning with parents get a lot more one-on-one time and practice than those going to driving school.
Reply 3
How much is getting insured on a parents car for learning vs paying say £20 per lesson.

Literally have no idea but this could work out a far cheaper option and with a vast amount more practice time.
Reply 4
idk how it works in the UK exactly, but here in Finland if you want to teach your child to drive you have to take a theory test and get a teaching license, which means you'll be up to date on everything :smile: personally, i'm learning with my dad, and it's going really well so far. it might also be different for different people :tongue: but based on what i've heard from friends, those learning with parents get a lot more one-on-one time and practice than those going to driving school.

I didn't know you were from Finland but that sounds cool! Do which ever way you feel comfortable with and it sounds like you're getting on good learning with your dad so just do that! :smile:

Best of luck and I really envy you living and learning to drive in Finland, looks like a beautiful country to be able to explore!
Reply 5
I didn't know you were from Finland but that sounds cool! Do which ever way you feel comfortable with and it sounds like you're getting on good learning with your dad so just do that! :smile:

Best of luck and I really envy you living and learning to drive in Finland, looks like a beautiful country to be able to explore!

well I mean it does say so right under my name but whatever :tongue:

funny story, I'm quite looking forward to leaving Finland for uni and coming to the UK... I guess it's one of those grass is greener things. it is quite a good place to learn how to drive though, I live right outside the capital in the second-biggest city but there are still a bunch of back roads ideal for practising on the first few times located really close :tongue: I'm just a little worried about having to learn to drive on the 'wrong side' at some point, since I intend to stay in the UK for as long as possible :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by EasyReppin
How much is getting insured on a parents car for learning vs paying say £20 per lesson.

Literally have no idea but this could work out a far cheaper option and with a vast amount more practice time.

again, I don't know how the whole UK system works but here it works out a lot cheaper to learn with parents than go to driving school :tongue:
again, I don't know how the whole UK system works but here it works out a lot cheaper to learn with parents than go to driving school :tongue:

Yeah learn with parents then :tongue:
Reply 8
well I mean it does say so right under my name but whatever :tongue:

funny story, I'm quite looking forward to leaving Finland for uni and coming to the UK... I guess it's one of those grass is greener things. it is quite a good place to learn how to drive though, I live right outside the capital in the second-biggest city but there are still a bunch of back roads ideal for practising on the first few times located really close :tongue: I'm just a little worried about having to learn to drive on the 'wrong side' at some point, since I intend to stay in the UK for as long as possible :biggrin:

Haha yeah sorry, I don't tend to look at peoples' names or locations.

Sounds really good though! haha yeah I've always thought driving on the opposite side to what you're used to must be really weird, but probably quite easy to pick up. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the UK and couldn't recommend it enough but there are more visually appealing countries in the World, one of them being Finland!
Reply 9
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah learn with parents then :tongue:

I already am, I was just wondering about other people's preferences :tongue:
Reply 10
Haha yeah sorry, I don't tend to look at peoples' names or locations.

Sounds really good though! haha yeah I've always thought driving on the opposite side to what you're used to must be really weird, but probably quite easy to pick up. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the UK and couldn't recommend it enough but there are more visually appealing countries in the World, one of them being Finland!

visually appealing only gets you so far though :tongue: i would much rather live in a perhaps less appealing but still anglophone country well-known throughout the world than have to explain "yeah it's between russia and sweden" every time i introduce myself :biggrin:
Reply 11
visually appealing only gets you so far though :tongue: i would much rather live in a perhaps less appealing but still anglophone country well-known throughout the world than have to explain "yeah it's between russia and sweden" every time i introduce myself :biggrin:

Hahaha that's funny but also true I guess. I think it's just a place I'd like to see in the near future. Along with places like Norway and anywhere else like that. You'll love the UK though, plenty to do and see here :smile:
Reply 12
Hahaha that's funny but also true I guess. I think it's just a place I'd like to see in the near future. Along with places like Norway and anywhere else like that. You'll love the UK though, plenty to do and see here :smile:

I hope so! I'm starting uni in september (assuming I meet my offer but let's not talk about that) and I'm counting the days :biggrin:
Reply 13
I hope so! I'm starting uni in september (assuming I meet my offer but let's not talk about that) and I'm counting the days :biggrin:

Best of luck, sure you will do fine! :biggrin:
Learnt with an instructor for 2 hours a week plus 3 hours practice in my own car (with mum or dad obviously). Being with my instructor was better because he didn't shout like my dad, or sit there in the car whimpering like my mum. After a while I just stopped listening to my dad (he used to tell me idiotic things like, if there's an idiot behind you on a country road revving his engine, desperate to overtake, you should slow down to piss him off... erm no!)... & he used to yell 'you stupid pathetic girl' if I did a slight thing wrong... & I ignored my mum. She was only scared for a few weeks though & when she saw how quickly I improved she used to get me (with dad in the car) to take her places etc... all more driving practice for me. Didn't take me long to pass, just over 4 months.

The ironic thing is my dad used to criticize my driving, but the day I passed he let me drive him to Lancaster which is about 30 miles away from where I live... in rush hour... & he didn't say anything bad about my driving once! I'm actually a bit concerned about my dads' driving tbh, don't get in a car when he's driving anymore!

I think it would have been okay for me if my dad hadn't been so nasty to me.
Reply 15
Both is best usually. You pick up good habits from your instructor and get in practice with your parents. I'm old enough and have been driving long enough now that I can start teaching my girlfriend how to drive when we get some free time in the Summer. That's going to be nerve wracking, and if it's anything like us playing video games together, there will be a lot of shouting :biggrin:
you're Finn

you're born to drive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending