statsman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello all,

I have made some research about the MBA/DBA programs and about Middlesex University on the internet. As fas as I understand from what I read at different sources, the perception of the University's reputation vary. In general, it seems to be far from "excellent" but it seems not to be "terrible". The University is included in the league tables such as those prepared by QS, The Guardian and Times and stands somewhere within the 3rd or 4th quarters. It has a favourable QAA evaluation, but no professional accreditation other than that i.e. nothing sort of AACSB or AMBA. However, it seems to have a broad experience and national/international recognition when it comes to work-based learning and graduate level professional programs.

Now, I would be happy to hear any opinion about an MBA or DBA at this school, especially from current students or alumni, if there are any members here.

Regards,
sj27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't see the point of doing a non-accredited MBA from a university hardly anyone has heard of.
ParetoOptimum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sj27)
I don't see the point of doing a non-accredited MBA from a university hardly anyone has heard of.
This, unfortunately. An MBA, with its high tuition costs and high opportunity costs (1/2 years forgone earnings, work experience/promotion) isn't really worth it unless you're on a top-tier programme.
ParetoOptimum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
it seems to be far from "excellent" but it seems not to be "terrible".
This should tell you everything you need to know.
statsman
Rep:
?
sj27 and ParetoOptimum, thanks for the replies so far. Well, the point is "cost and benefit".
I am somewhat confused about to what extent is the professional accreditation important for the UK universities.
- Take AACSB for example: As opposed to the US, only few (21 out of hundreds) UK business schools are AACSB accredited and among the unaccredited are some schools with good/decent reputations and rankings such as Heriot Watt, Exeter, St. Andrews, Chester, etc. Would you think the same way for Heriott Watt, for example?
- Second point is, I can see profiles of many graduates of some non-AACSB accredited business schools -including Middlesex- at some good positions both in academia and professional life.

Basically the above two points were my reasons that made me take into consideration a UK business school with no professional accreditation along with accredited alternatives. I am trying to evaluate cost & benefit, since AACSB accredited schools are generally more costly and not every program structure fits to my schedule and research interests.

Regards,
sj27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A friend of mine did the Heriot Watt MBA. She says it was a waste of time and money. Chester is hardly a target uni. St Andrews is very well known in a number of programs, but it's not exactly a top MBA either.

There are zillions of MBA programs around the world and one of the only ways employers can differentiate among them, unless they come from top schools where everyone knows the name, is accreditation. Yes, better universities cost more. That is a sad fact of life. I'm sure you will manage to find graduates of any university somewhere, but the more important question for you might be where the majority of graduates on the course you want to do, ended up. And you need to go beyond university marketing materials for that. Have you done a LinkedIn search on the course?

If cost is such a factor, it may be worth working a while longer to afford somewhere better. Or better yet, get your employer to sponsor you through one, that way you know at least that they think it's worth it. What is your background? (Years of work experience, UK or international student?)
statsman
Rep:
?
Well, I have already searched Linkedin for this. Actulally I am talking about Linkedin mostly when I mention the graduate profiles.

I will be an international student with 10+ years of work experience. My primary focus will be on a DBA rather than MBA, however I welcome comments about MBA programs as well since that will also give an idea about the business school in general.
sj27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm. Have you looked into Liverpool's DBA program? It's online so it should be pretty flexible. No idea about the structure of the program though. And it is a much better known university, but I have no particular knowledge of its business school strengths. Durham also has a part-time DBA program, but again I have no particular knowledge beyond the fact that it does, and also a much better regarded uni.
statsman
Rep:
?
Yes, Liverpool seems to have a very good DBA program with optional residencies. However, it is way too expensive The program cost is around 2 times that of even some other AASCSB accredited schools.

Another university that seems suitable for me is Strathclyde. It seems to have a good reputation and holds triple accreditation. What do you think?
sj27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have seen people say Strathclyde has a decent business school, would probably be worth investigating further.
statsman
Rep:
?
Thank you, I continue reading about Strathclyde as well.

Any other opinion on Middlesex University Business School MBA/DBA? Anyone who is a student or alumni?
statsman
Rep:
?
Latest updates... Opinions vary. I have found this a while ago:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2134084

As for the "professional accreditation" issue, it is another topic of discussion on itself. In a nutshell; based on my extensive reading on this, opinions of a few knowledgeable people I got in touch with, and my professional experience so far, I can say that it seems to be "one factor" to be considered "along with other important factors" and although still "one of several factors", seems to have a relatively higher weight as a factor for the US business schools when compared to schools in the other parts of the world.

As of now, my consideration continues for both Middlesex and Strathclyde.

Regards,
statsman
Rep:
?
Here comes the latest QS Global 200 Business Schools report for 2014/2015.

http://www.topmba.com/why-mba/public...-report-201415

Middlesex has made it to this list, being included among the top 65 in Europe, 26 of which is from the UK. Entering from near the lower end though, however still it is the "lower end of top 65" in Europe. Considering there are thousands of business schools around, this seems quite fine.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Accreditation might only be "one factor" for you, but it was one of the most important for me when I chose my MBA. Unaccredited degrees have no credibility in the industries I've worked in (army then oil and gas).

In the UK you're usually looking for AMBA rather than AACSB.

In my experience it's rare for a DBA not to have an MBA first.

If you're looking for a cheaper course that's fine, just be aware that they are more likely to be perceived as weaker.
sj27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Accreditation might only be "one factor" for you, but it was one of the most important for me when I chose my MBA. Unaccredited degrees have no credibility in the industries I've worked in (army then oil and gas).

In the UK you're usually looking for AMBA rather than AACSB.

In my experience it's rare for a DBA not to have an MBA first.

If you're looking for a cheaper course that's fine, just be aware that they are more likely to be perceived as weaker.
It seems clear that low fees and possibly lower entry standards are the main 'factors' here, with previous advice having been completely ignored :dontknow:
statsman
Rep:
?
I respect your views, however I have found some contacts online and even met some others in person, all with business degrees from or continuing studies at some UK schools which do not have AMBA or any other professional (not compulsory) accreditation and the fact that these people hold managerial roles at some major global companies in the industries like finance, energy, logistics, etc. provides some real-life counter-evidence. Information and experience from "inside" is also a factor that I take seriously.
sj27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, you seem not to realise that some of the advice here also comes from experience inside major global companies, but whatever, I can surely spot confirmation bias at a thousand paces. Good luck, I hope you find it worth it. It would be far more worth it having a company sponsor you, as most MBAs are oniy worth it when paid by someone else.
statsman
Rep:
?
Thank you. Well, to be honest, my focus is on the DBA and it does not really matter much for me in terms of finding sponsors for or placement after the programme. This is because I already hold a mid-level managerial position and good-looking prospects at a global company, and have a relevant quantitative discipline masters degree as well (not an MBA, but a MSc in a quantitative discipline). The reason I want to do a DBA is to do a quality research, blending professional knowledge and experience with academic study, for self-satisfaction mostly. As for the career impact, I am confident that it will be a plus provided that I come up with a solid, quality research output. (P.S. UK DBAs do require a masters degree, but I have not seen any of them with a strict emphasis on a previous "MBA only".)
statsman
Rep:
?
...and, just to go back to the QS Global 200, which is mainly based on employer views, there are 26 schools from the UK (and a total of 65 from Europe) in that list.

Middlesex is in it, and some of those with professional accreditation, are not. This supports my view that those accreditation acronyms are also the factors to be considered, bu not alone, and this applies to any other criterion as well, also including the various rankings.
sj27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like I said, good luck with it, hope it's worthwhile.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (704)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.48%

Watched Threads