The Student Room Group

6th Form Colleges- Hills Road vs Perse School

Which 6th form college is better? Please could you include some pros and cons of both schools so I make a decision as to which one I should aim to go to.
I don't know very much about the Perse but I did see this link a while ago, which was the Telegraphs's view on it:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/3288197/Town-vs-Gown-The-Perse-School-and-Hills-Road-Sixth-Form-College-in-Cambridge.html
Hill's road > Perse.
Perse by a country mile...
I'm not familiar with Perse so I can't really do a comparison, but make sure you try and get a feel for both places since you may feel like 'hey, I like this place more'

I'm fairly certain Hills Road is the closest to the train station if you have to travel into the city, it's also close to the leisure park or centre where there's quite a few places to get food from. There's about 2000 students give or take, so that's a lot of people. As someone taking STEM subjects my classes have around 20-25 ish people in them too.

OH! ONE THING I MUST MENTION! THERE'S A THING CALLED THE EPQ WHICH IS COMPULSORY UNLESS THERE'S AN EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCE OR SOMETHING.

Basically the EPQ is an independent project that you do over the course of a year (or shorter if you have your stuff together) aanndd... people have a love/hate relationship with it. I guess some more pros is that I believe we're pretty organised so that helps, and there's quite a lot of online resources too.

I think we've been fairly good on the online learning too since they teach us on Microsoft Teams and gave us booklets with the work we should know and be doing.

hope this helps?
Original post by ApplePiePanda
I'm not familiar with Perse so I can't really do a comparison, but make sure you try and get a feel for both places since you may feel like 'hey, I like this place more'

I'm fairly certain Hills Road is the closest to the train station if you have to travel into the city, it's also close to the leisure park or centre where there's quite a few places to get food from. There's about 2000 students give or take, so that's a lot of people. As someone taking STEM subjects my classes have around 20-25 ish people in them too.

OH! ONE THING I MUST MENTION! THERE'S A THING CALLED THE EPQ WHICH IS COMPULSORY UNLESS THERE'S AN EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCE OR SOMETHING.

Basically the EPQ is an independent project that you do over the course of a year (or shorter if you have your stuff together) aanndd... people have a love/hate relationship with it. I guess some more pros is that I believe we're pretty organised so that helps, and there's quite a lot of online resources too.

I think we've been fairly good on the online learning too since they teach us on Microsoft Teams and gave us booklets with the work we should know and be doing.

hope this helps?

hi there. I'm considering going to hills road but I really don't want to if you have to do the EPQ. Do you know if it is compulsory to do the EPQ if you take 4 a levels
EPQ is compulsory regardless (big sigh). I started sixth form doing 4 a levels too, but it was pretty tough to keep up so I dropped to 3. Just as a curiosity, what subjects are you wanting to do?

I started sixth form doing double maths, chemistry and biology, but I dropped double maths for single.

You have proper lessons for the EPQ (though I believe they've been moved online) so you get some ideas for what to do, and it's really important you motivate yourself when you do have to do the EPQ.

Honestly, the EPQ was the bane of my existence for year 12, but now that it's out of the way it's a little better now. If you're organised enough it shouldn't be too much of a problem, don't be like me, I didn't stay very organised for the EPQ

sorry if I went off topic

Quick Reply

Latest