Homosexual BBC drama boss demands BBC promotes even more homosexual storylines

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
"Mr Stephenson said: 'I am diverse, in that sense (gay), and are there many portrayals of gay characters on television? I would say it's probably one of the lowest (represented) areas.

'When the great gay script comes in, I shall definitely be commissioning it.'

Despite Mr Stephenson believing there is diversity in BBC drama he said there is still 'a long way to go'. "

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...t-9158341.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...torylines.html

The BBC needs to be de-funded. It has become nothing more than a propaganda channel for politically correct homosexual anti-white communists to foist their multicultural identity politics on the nation.

Also from today: "Match Of The Day panel is 'too white' and needs to become more diverse, BBC says"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-BBC-says.html

I wonder what Mr Cohen would have to say if someone dared to suggest the BBC had too many Jews.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
To be fair, there aren't that many gay characters in BBC shows?
Pride
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
This thread makes no sense... What exactly do you want to discuss...? What's the question?
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I read a great article today on gay characters in games, and this thread reminded me of it.

"You can write it off as “political correctness” if you wish, but the truth is that privilege always lies with the majority. They’re so used to being catered to that they see the lack of catering as an imbalance. They don’t see anything wrong with having things set up to suit them, what’s everyone’s fuss all about? That’s the way it should be, any everyone else should be used to not getting what they want."

http://www.nomorelost.org/2011/03/25...ref_map=%5B%5D

It's very much applicable to this. To me, this isn't a bad thing and I wouldn't want to see the BBC defunded, nor think it should be. I welcome more racial and LGBT representation.
thesabbath
Rep:
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Should a noisy minority be able to dictate, having often achieved their positions through mandatory "diversity" quotas, that the national broadcaster should increase its focus on their personal identity politics issues?

Have the general public expressed a desire to see even more homosexual storylines and characters on TV or does this homosexual simply want to use his position to rub his sexual predilections in their faces?

In other words, why is this tolerated from a public body which receives over £3 billion of taxpayers money every year? Homosexual activity plays no useful role in society so why promote it? It is social engineering writ large.
thesabbath
Rep:
(Original post by KJane)
I read a great article today on gay characters in games, and this thread reminded me of it.

"You can write it off as “political correctness” if you wish, but the truth is that privilege always lies with the majority. They’re so used to being catered to that they see the lack of catering as an imbalance. They don’t see anything wrong with having things set up to suit them, what’s everyone’s fuss all about? That’s the way it should be, any everyone else should be used to not getting what they want."

http://www.nomorelost.org/2011/03/25...ref_map=%5B%5D

It's very much applicable to this. To me, this isn't a bad thing and I wouldn't want to see the BBC defunded, nor think it should be. I welcome more racial and LGBT representation.
If video games manufacturers want to cater to homosexuals that is their choice, as the public can then decide if they want to give them their money. Funding the BBC's social engineering agenda is not optional if you want to watch live TV within the law.
tsr1269
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
People watch TV shows because they are great, not because they are "representative"...
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Gay people are a minority though, so why should their be more gay people on TV?

Should a TV show have 100 characters in it, just so there can be a white person, a black person, an asian person, two gay people (male and female), a bisexual person, an asexual person, etc..

That's not reality. I hate in-your-face gay people.

"Oh look at me, I'm gay, so I should stand out, but don't judge me because I'm different"

This guy reminds me of the gay guy off Little Britain
Arkasia
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The number of LGBT people is between 1.5-6% based on which reports you follow, so between 1-6 in every 100 characters should be LGBT for them to be properly represented. If we look at current TV shows, I would say that one could easily find that number, therefore I do not see a problem in the current programs, and current system.
Silver Arrows
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
People need to grow up. No one is including/excluding them because of their race/gender/sexuality. Most of the time they're just pissed because their is someone better than them at their job.
shadowdweller
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BenAssirati)
The number of LGBT people is between 1.5-6% based on which reports you follow, so between 1-6 in every 100 characters should be LGBT for them to be properly represented. If we look at current TV shows, I would say that one could easily find that number, therefore I do not see a problem in the current programs, and current system.
I think Stonewall actually researched the topic. I'll try and find the report at some point; fairly sure the percentage was lower than 5% of characters though.
KJane
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thesabbath)
If video games manufacturers want to cater to homosexuals that is their choice, as the public can then decide if they want to give them their money. Funding the BBC's social engineering agenda is not optional if you want to watch live TV within the law.
You can make the choice to not pay the TV licence and watch TV on catch up services legally. Part of the viewing public is gay, and they pay too, so why shouldn't they be catered for also?
KJane
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Silver Arrows)
People need to grow up. No one is including/excluding them because of their race/gender/sexuality. Most of the time they're just pissed because their is someone better than them at their job.
It's not in every instance that people are solely held up to purely their qualifications or how well they do the job though, and it's not particularly hard to discriminate and merely chalk it down to 'the other person was better' if an employer does have a real prejudice.
KJane
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tsr1269)
People watch TV shows because they are great, not because they are "representative"...
It's a sign of a really good writer if they can do both though. If more shows could feature complex minority characters with engaging storylines, this discussion wouldn't be necessary and more people would be happy with them.
Silver Arrows
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KJane)
It's not in every instance that people are solely held up to purely their qualifications or how well they do the job though, and it's not particularly hard to discriminate and merely chalk it down to 'the other person was better' if an employer does have a real prejudice.
If I was a top boss at such a huge corporation like the BBC, I would want the best damn people for the job, regardless of their race/gender or sexuality. Nor would I risk airing such prejudices which could end up costing you a very lucrative job.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Meh, affirmative action never works. If good stories with gay characters turn up they should be shown, there should be no preference to either side.
The issue probably rises from writers having heteronormative ideas. You don't get rid of this by judging shows independently of quality.
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Really Eastenders had it as a central story for 4+ years and then ben also came out gay
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think Stonewall actually researched the topic. I'll try and find the report at some point; fairly sure the percentage was lower than 5% of characters though.
This one? https://www.stonewall.org.uk/media/c...eases/4510.asp

There's been quite a few studies on under representation of specific groups in the media.

I don't think Mr Stephenson is calling for half of all programs to include gay characters, just that shows reflect the make up of society and where there are gay characters they are not half based on stereotypes.

It's not going to result in some massive decline in programming standards but could help a huge number of people up and down the country and societal culture more generally.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I don't really see the issue. The reason this sort of thing is encouraged to be on TV is create a sense of equality and "live and let live." Also it serves to reassure people who are gay that they aren't bad people because they are that way inclined. obviously there is a long way to go. Just look at some of the examples of reactions mentioned in the Daily Mail article:

Johnny's coming out comes after the New Year's Day episode of the show saw him kiss Danny Pennant (Gary Lucy), in a scene which prompted several complaints on social media.

One person wrote: 'Danny dyers son............ Is gay? Never cringed so much from eastenders! That's not good. Poor danny.'

And another added: '‘#EastEnders was a disgrace. No wonder it was on after 9. Kids watch this program. Being gay is wrong and it shouldn't be promoted #Dirty.'

(Original post by thesabbath)
The BBC needs to be de-funded. It has become nothing more than a propaganda channel for politically correct homosexual anti-white communists to foist their multicultural identity politics on the nation.
Yeah, damn those pro-homosexuals at the BBC trying to encourage people to be more civil and tolerant of the LGBT society. How dare they?
shadowdweller
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)
This one? https://www.stonewall.org.uk/media/c...eases/4510.asp

There's been quite a few studies on under representation of specific groups in the media.

I don't think Mr Stephenson is calling for half of all programs to include gay characters, just that shows reflect the make up of society and where there are gay characters they are not half based on stereotypes.

It's not going to result in some massive decline in programming standards but could help a huge number of people up and down the country and societal culture more generally.
Yeah, that's the one :yy:

Saves me finding it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.34%
The paper was reasonable (134)
37.02%
Not feeling great about that exam... (106)
29.28%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.36%

Watched Threads