The Student Room Group

Would it be daft to turn down Medicine at Cambridge?

I received an offer from Cambridge to study Medicine. I really wasn't expecting to get an offer and I was really dreaming of a place at UCL - which I can't believe I now have too.

I know that a lot of people wouldn't think about turning down an offer at Cambridge. However I am now questioning my reasons for wanting to go there. Is it just because of the prestige? Does UCL offer the better overall package?

Scroll to see replies

No, I don't think it is. My friend turned down an offer to go to Cambridge to study maths because she didn't feel like it was the right uni for her - she's now at Durham and really really happy. So just do what you want and what feels best for you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you can visit them again to make your mind up.

It wouldn't be daft if UCL is better for you. But seeing as UCL is a top UK university as well, there won't be much difference in the work load and Cambridge obviously has the edge.

But it depends on what other factors UCL has to offer. You need to be happy where you are.
It doesn't really matter. You'll hopefully become a doctor either way so go where you'll be happiest.
No it is not daft. Go where you'll be happy and feel comfortable studying. Prestige is not the only thing that will define you as a career professional. There are many many more important qualities.
Not necessarily daft. They're both good for medicine. What do you prefer about UCL?
Not really, I'm going to Cambridge because of the highly scientific nature of the course. UCL is good but rent costs etc, alongside my impression that it's a uni dedicated to having fun made me choose Cambridge :biggrin:
Original post by Khallil
It was probably more because of STEP than it was because "she didn't feel like it was the right uni for her" :colone:

Haha. As a proportion, how many offer holders fail to meet the STEP offers at Cambridge?
Original post by WinstonO'Brien
Not really, I'm going to Cambridge because of the highly scientific nature of the course. UCL is good but rent costs etc, alongside my impression that it's a uni dedicated to having fun made me choose Cambridge :biggrin:

hahahaha friend you've been misled
Reply 10
Original post by WinstonO'Brien
Haha. As a proportion, how many offer holders fail to meet the STEP offers at Cambridge?

About 1/3-1/2, IIRC. It's a nasty nasty exam.

OP, if you're sure of your reasoning for wanting to go to UCL, by all means go for it.
At the end of the day they both give you a medical degree allowing you to practise as a doctor. To my knowledge both are preclinical-clinical courses but I would strongly advise visiting both again to get a feeling and then going with your gut. Either way they are both outstanding universities so there is no wrong choice as it were.
Original post by Helenia
About 1/3-1/2, IIRC. It's a nasty nasty exam.

OP, if you're sure of your reasoning for wanting to go to UCL, by all means go for it.

Oh wow :P So I don't have to worry about being bombarded with 50 mathmaticians throughout uni :')
Well it's up to you in all honesty. UCL is a great uni too and in such an employable degree as medicine your chances are good regardless. I would say go UCL as if Cambridge was really your dream you'd be dreaming about it no matter how small you chances. Like I dream about going to drama school despite my chances being about 0.5% possibly less.
Original post by Little Boots

hahahaha friend you've been misled

I think what was meant was "..my impression that [UCL]'s a uni dedicated to having fun made me choose Cambridge".

Because he is so laudably high-minded, like.
Well, it is daft because Cambridge is incredibly prestigious.

However, Medicine is one of the few subjects where it doesn't really matter where you graduate.

When you finish, you are nationally ranked. That ranking has zero to do with where you graduate.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think what was meant was "..my impression that [UCL]'s a uni dedicated to having fun made me choose Cambridge".

Because he is so laudably high-minded, like.

i envy his sense of notfun. i wish i was as notfun as he.
Original post by Little Boots
i envy his sense of notfun. i wish i was as notfun as he.

Haha, I respect UCL but as a university to have fun, fun and more fun.
Reply 18
Go with your instincts. Mind you, passing up Cambridge might set you back in the consultant ego trip rivalry stakes in future years. Good luck.
Original post by kitkat1
I received an offer from Cambridge to study Medicine. I really wasn't expecting to get an offer and I was really dreaming of a place at UCL - which I can't believe I now have too.

I know that a lot of people wouldn't think about turning down an offer at Cambridge. However I am now questioning my reasons for wanting to go there. Is it just because of the prestige? Does UCL offer the better overall package?

Hey I don't know if you've made your decision yet but I'm curious... what college? I was in the same position earlier this month - offer for St Johns medicine - but didn't feel like Cambridge was at all for me ...BUT was also afraid of ignoring all the advice of all the people trying to help my decision. After worrying endlessly for weeks and weeks, I decided just to get it out the way and accept Cambridge as my firm choice, but even then still couldn't see myself at Cambridge and worried I'd be missing out on another medicine course I really did love... so I called UCAS, changed the choice, and now I'm trying my hardest for the same grades to get into Birmingham!
After all the drama, no one really thinks any worse of you - they'll just be happy if you're happy. Lots of incredible people go to Cambridge and love it, but I certainly don't think it's for everyone :smile: Good luck/congrats on whatever decision you do make/have made!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending