How to structure an AS Edexcel history question?

Watch
TheMillieg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have a 20 and 40 mark question from my teacher to complete over half term. However, I quite frankly suck at History. I was wondering what structures everyone uses?

Many thanks!
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheMillieg)
I have a 20 and 40 mark question from my teacher to complete over half term. However, I quite frankly suck at History. I was wondering what structures everyone uses?

Many thanks!
Is this for unit 2 or have you just been given normal essays worth different marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheMillieg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy96)
Is this for unit 2 or have you just been given normal essays worth different marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah for unit 2! Topic A1.
Firstly:
How far do sources 1,2 and 3 suggest that supporters of Catherine of Aargon delayed the annulment of her marriage to Henry? (20 marks)

And;
Do you agree with the view that the main reason Thomas Wolsey fell from power in October 1529 was because he had failed to get the King's marriage to Catherine of Aargon annulled? Explain your answer using sources 4,5 and 6 and your own knowledge (40 marks)

Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah for unit 2! Topic A1.
Firstly:
How far do sources 1,2 and 3 suggest that supporters of Catherine of Aargon delayed the annulment of her marriage to Henry? (20 marks)

And;
Do you agree with the view that the main reason Thomas Wolsey fell from power in October 1529 was because he had failed to get the King's marriage to Catherine of Aargon annulled? Explain your answer using sources 4,5 and 6 and your own knowledge (40 marks)

I always found the best way to structure the first question is:

Start with an introduction, here you'd state a tiny little bit about whether or not supporters of Catherine of Aragon, in your opinion, did or did not delay the annulment. After that briefly say which sources agree or disagree

For the first paragraph, it's always best to start with the source that doesn't corroborate the other two (there's usually an obvious stand alone source, but sometimes you have to just look for hidden meanings etc). So, identify that source and pick out a quote from it that obviously differs from quotes from the other two sources, cross referencing is vital! Back up the differing source with some contextual knowledge if you can. (Contextual obviously being information ONLY during the date in which it was published, looks for motives, events during that year etc) Elaborate a bit more on the differing source.

I'd then do a couple of paragraphs on where the other two sources agree, again pick out a few quotes from both that shows a similar opinion and throw your contextual knowledge in again.

Then, if you can, perhaps pick out hidden meanings from the differing source, see if you can find a tiny extract that suggests that the source may actually subtly corroborate the other two in some way

Do a little conclusion and obviously answer whether or not the sources do suggest the said question. Throw in your own opinion maybe!

As for the second question, the best way to do this is to write it like an essay you would in unit 1, but obviously throw in quotes from the sources. Here you're marked out of 16 for the use of sources and 24 for your own knowledge.

So again, you'd start with an introduction. It's always best to answer the question straight away, so something like. "It is clear that Thomas Wolsey fell from power in October 1529 because he had failed to get the King's marriage to Catherine of Aargon annulled" or of course if you disagree, state the opposite (didn't do this topic so I don't know if that's the main reason ) Perhaps pick out a quote from any of the sources that would support this claim. Then, state what the other factors were that caused Thomas Wolsey to fall from power, and again find a quote from a source that backs it up. Possibly state the overall judgement of the three sources, do they agree/disagree with the question?

Your first paragraph should focus on the factor in the question, so address why his caused him to fall from power. Write this from your own knowledge and use quotes from the sources to support your opinion. Do a mini summary at the end of the paragraph.

The next paragraphs should focus on other factors that caused him to fall from power. Use your own knowledge and cross reference again

Then of course your conclusion, do you agree? What other factors played a part? What do the sources believe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheMillieg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy96)
I always found the best way to structure the first question is:

Start with an introduction, here you'd state a tiny little bit about whether or not supporters of Catherine of Aragon, in your opinion, did or did not delay the annulment. After that briefly say which sources agree or disagree

For the first paragraph, it's always best to start with the source that doesn't corroborate the other two (there's usually an obvious stand alone source, but sometimes you have to just look for hidden meanings etc). So, identify that source and pick out a quote from it that obviously differs from quotes from the other two sources, cross referencing is vital! Back up the differing source with some contextual knowledge if you can. (Contextual obviously being information ONLY during the date in which it was published, looks for motives, events during that year etc) Elaborate a bit more on the differing source.

I'd then do a couple of paragraphs on where the other two sources agree, again pick out a few quotes from both that shows a similar opinion and throw your contextual knowledge in again.

Then, if you can, perhaps pick out hidden meanings from the differing source, see if you can find a tiny extract that suggests that the source may actually subtly corroborate the other two in some way

Do a little conclusion and obviously answer whether or not the sources do suggest the said question. Throw in your own opinion maybe!

As for the second question, the best way to do this is to write it like an essay you would in unit 1, but obviously throw in quotes from the sources. Here you're marked out of 16 for the use of sources and 24 for your own knowledge.

So again, you'd start with an introduction. It's always best to answer the question straight away, so something like. "It is clear that Thomas Wolsey fell from power in October 1529 because he had failed to get the King's marriage to Catherine of Aargon annulled" or of course if you disagree, state the opposite (didn't do this topic so I don't know if that's the main reason ) Perhaps pick out a quote from any of the sources that would support this claim. Then, state what the other factors were that caused Thomas Wolsey to fall from power, and again find a quote from a source that backs it up. Possibly state the overall judgement of the three sources, do they agree/disagree with the question?

Your first paragraph should focus on the factor in the question, so address why his caused him to fall from power. Write this from your own knowledge and use quotes from the sources to support your opinion. Do a mini summary at the end of the paragraph.

The next paragraphs should focus on other factors that caused him to fall from power. Use your own knowledge and cross reference again

Then of course your conclusion, do you agree? What other factors played a part? What do the sources believe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much! I don't think anyone has given me such a good structure to use I'll be sure to do this!
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you so much! I don't think anyone has given me such a good structure to use I'll be sure to do this!
You're welcome awww

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1355940
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Changing Skies)
You're welcome awww

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which topic did you do for this unit?? I'm doing E2, the mass media one.
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S.Mundane)
Which topic did you do for this unit?? I'm doing E2, the mass media one.
I did the experience of warfare in Britain
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads