SvLy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone!

I intend to study Spanish and French at university (2015 entry) and am currently in the process of looking at different universities.

Personally, I'm more interested in the language/linguistics side of the degree, rather than the literature side.

Which universities focus more on language/linguistics, instead of the literature?
SmaugTheTerrible
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
SOAS is pretty well respected for languages.
SvLy
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamsmithqm)
SOAS is pretty well respected for languages.
But you can't study European languages at SOAS.
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SvLy)
Hi everyone!

I intend to study Spanish and French at university (2015 entry) and am currently in the process of looking at different universities.

Personally, I'm more interested in the language/linguistics side of the degree, rather than the literature side.

Which universities focus more on language/linguistics, instead of the literature?
I'd recommend Newcastle for language content.
They offer degrees in:
Modern Languages and Linguistics (up to 2 languages with English Linguistics)
Modern Languages, Translating and Interpreting (up to 2 languages)
Modern Languages (up to 3 languages - only 1 beginner language)

On the Translating and Interpreting course you'd do 40 credits of T&I and then 80 credits of other language classes. Post-A Level languages are 20 credits and beginner languages are 40 credits. So depending if you're wanting French and Spanish post-A Level then you'd do either 1 - 2 cultural modules per year.

Modern Languages is similar to the T&I programme except you'd do 2 more cultural modules instead of T&I. In first year there's an Introduction to Linguistics module but otherwise you'd have to do culture (or if both of your languages are at A Level standard then you could do a year of a third language. There's no commitment to keep it going after the year).
Then in second year you'd have the option of studying Catalan, Italian and/or Quechua language. There's also one module per year in second and final year related to Linguistics for each of French and Spanish.

So it ought to be pretty easy for you to avoid other cultural modules. And you can definitely avoid literature entirely.
I do French, German and Japanese. So my 120 credits a year works out like this:
Years 1,2 and 4 I had 20 credits of French and German and 40 of Japanese.
So 40 credits of "cultural" modules.
First year - 20 credits French History, 20 credits introduction to linguistics (I focused on German but you can do French/Spanish too)
Second Year - 20 cred. French Linguistics, 20 credits Dutch
Final Year - 20 cred. French cinema, 20 cred. Dutch

I'm sure there's other unis but I think Newcastle is quite unique in offering the subsidiary languages of Catalan, Quechua, Italian and Dutch and the courses are very flexible.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sml/study/undergraduate/index.html

Hope that helps!
SvLy
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophia5892)
I'd recommend Newcastle for language content.
They offer degrees in:
Modern Languages and Linguistics (up to 2 languages with English Linguistics)
Modern Languages, Translating and Interpreting (up to 2 languages)
Modern Languages (up to 3 languages - only 1 beginner language)

On the Translating and Interpreting course you'd do 40 credits of T&I and then 80 credits of other language classes. Post-A Level languages are 20 credits and beginner languages are 40 credits. So depending if you're wanting French and Spanish post-A Level then you'd do either 1 - 2 cultural modules per year.

Modern Languages is similar to the T&I programme except you'd do 2 more cultural modules instead of T&I. In first year there's an Introduction to Linguistics module but otherwise you'd have to do culture (or if both of your languages are at A Level standard then you could do a year of a third language. There's no commitment to keep it going after the year).
Then in second year you'd have the option of studying Catalan, Italian and/or Quechua language. There's also one module per year in second and final year related to Linguistics for each of French and Spanish.

So it ought to be pretty easy for you to avoid other cultural modules. And you can definitely avoid literature entirely.
I do French, German and Japanese. So my 120 credits a year works out like this:
Years 1,2 and 4 I had 20 credits of French and German and 40 of Japanese.
So 40 credits of "cultural" modules.
First year - 20 credits French History, 20 credits introduction to linguistics (I focused on German but you can do French/Spanish too)
Second Year - 20 cred. French Linguistics, 20 credits Dutch
Final Year - 20 cred. French cinema, 20 cred. Dutch

I'm sure there's other unis but I think Newcastle is quite unique in offering the subsidiary languages of Catalan, Quechua, Italian and Dutch and the courses are very flexible.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sml/study/undergraduate/index.html

Hope that helps!
That's great! Thank you so much!
username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SvLy)
Hi everyone!

Have you looked at Exeter? I'm applying for Italian and one of the big things that interests me is the chance to focus on things such as dialectology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mand08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
definitely look at York they don't have a compulsory lit module with their languages and the courses involve a lot of linguistics
FionaMG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mand08)
definitely look at York they don't have a compulsory lit module with their languages and the courses involve a lot of linguistics
Suggest you take a look at Hull, East Anglia and Essex too.
Yux
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i was going to say soas...well, they're really good for any asian, african languages...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.79%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.35%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed