Is this the correct way to use the present subjunctive in french?

Watch
Lulu24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
En ce, Je veux dire que, tout les monde ils soient plus tolerant de l'autre que la plupart des pays.

Trying to say :

By this, I mean that, everyone is more tolerant of each other, than most other countries.

1. does it make grammatical sense? I.E is the subjunctive correct etc?
2. If no, how can I say it better?
AnyRandomName
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lulu24)
En ce, Je veux dire que, tout les monde ils soient plus tolerant de l'autre que la plupart des pays.

Trying to say :

By this, I mean that, everyone is more tolerant of each other, than most other countries.

1. does it make grammatical sense? I.E is the subjunctive correct etc?
2. If no, how can I say it better?
First off, 'everyone' is used as a singular, so it's 'tout le monde' instead of 'tout les monde'. That means that the conjugation you're looking for is 'soit' and I wouldn't include the pronoun either. So I would write 'tout le monde soit plus tolérant'.

Also, I'm not sure on this because I'm just an A Level student so I may be wrong, but I think you should double check whether it's appropriate to use the subjunctive here. It's normally used to express emotion or doubt, and 'je veux dire que' isn't a phrase that I'd associate with the subjunctive.

Finally, I'd double check 'en ce' to mean by this as well. I have no basis for this really but it feels a bit clunky to me. Perhaps you could avoid that clause? Maybe you could use 'donc' instead?
Lulu24
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnyRandomName)
First off, 'everyone' is used as a singular, so it's 'tout le monde' instead of 'tout les monde'. That means that the conjugation you're looking for is 'soit' and I wouldn't include the pronoun either. So I would write 'tout le monde soit plus tolérant'.

Also, I'm not sure on this because I'm just an A Level student so I may be wrong, but I think you should double check whether it's appropriate to use the subjunctive here. It's normally used to express emotion or doubt, and 'je veux dire que' isn't a phrase that I'd associate with the subjunctive.

Finally, I'd double check 'en ce' to mean by this as well. I have no basis for this really but it feels a bit clunky to me. Perhaps you could avoid that clause? Maybe you could use 'donc' instead?
Okay, definitely, thanks a lot and with the subjunctive, do you think "Je veux dire que" as in " I want to say that" or "I mean that" comes under the "desire" aspect of the subjunctive as it is a want, or not really and i'm just grasping at marks lol?
AnyRandomName
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay, definitely, thanks a lot and with the subjunctive, do you think "Je veux dire que" as in " I want to say that" or "I mean that" comes under the "desire" aspect of the subjunctive as it is a want, or not really and i'm just grasping at marks lol?
Hmm, maybe. The problem with French is that it's so often quite subjective. So I don't think you're necessarily wrong, but there are probably easier ways for you to tick the 'subjunctive box' in your essay :P A tactic I often use is to write 'il semble que + subjunctive' (it seems that...) when I'm giving an opinion about something
Lulu24
Rep:
?
Hmm, maybe. The problem with French is that it's so often quite subjective. So I don't think you're necessarily wrong, but there are probably easier ways for you to tick the 'subjunctive box' in your essay :P A tactic I often use is to write 'il semble que + subjunctive' (it seems that...) when I'm giving an opinion about something
Okay! so how about if I say, "il semble que la Maurice soit plus tolerant de l'autre que la plupart des pays." will this be subjunctive?
AnyRandomName
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay! so how about if I say, "il semble que la Maurice soit plus tolerant de l'autre que la plupart des pays." will this be subjunctive?
Yes it should be
Lulu24
Rep:
?
Yes it should be
thank you a lot.
AnyRandomName
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thank you a lot.
No problem, this has been a decent procrastination tool for my own French essay so you've done me a favour really
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (41)
22.91%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (87)
48.6%
I'm unsure (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads