azkarthur
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Charite institute, in berlin to be exact. anyone here studies/ed there? can anyone tell me some useful information for international students (I'm from indonesia) that wants to study medicine there?

like maybe the fees, living cost, length of study, preparatory course (studienkolleg), environment, specialty training after graduating, or maybe chance of working in germany after graduating there (considering you're a foreigner)?

i really want to study there. I'm 16 and i'll be graduating in one month. i finished high school in 2 years, but I'm still not sure whether i am qualified to even participate in studienkolleg. I'm really self-conscious you see :| my grades are okay. i mean, chemistry i always get 95+ out of 100. biology, maybe 85+, physics too. as for math... i s*cked for the first 3 semester due to being too busy playing the cool-kid role, and now I'm picking it up. got 97,5 on final test a few days ago, highest on class. and i still wonder if me finishing high school in two years will raise my chance of getting accepted, because its not a really rare case :|

anyway, tell me a story of you studying in germany and some useful info if you dont mind! thanks!
sorry if i ask in the wrong section. or if maybe there is already a thread discussing about studying in germany, i'll appreciate it very much if some of you can give me the link to it.

azkarthur
Rep:
?
anyone?
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by azkarthur)
anyone?
This is a UK-based forum and UK students do not go to Germany for Medicine.

Is your German good enough for you to get onto Studienkolleg, or would you have to spend some time on that first?
azkarthur
Rep:
?
Hey ronove! Its me. You probably dont remember me, but i remember you because you helped me a lot

Anyway, yes i do speak german now. But just to be sure, and taking your advice on not to underestimate anything about learning a new language, im gonna take a 6 month class on goethe institue in jakarta, before applying to studienkolleg. I skipped a year in highschool anyway, so there is nothing wrong in sparing a few months. And studienkolleg accepts students aiming for M-course for medicine twice a year anyway.

Oh, and sorry for asking in the wrong forum. Im gonna go find the right one now
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey ronove! Its me. You probably dont remember me, but i remember you because you helped me a lot

Anyway, yes i do speak german now. But just to be sure, and taking your advice on not to underestimate anything about learning a new language, im gonna take a 6 month class on goethe institue in jakarta, before applying to studienkolleg. I skipped a year in highschool anyway, so there is nothing wrong in sparing a few months. And studienkolleg accepts students aiming for M-course for medicine twice a year anyway.

Oh, and sorry for asking in the wrong forum. Im gonna go find the right one now
I do remember you because you're pretty much the only person I've seen mention Studienkolleg on TSR, apart from myself.

I wish you luck!
azkarthur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ronove)
I do remember you because you're pretty much the only person I've seen mention Studienkolleg on TSR, apart from myself.

I wish you luck!
Thanks man! Much appreciated

Oh, can i ask something? Is it true that even though someone graduate medicine in uk, they still wont be able to stay and work there if they are not citizen?
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks man! Much appreciated

Oh, can i ask something? Is it true that even though someone graduate medicine in uk, they still wont be able to stay and work there if they are not citizen?
I would have thought that if they were an EU citizen then that really wouldn't be true at all. It appears that if you are an international student then you have to apply for a new visa though, and UKFPO (the Foundation Programme people) will act as your sponsor. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/serv...aft/index.aspx I have no idea how visas actually work though, by which I mean I don't know if they're limited to a certain number of years or whether qualifying to stay for the Foundation Programme will lead to you qualifying to extend the visa and eventually receive indefinite leave to remain or anything like that.
azkarthur
Rep:
?
I would have thought that if they were an EU citizen then that really wouldn't be true at all. It appears that if you are an international student then you have to apply for a new visa though, and UKFPO (the Foundation Programme people) will act as your sponsor. http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/serv...aft/index.aspx I have no idea how visas actually work though, by which I mean I don't know if they're limited to a certain number of years or whether qualifying to stay for the Foundation Programme will lead to you qualifying to extend the visa and eventually receive indefinite leave to remain or anything like that.
Ohh okay, thanks a lot man!
Now im gonna find a german forum. Im still not sure whether to do medicine in germany, for 7-8 years, or in indonesia which is only 5 years. The education is certainly better there, but i dont know if its worth the extra 2-3 years includingv learning the language
mariad777
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have the same question concerning age restriction and certain number of years of high school, I'm finishing it in 3 months, but I'm not sure if it's recognized by Studienkolleg, cuz it's external studies, I mean I finish school a year earlier than it should have been. Please tell me where I can find the answer or advise me sth) I'm 16 and from Ukraine. Also, is only TestDaF or DSH accepted, or may I apply with Goethe Zertifikat B2? May I apply to UK university after finishing Studienkolleg? Or is it only valid in Germany? I have IELTS certificate, so there's no problem with language.
Thank you for any help!
mariad777
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have the same question concerning age restriction and certain number of years of high school, I'm finishing it in 3 months, but I'm not sure if it's recognized by Studienkolleg, cuz it's external studies, I mean I finish school a year earlier than it should have been. Please tell me where I can find the answer or advise me sth) I'm 16 and from Ukraine. Also, is only TestDaF or DSH accepted, or may I apply with Goethe Zertifikat B2? May I apply to UK university after finishing Studienkolleg? Or is it only valid in Germany? I have IELTS certificate, so there's no problem with language.
Thank you for any help!
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mariad777)
Thank you for any help!
You would have to ask providers of Studienkolleg about your age. I can't imagine it would be a problem because I think skipping years is also a thing in Germany. In theory I would imagine you're viewed as having completed the years you skipped to move to a more advanced class. Do check though.

I would expect Goethe Institut qualifications to be accepted, but again you can email individual providers of Studienkolleg to ask them to make sure.

I'm not sure about UK universities' views of Studienkolleg - I have seen a Foundation Year or similar which was clearly the equivalent of Studienkolleg, and I would see it as only reasonable for UK universities to accept Studienkolleg as the last missing year of highschool/Sixth Form education it serves as in Germany. Again though, you'd have to ask a few universities directly.

I hope that helped somewhat, even if I am only making educated guesses.
azkarthur
Rep:
?
@Ronove
i want to ask about A levels. i know that the education in uk is ranked like this: early years, primary, secondary, Further education (FE) and Higher education (HE)

which one is A level? and the length of each study. i want to compare it to indonesia, since here it is: early year, primary school, secondary school, high school, and then university (which probably means HE in uk). this took 13 years if Early year is included.
im interested in this since I'm also looking towards UK since my mom's side of family said its better (in medicine major) than germany. but I'm always confused when i saw the "A-levels" thing. can you help me please? sorry for the trouble
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
@Ronove
i want to ask about A levels. i know that the education in uk is ranked like this: early years, primary, secondary, Further education (FE) and Higher education (HE)

which one is A level? and the length of each study. i want to compare it to indonesia, since here it is: early year, primary school, secondary school, high school, and then university (which probably means HE in uk). this took 13 years if Early year is included.
im interested in this since I'm also looking towards UK since my mom's side of family said its better (in medicine major) than germany. but I'm always confused when i saw the "A-levels" thing. can you help me please? sorry for the trouble
Early years is nursery etc and not compulsory.

You start school at about age 4. I read recently that Reception class is actually optional, but many schools and parents have lost sight of/forgotten that.

Primary and secondary education can be divided differently depending on the area and the type of school (state or private/public etc), but you end up with the same number of years, usually. My education was Primary = Reception, Yr1, Yr2, Yr3, Yr4, Yr5, Yr6 and then Secondary = Yr7, Yr8, Yr9, Yr10, Yr11. We did GCSE classes in Yrs 10 and 11, taking the exams at the end of Yr11. Yr is simply short for Year and not used officially or anything.

Further Education is Sixth Form and therefore A-levels or IB etc. It lasted two years (Yr12 and Yr13 or Lower and Upper Sixth). This is necessary to apply to university.

Higher Education is university.

Edit: Oh and I actually started school at age three and went for a year before I started in Reception as mentioned above. I don't really remember what was involved, though we did have individual desks and stuff if I remember correctly. This is not at all standard though. I don't think I've met anyone else who started school at age three.
azkarthur
Rep:
?
ohh so high school in indonesia is included in secondary in uk? do you know where i can find some table of equivalency or something alike, to know which grade i have to enter (maybe A levels or HE) directly if i graduate in indonesia?
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ohh so high school in indonesia is included in secondary in uk? do you know where i can find some table of equivalency or something alike, to know which grade i have to enter (maybe A levels or HE) directly if i graduate in indonesia?
Not sure what you mean. If you do a degree in Indonesia and then apply to a university in the UK, either they will judge its value themselves or they will require you to submit the case to UKNARIC, I think, who often don't do much in the way of translating grades as far as I have read, but just state whether it can be deemed to be equivalent to a UK Bachelors degree or not.
mariad777
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You would have to ask providers of Studienkolleg about your age. I can't imagine it would be a problem because I think skipping years is also a thing in Germany. In theory I would imagine you're viewed as having completed the years you skipped to move to a more advanced class. Do check though.

I would expect Goethe Institut qualifications to be accepted, but again you can email individual providers of Studienkolleg to ask them to make sure.

I'm not sure about UK universities' views of Studienkolleg - I have seen a Foundation Year or similar which was clearly the equivalent of Studienkolleg, and I would see it as only reasonable for UK universities to accept Studienkolleg as the last missing year of highschool/Sixth Form education it serves as in Germany. Again though, you'd have to ask a few universities directly.

I hope that helped somewhat, even if I am only making educated guesses.

Oh, you did help a lot!!! Thank u so much!
I'll follow your advice, I think there won't be any problem
I hope to find some scholarship to enter UK university, cuz it's a little bit too expensive for me, education in UK isn't free, is it?

Really thank you so much, I'm just now more certain about what I have to do hugs
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mariad777)
Oh, you did help a lot!!! Thank u so much!
I'll follow your advice, I think there won't be any problem
I hope to find some scholarship to enter UK university, cuz it's a little bit too expensive for me, education in UK isn't free, is it?

Really thank you so much, I'm just now more certain about what I have to do hugs
University in the UK certainly isn't free, no! If you want to study in Germany you should definitely chase up any options you might have via DAAD. They funded a course I did in Berlin which was amazing, and apparently once they've decided to fund you once, you're very likely to get funding from them again - you're like their little rising star/pet project, or so it was suggested to me.
azkarthur
Rep:
?
would you recommend going to germany to study medicine despite the long years of studying? I'm confused right now because my family suddenly said not to go there because it will take 7-8 years, and told me to go to UK instead :|
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
would you recommend going to germany to study medicine despite the long years of studying? I'm confused right now because my family suddenly said not to go there because it will take 7-8 years, and told me to go to UK instead :|
Why will it take 7-8 years? 1 year Studienkolleg, 6 years Medicine? Versus 1 year equivalent to Studienkolleg in the UK (if your education is not long enough for Germany then it likely won't be long enough for the UK), 5 or 6 years Medicine and the first year of the Foundation Programme (European 6-year medical degrees are generally taken as including the equivalent of F1 already so you go straight to the second year of the Foundation Programme if you move to the UK to work at the end of med school).
azkarthur
Rep:
?
Why will it take 7-8 years? 1 year Studienkolleg, 6 years Medicine? Versus 1 year equivalent to Studienkolleg in the UK (if your education is not long enough for Germany then it likely won't be long enough for the UK), 5 or 6 years Medicine and the first year of the Foundation Programme (European 6-year medical degrees are generally taken as including the equivalent of F1 already so you go straight to the second year of the Foundation Programme if you move to the UK to work at the end of med school).
yeah, half year for the language course here in indonesia, 1 year of studienkolleg, and 6 years of medicine.

wait, i dont get what you mean. so is it longer in uk or germany? in uk, you have to go through a FY to become a full-fledged-able-to-practice-doctor, so it will take a few years more than in germany? wow i didn't know that ._. i guess I'm lacking my research on this thing... sorry ronove for the trouble -_-

i will tell my family about it so they will let me go to germany then. but still, which one do you think is better? and is it true that i can move (in terms of workplace) around europe easier if i graduate in uk?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (66)
27.62%
England (82)
34.31%
Belgium (20)
8.37%
Germany (28)
11.72%
Spain (3)
1.26%