The Student Room Group

Bad experiences with alcohol?

On Friday night I pretty much nearly killed myself. I didn't drink a horrendous amount, but myself and my friends believe the vodka I drank was dodgy/counterfeit. I honestly view myself lucky to be alive, and have henceforth decided to give up alcohol.

Have any of you had any terrible experiences? Have they changed your attitude towards drinking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Were you the only person who drank this 'dodgy' vodka?

Original post by ~Cat
On Friday night I pretty much nearly killed myself. I didn't drink a horrendous amount, but myself and my friends believe the vodka I drank was dodgy/counterfeit. I honestly view myself lucky to be alive, and have henceforth decided to give up alcohol.

Have any of you had any terrible experiences? Have they changed your attitude towards drinking?
Original post by tehforum

This, sounds like you simply had too much and are blaming the vodka, know your limits.
Reply 3
Original post by tehforum

The previous week my two friends drank from the same bottle and had an equally devastating reaction. At the time we believed they had been spiked, but as I didn't drink anything in the club this was the most logical deduction :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by King Leonidas
This, sounds like you simply had too much and are blaming the vodka, know your limits.

Very understanding...
Original post by ~Cat
and have henceforth decided to give up alcohol.

I'm now on what must be my 115th time of saying "I'll never drink again".
Original post by joeymr
Very understanding...

Cool story brah:yy:
Reply 7

I can comfortably say I do know my limits. I had consumed well within them and had eaten a large dinner before hand.
Reply 8
Original post by Autistic Merit
I'm now on what must be my 115th time of saying "I'll never drink again".

I really feel as though I couldn't touch a drop again. There's been times before where I've told myself no more and haven't gone through with it. But i think my whole attitude towards alcohol has changed!:smile:
Original post by ~Cat
I can comfortably say I do know my limits. I had consumed well within them and had eaten a large dinner before hand.

Maybe you had a stomach bug?
Reply 10
Original post by Autistic Merit
Maybe you had a stomach bug?

I would have loved this to have been the case, but I was pretty unresponsive and there are huge blank spots in my memory. I have been drunk before but I literally wasn't there.
Original post by ~Cat

Ok then, so why did you choose to drink the same vodka that had a 'devastating reaction' the week before on your two friends? You say that the most logical explanation is that they were spiked, does that mean the drinks were left unattended?
Reply 12
Ok then, so why did you choose to drink the same vodka that had a 'devastating reaction' the week before on your two friends? You say that the most logical explanation is that they were spiked, does that mean the drinks were left unattended?

My two friends who became ill the week before swanned around the club with drinks in hand, the club in question had a bad reputation. Which is why we assumed they'd been spiked and didn't assume the vodka.
Original post by ~Cat
My two friends who became ill the week before swanned around the club with drinks in hand, the club in question had a bad reputation. Which is why we assumed they'd been spiked and didn't assume the vodka.

How could the drinks have been spiked if they were holding them? It sounds like you should have concluded that the vodka was the culprit (especially if the girls know their limits and usually handle their drink well).
Reply 14
Never really saw the point of alcohol and thus have never touched a drop, there is no tangible benefit to drinking it and a multitude of drawbacks to yourself and those around you.
Reply 15
How could the drinks have been spiked if they were holding them? It sounds like you should have concluded that the vodka was the culprit (especially if the girls know their limits and usually handle their drink well).

At the time it just seemed more likely, obviously a mistake in retrospect!
Reply 16
Original post by Мэтью
Never really saw the point of alcohol and thus have never touched a drop, there is no tangible benefit to drinking it and a multitude of drawbacks to yourself and those around you.

I sadly got sucked into the 'you need to drink to go clubbing' attitude. I'm disgusted at myself and at the majority of my generation. The peer pressure accompanied with drinking culture is sickening and I want out of it completely. A momentary high is not worth the downfall. Sticking to water from now on!
That would be why I dont drink the cheap ****
Reply 18
Original post by ~Cat
I sadly got sucked into the 'you need to drink to go clubbing' attitude. I'm disgusted at myself and at the majority of my generation. The peer pressure accompanied with drinking culture is sickening and I want out of it completely. A momentary high is not worth the downfall. Sticking to water from now on!

A lot of people seem to get sucked into it these days, but it's mainly the attitude that people actively go out purely to "get pissed" that is damaging, whereas many millions of people have actively and moderately used alcohol throughout the years, which is not bad at all in my opinion.
Reply 19
Original post by Мэтью
A lot of people seem to get sucked into it these days, but it's mainly the attitude that people actively go out purely to "get pissed" that is damaging, whereas many millions of people have actively and moderately used alcohol throughout the years, which is not bad at all in my opinion.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. It's terrible but I'm already getting friends telling me there is no way I'll be able to survive uni without drinking, like it's impossible to make friends there without getting off my face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending