The Student Room Group

Is picking two languages in GCSE a good suggestion?

I am in year 8 currently and I am going to pick my options for GCSE. I am thinking of picking two languages, Mandarin and French. However in the same time I am not sure if I should pick two languages. I don't know what to pick in Block B other than History. Can you please help and advise me. This will really benefit me.

By ukvoltaire

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't recommend picking two as I have a yr11 friend that does French and Spanish and he started speaking Spanish in his French exam! Just go with the one unless you can handle two.
Original post by Ukvoltaire
I am in year 8 currently and I am going to pick my options for GCSE. I am thinking of picking two languages, Mandarin and French. However in the same time I am not sure if I should pick two languages. I don't know what to pick in Block B other than History. Can you please help and advise me. This will really benefit me.

By ukvoltaire

Yeh they're really good subjects, and as the above poster stated, how his friend got mixed up, I don't think you'll get mixed up. History is a really interesting subject, well Modern World History.
I took french and german at GCSE and didn't have any problems at all. However I know people who did frencih and spanish who occasionally got mixed up, but nothing grade defining. If you want to do them both then do, its much better then getting 18 months down the line and regretting not taking it
It's entirely up to you and your ability to cope. May I ask what other subjects are in the Block B and what you have already decided on?
Reply 5

By ukvoltaire

Mandarin is very difficult, If you're good with languages then go for it. I don't think there's many things you can get mixed up between Mandarin and French, I had a friend who did both but she was already quite good at Mandarin so it didn't hold her back (she had to drop French though). Doing one will benefit you and doing two won't hold you back or benefit you either.
If there's a likelihood you will do two for A-Level then go for it. If not, then it's not worth it. A language at GCSE standard d certainly isn't enough for you to be able to converse with.
We can't give you an answer to that question. Taking two languages is absolutely possible and lots of people do it and get great results. But obviously, only do it if you enjoy linguistics and other cultures because if you do take two languages, it will require a lot of work and dedication.
Reply 8

By ukvoltaire

Are you currently studying either of both of these? The best person to advise you whether to take each to GCSE would be your teacher.

So far as combinations go, two languages is fine.

"Block B" will be specific to your school - if you choose History, will you also have maths, English, sciences and arts amongst your choices?

By ukvoltaire

i do both french and spanish and love languages! however the slight problem is i do sometimes get muddled between the two, but sometimes it can help! id say french and mandarin will have hardly any similarities so therefore you shouldn't get mixed up!

is there any other options in the box though to possibly take instead of mandarin/french or do none of the others appeal to you?

if you were to pick one id advise french over mandarin as its more widely spoken, and recognised better as a qualification.

i do history, and love it! however there is a fair amount to learn, but so long as you're willing to put the work in (same advice for most gcse's) I'm sure you'll enjoy it and do well!
Original post by AJ2104
I wouldn't recommend picking two as I have a yr11 friend that does French and Spanish and he started speaking Spanish in his French exam! Just go with the one unless you can handle two.

I somehow doubt one would confuse Mandarin and French.
Reply 11
It's good to do two languages if you can. I did French and Spanish (and Latin, and had started mandarin but found it boing). I can't lie, I've mixed up French and Spanish words quite a lot - especially in oral bits of the course. But do what you enjoy, so long as you pay attention, it's perfectly easy to learn 2 languages. (In fact a friend of mine did French Spanish Italian and Russian at gcse and then French Spanish and Italian at a level, and he was fine)

Do whatever you enjoy the most (or hate the least.....)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I did Mandarin and French and honestly could not recommend them enough. I loved them both they were my favourite subjects and I actually looked forward to the exams, ha (well, the reading / writing paper, anyway). Doing French at A-level, still love it to pieces, and thinking of studying Chinese at university. Honestly, languages are fantastic. If you like them, study them. :smile:

Also, to echo what L'Evil Fish said: you really wouldn't be at risk of confusing Mandarin and French in your exams.
Reply 13
relax voltaire it will help u lol
Original post by averyc
I took french and german at GCSE and didn't have any problems at all. However I know people who did frencih and spanish who occasionally got mixed up, but nothing grade defining. If you want to do them both then do, its much better then getting 18 months down the line and regretting not taking it

Hey, same here! I do French and German too :biggrin:
Reply 15
NO
Reply 16
Original post by AlphaNick
ut I'd say an A* in Mandarin would be a great thing to get. It is just the kind of GCSE qualification new employers are looking for.

Employers couldn't care less about which GCSEs you have done so long as you show a certain level of competence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thewagwag
Employers couldn't care less about which GCSEs you have done so long as you show a certain level of competence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure if Mandarin is mentioned itd be an advantage.
Reply 18
It is just the kind of GCSE qualification new employers are looking for.

Yes, Mandarin does seem to be very hot at the moment with employers for some reason. Bear in mind that your Chinese won't be that good at the end of GCSE, though.
Reply 19
If you have the ability to speak Mandarin, some employers for certain jobs would definitely consider hiring you over someone who can speak French. I'm not talking strictly about the GCSE qualification.

If you think a decent grade in GCSE Mandarin from when you're 16 is equivalent to being able to speak Mandarin when you start a job, you are an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest