The Student Room Group

GCSE's

Hey, I'm in Year 10, and have mocks coming up- I'm aiming for 10 a*s.

- how should i begin to prepare?
- how long should i spend revising?

My mocks are in 5 weeks btw.

Help much appreciated.
Well, I'm taking my exams this year and I have mocks coming up in 2 days...so I'll tell you what I know and things I wish that I'd done.
1. If your teachers aren't, how should I put it, the best.. I recommend either moving classes, getting a tutor or going to the internet for help. Personally, I found 'MrBruff' (on youtube) really helpful for AQA English and English Literature! I went from a B to an A* in my coursework in about a week. Now I have to rewrite about 4 essays; this also links in with the idea of getting coursework done to your best ability.
Also, i recommend 'mygcsescience' if you're doing AQA science. He has a youtube account and a website.
2. Download the specifications (from your exam board's website) for every subject requiring the memorisation of facts, e.g. Science. This will sum up the content that you have to know for your exams.
3. Do past papers to get a 'feel' for the exams. Exam technique can be a major downfall for students. You can memorise a text book and still end up without an A*! Exam technique is especially important for english, science and humanity subjects like geography. Know how many points you need to make for 8 mark questions and etcetera.
4. Learn in a way that's appropriate for you. I like to learn long lists of words (like the electromagnetic spectrum) with mnemonics. Anything that will cram this information into your skull! You might prefer using flash cards: the question is on the front and the answer's on the back. Maybe you learn by repeating things out loud to friends or your parents. Try anything that isn't just reading because the more ways that you try to remember something, the more likely it will stick in your head.
Make notes that compress the information into small amounts of writing, then you can read through them on the night before-if last minute revision is your thing.
5. Spend a maximum of 1/2 of whatever time you have to revise. You don't want to burn out before the mocks. Make sure to look after your body and your mind. If you sleep for 8 hours, you are awake for 16 hours, you could potentially revise for 8 hours (this is only if you aren't at school and, like myself, don't have a social life lol). On a school day, if you only want to revise after school, you could revise for 3-4 hours, but that depends on what time you go to bed too.
I hope that this helps. I'm sure it's all just stuff you've heard before, but that's the kind of stuff that works best!
Good luck!:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lauralaughsalot
Well, I'm taking my exams this year and I have mocks coming up in 2 days...so I'll tell you what I know and things I wish that I'd done.
1. If your teachers aren't, how should I put it, the best.. I recommend either moving classes, getting a tutor or going to the internet for help. Personally, I found 'MrBruff' (on youtube) really helpful for AQA English and English Literature! I went from a B to an A* in my coursework in about a week. Now I have to rewrite about 4 essays; this also links in with the idea of getting coursework done to your best ability.
Also, i recommend 'mygcsescience' if you're doing AQA science. He has a youtube account and a website.
2. Download the specifications (from your exam board's website) for every subject requiring the memorisation of facts, e.g. Science. This will sum up the content that you have to know for your exams.
3. Do past papers to get a 'feel' for the exams. Exam technique can be a major downfall for students. You can memorise a text book and still end up without an A*! Exam technique is especially important for english, science and humanity subjects like geography. Know how many points you need to make for 8 mark questions and etcetera.
4. Learn in a way that's appropriate for you. I like to learn long lists of words (like the electromagnetic spectrum) with mnemonics. Anything that will cram this information into your skull! You might prefer using flash cards: the question is on the front and the answer's on the back. Maybe you learn by repeating things out loud to friends or your parents. Try anything that isn't just reading because the more ways that you try to remember something, the more likely it will stick in your head.
Make notes that compress the information into small amounts of writing, then you can read through them on the night before-if last minute revision is your thing.
5. Spend a maximum of 1/2 of whatever time you have to revise. You don't want to burn out before the mocks. Make sure to look after your body and your mind. If you sleep for 8 hours, you are awake for 16 hours, you could potentially revise for 8 hours (this is only if you aren't at school and, like myself, don't have a social life lol). On a school day, if you only want to revise after school, you could revise for 3-4 hours, but that depends on what time you go to bed too.
I hope that this helps. I'm sure it's all just stuff you've heard before, but that's the kind of stuff that works best!

This is pretty excellent advice actually, although I don't agree with point 5. The OP is in Year 10, so I think it's pretty insane to expect to revise for 8 hours a day. Even 3-4 hours is pretty excessive for mocks. The key is that you need to revise as much as you need to revise - regardless of whether that takes 10 minutes a day or 3 hours.
Reply 3
Original post by Lauralaughsalot

Thank you for such detailed and motivational advice, means a lot- i'll be sure to get back to you once i get my a*'s :wink:
Good Luck with your own mocks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest