Favorite Areas of Philosophy

Watch this thread
Micccol
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So it seems for the past week or so the same philosophy topics have been bouncing around so I figured something new and personal would be fun.

What is your favorite area of philosophy? Or do you not even have a favorite area you just really enjoy thinking the deep thoughts?

For me I personally enjoy Ethics, Epistemology, and Nietzsche's works. Hoping to get around to some Political Philosophy eventually.

Let's get this going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Calvin
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I used to hate aesthetics, but as I've moved out of philosophy into software, and then into user experience design I find myself reading a lot about the value of good design and beautiful works. Architecture and service design in particular are interesting to me at the moment so I spend a lot of time reading Metropolis Magazine and things like Alain de Botton's Architecture of Happiness. Why should we make beautiful buildings rather than purely functional ones. Or simple, delightful services or software rather than cheap or practical ones. Is the most efficient solution the best?

An analogy - The rail trip to Paris is slow and people complain. You could spend a billion dollars improving the Channel Tunnel rail service to make it 10 minutes faster. OR you could spend a billion dollars to instead provide free champagne, and white tie table service to everybody on the train and they wouldn't care that it's slow, it would seem luxurious. We often value time or money at the expense of other things. But then we give up time and money to get those things back (vacations etc).
Why do we work hard to produce a lot instead of work less and produce enough?

Thoughts in this area quickly lead me into politics, social change etc. When I studied it at university I didn't give it the time to really understand that, but I'm finding it very revitalizing at the moment.
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The one where they don't put 'ism' on the end of everything. Unismism?
Plainview
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Epistemology mostly. Especially hermeneutics.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Calvin)
I used to hate aesthetics, but as I've moved out of philosophy into software, and then into user experience design I find myself reading a lot about the value of good design and beautiful works. Architecture and service design in particular are interesting to me at the moment so I spend a lot of time reading Metropolis Magazine and things like Alain de Botton's Architecture of Happiness. Why should we make beautiful buildings rather than purely functional ones. Or simple, delightful services or software rather than cheap or practical ones. Is the most efficient solution the best?

An analogy - The rail trip to Paris is slow and people complain. You could spend a billion dollars improving the Channel Tunnel rail service to make it 10 minutes faster. OR you could spend a billion dollars to instead provide free champagne, and white tie table service to everybody on the train and they wouldn't care that it's slow, it would seem luxurious. We often value time or money at the expense of other things. But then we give up time and money to get those things back (vacations etc).
Why do we work hard to produce a lot instead of work less and produce enough?

Thoughts in this area quickly lead me into politics, social change etc. When I studied it at university I didn't give it the time to really understand that, but I'm finding it very revitalizing at the moment.
Because working harder to produce more makes the guys at the top more money.
TurboCretin
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Moral and political philosophy.
Calvin
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
Because working harder to produce more makes the guys at the top more money.
Ah thanks, you've solved that one.
TurboCretin
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ah thanks, you've solved that one.
Were you expecting more?
Calvin
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Were you expecting more?
I was hoping for something on topic to the thread, but if we're going to answer rhetorical questions then some originality would be good.
TurboCretin
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I was hoping for something on topic to the thread, but if we're going to answer rhetorical questions then some originality would be good.
It was a simple question with a simple answer, no need to get angry. If it was rhetorical then why were you expecting any answer at all, never mind something 'more on-topic'? And what does 'more on-topic' mean?
Add!ction
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Consequential ethics.
Calvin
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It was a simple question with a simple answer, no need to get angry. If it was rhetorical then why were you expecting any answer at all, never mind something 'more on-topic'? And what does 'more on-topic' mean?
Answering the question the OP posed, or thoughtful additions to what others have written which expand on the title question.
JohnPaul_
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Meta ethics & epistemology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
captain.sensible
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
randism/objectivism
classical liberalism/individualism
so mostly political and moral philosophy
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Philosophy of religion, Metaphysics of Modality, Logic and Epistemology.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Any philosophy which is related to science or technology. Also Moral and political philosophy.
little_tom
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I would say analytic philosophy; the discussion of what we can or can't say, the truth and falsity of certain statements, and essentially most things the Vienna Circle and Wittgenstein got gung-ho about. This is quite a broad topic in itself and covers most things from meta-ethics (like the is-ought problem/Hume's law) right to the philosophy of religion.
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Environmentalism, ethics
Suetonius
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Existentialism, phenomenology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.38%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.03%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.35%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
25.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
19.85%

Watched Threads